How do you pronounce "Grado"
Jan 17, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, how is is supposed to be pronounced?

cha-ching

Jan 17, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, how is is supposed to be pronounced? I'm with the 'grey-doh' crowd.

When i phoned them, the lady answered Gray-doe Labs (as in play-doh).

Jan 18, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #21 of 44
Gray-dough.

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #23 of 44
When John Grado was over at the house shooting the breeze last weekend, I said: "Say John, how do you phonetically pronounce your last name?"

He said "Gray-dough".

I replied, "Are you sure? It isn't Grah-do as some of the boys back at Head-Fi have believed?"

He answered "No".

I'm not sure if this settles it, but I'm with him on this one. I noted a slight hint of sibilance and diminished PRaT in his answer, but I believe it to be authentic due to the overall fullness in his voice.

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #24 of 44
I pronounce it as "surch" or "search"

Jan 18, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #25 of 44
It would be pronounced the way how John Grado pronounces his last name I would think. However, it appears to be an Italian name.

IMO, it should be pronounced like Gro-do because that resembles a more real Italian pronunciation. Although I am not Italian, sometimes I feel a little disappointed when Italian Americans pronounce their last names with the Americanized sound. As a fan of language arts, I usually prefer the more authentic sound in words.

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #26 of 44
In Spanish it would be Gra (like far without the r) do. It means 'degree' (temperature) in Spanish.

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #29 of 44
Traditionally, I believe Italians would pronounce it Grah-do, but since we're talking about a Brooklyn company named for it's founder and current president, both of whom pronounce it Grey-do, that's the way to do it.

Personally, I pronounce it !@#$'n AWESOME.

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #30 of 44
How many more responses are needed
smily_headphones1.gif

Gray-doe
Grey-doe
Gray-doh
Grey-doh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back