How do you justify more than one DAP?
Aug 22, 2009 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Scott_Tarlow

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a zune 120, but I have stopped taking my Pico Amp with me on the go because it is too bulky with it. I was thinking of getting a Sansa Clip to use with my pico amp, so It wouldn't be so cumbersome in my pocket. I see a lot of you guys have many DAPs, so I was wondering how you justify it?

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 37
For me different players equal different sound sigs,cold warm and analytical etc.
Rather than change phones all the time i change players.
I change all the time,lost count how many i have.
Plus some are dead sexy too!

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a zune 120, but I have stopped taking my Pico Amp with me on the go because it is too bulky with it. I was thinking of getting a Sansa Clip to use with my pico amp, so It wouldn't be so cumbersome in my pocket. I see a lot of you guys have many DAPs, so I was wondering how you justify it?

AMP3 is a hybrid of AMP/DAP. which size is 74 X40 x20 MM. weighted 100 grames. maybe the smallest AMP/DAP combo in the market. You need no cable also.
The sound quality is superior. PLease have a look at the comments of the owners of AMP3.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/am...8/index55.html

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 37
Each DAP has their very own discrete features, form factors and sound signatures.

For example, my upcoming x1061 will be for use for video, listening to Slacker radio, watching Youtube videos and of course as a device to play my MP3 collection with.

My Sansa Clip and Samsung are used on the go due to their small form factor. I usually bring them both with me and alternate between them because their batteries do not last very long. My Iriver, I admit I do not use anymore due to hiss and skipping issues.

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 37
I use my iMod plus Mustang for most of my portable listening, bulky or not. I keep a Nano charged up in my briefcase in case my main rig dies, and it's an easy grab as well when I am just taking a walk on the trail and don't want the big rig. Catching a last-minute flight with nothing but center seats available and no tunes sux. I also have my iPhone and sometimes that is all I take. I have family members who love their Shuffle with the clip for gym work and outdoor activities.

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 37
I tell myself that i will sell the excess.

Oh wait, you meant more than one kind of dap. I struggle with having many of the same kind as well.

The real answer is that different DAPs are better for different situations.

Sometimes i just need something that will fit in my shirt pocket - so it's the fuze, the clix2, the nwz-s615f, or something like that. Or i want something even smaller like a clip or a 2g shuffle.

Sometimes i want to bring a huge variety of music with me, so it's a gigabeat with a 120gb drive in it.

Other days the h120 is just right.

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 37
I have two reasons.

1. Different players for different purposes. If I want to travel light I'll bring a smaller player like my clip. If I want maximum storage I will bring my 80gb ipod.

2. I have a mild addiction. I haven't bought any new players recently but I have at least 13 total. I have a particular love and fascination with players that run rockbox.

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 37
It's easy to justify a couple of players. A decent one for most of the time and a cheap one that you're not so worried about if it gets damaged or lost (along with a set of cheaper earphones) to leave in a sports bag or take with you when you're on your way to the pub for a few beers.

Aug 22, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 37
I have multiples since I can't give up on a old DAP/PMP even if I don't use it as my primary player anymore. I also keep them so I can be nostalgic and listen to them once in a while to go through memory lane. Currently, my D2 I plan on using for those roadtrips where I would feel my S9 might get damaged or stolen. My S9 serves more of as a video player than as a music player, though a third of the space is taken up by high-bitrate MP3s.

Aug 22, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 37
I think most of us are trying to find the best possible sound, some players seem to perform better with some music than others, some are more portable and some easier to use but I must say after being a multi player user for years I have abandoned all my players since I bought the AMP3 , others simply don't match up to it!!

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #13 of 37
Quite simply for me I like to load different types of music on each player, there is some overlap and sound signature does play into this as well, e.g:

Sansa Fuze - Ambient, gentle acoustic and electronic music in general

Sony S-Series - Indie, Rock, Dance etc

Sony X-Series - Classical and Jazz

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #14 of 37
Because I CAN
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back