How do you pronounce "Vista"?
Aug 29, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #31 of 57
vis·ta [vis-tuh]
–noun
1. a view or prospect, esp. one seen through a long, narrow avenue or passage, as between rows of trees or houses.
2. such an avenue or passage, esp. when formally planned.
3. a far-reaching mental view: vistas of the future.
[Origin: 1650–60; < It: a view, n. use of fem. of visto (ptp. of vedere to see < L vidére)
thinsp.png
]

"Vee-stuh" is not a word in the English language. I didn't hear people pronouncing it this way until a few days ago when a lot of freshmen and foreign students came into the school store to get their software. It was a seriously What?! moment.

Aug 30, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #32 of 57
Aug 30, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they want the i to be longer why don't they put another i to make it Viista? These languages aren't logical.

You mean logical like the 'gh' in tough and though? (Just one of hundreds of examples)

Aug 30, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #35 of 57
Trains are Bad, sorry man, but what the hell are you talking about? Seems like a whole lot of contempt for a language, or seemingly any language, rooted in Germanic descent. Aside from the mish-mash of accents and straight up slang incorporated into "American English" (North American, we're no linguists up here either, despite keeping a good chunk of the Queens' English in tact), and recognizing that many words in English are incorporated from other languages without much alteration beyond pronunciation... it doesn't add up to "wrong".

Vista is an English word with a very specific meaning and pronunciation. Vista in Italian, Spanish or in any other dialect where this word appears for that matter is a completely different thing.

It is not like hors d'ouvres or other similar words that have been directly taken from other languages (and often mispronounced). Vista is an English word. In English, vista is pronounced "viss-tuh". This is not debatable.

Sorry to rant - especially if I missed your point entirely (to quote Chris Farley: For God's sake I don't speak Japanese!!!)... just wanted a sticking point here, because in the case we're discussing, the word is not an appropriation.

Aug 30, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vista in Italian, Spanish or in any other dialect [...]

You consider Italian and Spanish dialects? Last time I checked, they were languages.

But, to the point: Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
Vista is an English word. In English, vista is pronounced "viss-tuh". This is not debatable.

However, I am pronouncing it in Dutch, not in English. That's the whole point: words are not pronounced the same in different languages. Example: Heineken: English speakers pronounce it differently than Dutch (Heineken is from the Netherlands) speakers. Same case, different word.

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #38 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mercbuggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would have to say 'vistah' until an MS employee says otherwise. Vista by definition is a beautiful view or panorama, but often in conjunction with a view framed by an avenue of trees for instance. I would see this as a metaphor for the view beyond or through a window and specifically an 'aero' window, which allows the view to the window beyond or layered below.

I work at MS and it is "Vis-tah". Also known as Longhorn (I liked that code name better
plainface.gif
)

Although I have heard my coworkers call it other things too...
blink.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #39 of 57
It's an American-based OS from a company who uses English as its main language, and coupled with the fact that English is overwhelmingly the predominant language spoken in the US, I'll have to go with VIH-sta. It also helps that every single person at IT calls it VIH-sta and I've never heard anyone call it VEE-sta yet.

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #40 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But, to the point:However, I am pronouncing it in Dutch, not in English. That's the whole point: words are not pronounced the same in different languages. Example: Heineken: English speakers pronounce it differently than Dutch (Heineken is from the Netherlands) speakers. Same case, different word.

If we are pronouncing Heineken differently than you then we are pronouncing it wrong. I wouldn't go to Japan and tell them hey, it's ok I don't pronounce anything correctly, I'm speaking Japanese in English. The word belongs to where it comes from, and in this case it comes from the English language.

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #41 of 57
I live in Kansas City and we've got a pretty good grip on Non-Regional Dialect here.

I know many people that say Vees-tuh and it KILLS ME!

Thanks everyone for clearing this up for me.....I can now speak with authority when I correct those fools!

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #43 of 57
It is a little known fact that "Vista" has three silent clicks, and an invisible Q at the end.

Aug 30, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #45 of 57
Most of the East Indian workers here pronounce it "WEEE-staah".
tongue.gif

As in "Do you have your WEEE-staah box yet?" "Huh?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back