How do you know when you reached your audio nirvana?
Dec 20, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #16 of 35
I know I've got something good for me when I only have a few things to complain about. I'd be reaching audio nirvana when I stop whining about stuff. so, never. ^_^

Dec 20, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #17 of 35
When you are happy with what your listening too. The inflection point is meh and your mouse doesn’t scroll over manufacturing specs nor your left finger gets twitchy over the order button. The hobby changes for you from what’s next to hi how’s it going.

Dec 21, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #20 of 35
I agree with this wholeheartedly. When I listen to either my computer headphone system or my hometheater rig I find myself just tapping along with the music and just getting into it. I can do this for long periods of time that the wife is not especially thrilled with! :)
When you stop chasing the gear, and just sit back and enjoy the music.

Dec 21, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #21 of 35
I agree with this wholeheartedly. When I listen to either my computer headphone system or my hometheater rig I find myself just tapping along with the music and just getting into it. I can do this for long periods of time that the wife is not especially thrilled with! :)

I ended up selling and re-buying the HE-500 due to the fact that I enjoy the sound and know they fit my preference. I feel with these I can just sit back and enjoy for hours. I did this with a couple of headphones, ended up buying them again as I stopped chasing newer gear due to having found what I like in previous gear.

Dec 21, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #22 of 35
Yep, that's essentially my point. I disagree with this part of your statement: "audio is too subjective", audio is not really subjective at all but how we perceive, appreciate and judge it, is entirely subjective. Many aspects of our perception are shared by all (or most) other humans but our appreciation and judgement is far more personal and only shared by certain, often small sub-groups of people rather than by most/all others. A superlative, such as "nirvana", is even more personal and less general and as you say, can effectively be virtually anything, including being partially or even completely unrelated to fidelity. My original point was that our appreciation, judgement and even our perception itself evolves over time and can be influenced consciously (trained). So, I choose to relate/align my "nirvana" to fidelity as closely as possible, thereby eliminating a large portion of "audiophile" products and therefore eliminating a large portion of dissatisfaction or questioning of whether I have the "best".

G

Hmmm...different strokes I guess. No desire here to train (or constrain) my listening experience.

Guess I just want to enjoy listening to the music!

(puts down his HD800s and picks up his Fostex or Grados) :gs1000smile:

Dec 21, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #23 of 35
When YOU are happy and content :)

Dec 21, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #24 of 35
Hmmm...different strokes I guess. No desire here to train (or constrain) my listening experience.
Guess I just want to enjoy listening to the music!

I have no desire for my listening experience to be constrained by ignorance and marketing BS, so that I can appreciate and enjoy it more, hence why I spend some time training it. Different strokes indeed!

G

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #25 of 35
Chuckle...if imposing conditions on yourself increases your enjoyment of the music, more power to you! :beerchug:

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #26 of 35
Chuckle...if imposing conditions on yourself increases your enjoyment of the music, more power to you! :beerchug:

I prefer to free myself of the conditions of ignorance and marketing BS, if you prefer to remain imposed by those conditions, more power to you! Chuckle.

G

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #28 of 35
I prefer to free myself of the conditions of ignorance and marketing BS, if you prefer to remain imposed by those conditions, more power to you! Chuckle.

G

Well...it's been a long while since I've seen a form of "I know you are but what am I" used as a retort...grade school I think. Well done, sir! Well done.

OK, I'll bite because folks that conduct discourse like you have so far can be entertaining...what are these conditions of ignorance and marketing BS that I've preferred to impose on myself?

GM

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #29 of 35
what are these conditions of ignorance and marketing BS that I've preferred to impose on myself?

I've already explained that in my first post to this thread. Now if you really didn't understand, I'm happy to provide some clarification but if you just which to continue your childish games (and then hypocritically accuse me of grade school semantics) then, no, you'll have to work it out for yourself or remain ignorant of what your ignorant of!

G

Dec 24, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #30 of 35
I've already explained that in my first post to this thread. Now if you really didn't understand, I'm happy to provide some clarification but if you just which to continue your childish games (and then hypocritically accuse me of grade school semantics) then, no, you'll have to work it out for yourself or remain ignorant of what your ignorant of!

G
No you really didn't. Your first post simply made a statement that modified the OP's original premise/question by removing their concept of the 'to me' regarding one's personal audio nirvana and then proceeded to espouse a different methodology (one based on what "IS best"...or fidelity).

No issues here with a different approach -- live your life! What gets tiresome is the condescending manner in which you discuss things. If someone pushes back, stating that your methodology is not the best for them, you resort to insults...calling them ignorant and victims of Marketing BS.

So...

I'm curious, how am I'm ignorant and what it is I'm ignorant of. Am I ignorant because I don't choose to align my listening preferences strictly to 'fidelity' like you do? Seems a tad intolerant if that's the case!

Additionally, it appears you think I'm gullible and have fallen prey to the Jedi mind tricks of 'Marketing BS'...a term you use consistently, along with others, to bash people on a variety of other threads...btw. Please explain how you reached that conclusion. The best way to do that would be to cite a specific example of the 'Marketing BS' that I brought up in my comments on this thread and explain how that 'Marketing BS' that has clearly duped my feeble mind.

I find it amazing that you can determine the things you have from the content of my posts in this thread. FWIW, it may help for you to re-read my comments...without applying any preconceptions/biases.

If you do so, you'll find that I simply stated I choose not to follow your path of constraining my listening experience nirvana strictly to fidelity -- hence the variety of cans I own; some of which I enjoy for the lack of 'fidelity' they introduce to my listening experiences (Fostex, Grado, etc.).

I choose to pursue personal enjoyment (a subjective concept) of the music -- not what 'IS best'...according to you. At times, it may be high-fidelity (HD800 or Planars w/acoustic, classical, jazz) and at other times may be 'less than' high-fidelity (Fostex TH-X00 w/Hip Hop, R&B); my world, my choices, my personal ('to me') nirvana. Other examples of this are my tube amp, Grados for Rock, basshead and V-shaped cans, etc...all of which are, by design, not pursuing your Holy Grail of fidelity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back