How do you pronounce "Grado"
Jan 17, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesselussier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it sound like "Grade-o" or "Grad-o" or maybe "Grod-o". I'm confused, I've heard it each way.

Like Play-Doh with a "G"

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 44
This has been covered many times. IIRC "real" way to say it is Gray-Do. I say it, as probaply do all fins, in way how we pronounce alphabets, Grah-do (without 'h' that is, and 'do' pronounced similarly like Japanese word Do, like judo or such)

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like Play-Doh with a "G"

Grey-doh it is.

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 44
Guh ray dew, or maybe what everyone else said.

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say it, as probaply do all fins, in way how we pronounce alphabets, Grah-do (without 'h' that is, and 'do' pronounced similarly like Japanese word Do, like judo or such)

What's funny is that here in Jämsä (Finland), the local dialect is such that most locals would probably drop the G in Grado, so it would just sound like Rado with a wicked rolled "r." So, a typical Jämsä teenage Head-Fier might be seen driving through town on his "raktori" (tractor) wearing his "Radot" (plural).

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's funny is that here in Jämsä (Finland), the local dialect is such that most locals would probably drop the G in Grado, so it would just sound like Rado with a wicked rolled "r." So, a typical Jämsä teenage Head-Fier might be seen driving through town on his "raktori" (tractor) wearing his "Radot" (plural).

Its common everywhere in Finland, in spoken language or in most accents. Some "useless" letters, ones that most likely get "buried" under the stronger letter, left out and the stronger one get stretched by half. I speak like that too, and not to mention complete shortening of words like "minä" to "mä" or "mää", slang language. Jaa mää vai?
biggrin.gif

Speech is simply more colourfull and fluid that way, by-the-book carefully articulated finnish is so clumsy sounding that it bothers my ears when someone speaks like that. Muumi-mamma drives me insane!

...mä kuuntelen mu Radojani nyte.
tongue.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mä kuuntelen mu Radojani nyte.
tongue.gif

Still laughing. Anyway, around these parts, it's nytte
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back