How do you justify more than one DAP?
Aug 23, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #16 of 37
I could only justify 3 really:

1. Gym (my 8gb clip)

2. Bigger hard drive player with lossless (ipod classic? I dunno, I sold mine) OR to leave ipod in the glovebox for a permanent CD changer concept.

3. An amp3 or hifiman just to be so hawt.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #17 of 37
Lets see...
  • Cowon S9: Main player for my daily commutes in subways or buses, with plenty of room for my best albums, or for occasional listen at my job with the HFI-550s I keep there.
  • Sansa Clip: Alternate portable player, for short trips to my gf's house, or when I don't want to carry my Cowon S9.
  • Cowon D2+ 16GB + 16GB SDHC card: Alternate player to my Cowon S9, just in case I lose (not likely) or have it stolen (a bit more likely).
  • Cowon D2 4GB: Ex-main player. I'm looking for a new home for it, since it has served me very well and still have plenty of battery life.

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have to?
Justify it?

X2
duggehsmile.png

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #19 of 37
I love my Zune 120, but the messed up gapless playback really sucks for some albums. Found out about Rockbox, bought a semi-working iPos off ebay, fixed it (total investment was around $35), Rockboxed it, loaded it up with FLAC, and bought an LOD. Now I have two good portable players, and I take the iPod to school and such. Hopefully people will see how old it is, think the LOD and amp means it's messed up, and not steal it.

It's also pretty cool knowing I took a broken iPod and brought it back to life. Getting it for really cheap is nice too.

I'll probably get a flash based player, but not until I can get a good, inexpensive one with 32 GB or more storage space. Until then, I'll stick with what I've got.

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #20 of 37
Well, I justified the Sansa Fuze because I felt that the Cowon X5L was a bit of a brick to carry around, and I also didn't want to damage a DAP like this that would be difficult for me to get again. However, I'm finding that the X5L is gathering dust. I like the features and sound quality of the Fuze, and it is definitely a nice DAP for the price.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's easy to justify a couple of players. A decent one for most of the time and a cheap one that you're not so worried about if it gets damaged or lost (along with a set of cheaper earphones) to leave in a sports bag or take with you when you're on your way to the pub for a few beers.

Exactly!

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #22 of 37
because most of them are broken lol

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #23 of 37
Different players for different use.
One ultra-portable DAC (iPod nano) for daily commuting, and a larger DAP (iPod video) when video playback and storage capacity is needed on longer trips.

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2
duggehsmile.png

x3 even though I only own one ATM.
atsmile.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #25 of 37
X4. I feel that having to justify it would be almost hypocritical, because none of the reasons are really so solid that they have to be the way they are.

Example, there's really NO reason I couldn't take an iriver P7 jogging, even though you could rub a shagpile of reasons all over it (oh it's a brick, it's touch screen, a lot of the controls are not tactile). But you know what, if I just bought it and I'm bathing in the joy of newfound ownership, I'd take it out anyway, and none of those reasons would matter, because at that point I just want maximum alone time with it. :p

If you divide a collection of two players by sound quality, you might find you end up always yearning for the better one. Divide by capacity, there will come a time when you wish you had the one with the bigger collection with you. And so on.

I buy new players year-round and I'm constantly finding reasons to shop again, and really this is just my experience... it's far easier to just admit that you enjoy the different DAPs. Just... allow yourself to have multiple players
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #26 of 37
It's a hobby for many of us (myself included). Fiddling around with them to find that musical sweet spot.

I will sell anything that just sits around, however. Right now, I have three active DAPS. The D2 that travels with me to work, the heavy storage Gigabeat for home use with my HD 600's, and the Sansa Clip for running, workouts, or any situation where I don't want to risk damaging my Cowon.

If the time comes where I buy another player (like the S9 or Zune HD), I'll probably end up selling the DAP that it's replacing.

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #27 of 37
It's an addictive hobby. I used to only have one player. But since joining the community and all and seeing posts about new products, I've managed to go from having one player to having three XD;;;

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #28 of 37
I justify for AMP3. for AMP3 is a totally new generation DAP.

All in one will be the trend of the DAPs. AMP3 is the new generation DAP.

AMP3 has an all in one conception. AMP3 combined with DAP/AMP/hifi FM/hifi eaphone in one package.

AMP3 is the first one DAP applys the class A amp circuit which usually adapted in the hi end amp. AMP3 's sound quality is very superb.

PLus, AMP3 has the longest battery life of 100hours per charge.

The most important to me,it's price is only $149!

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by righteousball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X4. I feel that having to justify it would be almost hypocritical, because none of the reasons are really so solid that they have to be the way they are.

Example, there's really NO reason I couldn't take an iriver P7 jogging, even though you could rub a shagpile of reasons all over it (oh it's a brick, it's touch screen, a lot of the controls are not tactile). But you know what, if I just bought it and I'm bathing in the joy of newfound ownership, I'd take it out anyway, and none of those reasons would matter, because at that point I just want maximum alone time with it. :p

If you divide a collection of two players by sound quality, you might find you end up always yearning for the better one. Divide by capacity, there will come a time when you wish you had the one with the bigger collection with you. And so on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by righteousball /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I buy new players year-round and I'm constantly finding reasons to shop again, and really this is just my experience... it's far easier to just admit that you enjoy the different DAPs. Just... allow yourself to have multiple players
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree with you that there are more and more new decet DAP come out day by day. if you keep an eye on headfi thread you will find out what you have mentioned DAPs are out of date.

Now the DAP comes to the new generation which is not only good at the screen, memory, But also pay more attention to the sound quality it'self.

Hifiman and AMP3 are the next generation representatives. HIFIMAN is a 3 in one gears which combined with DAP/DAC/amp.

AMP3 is a four in one player: DAP/amp/ hifi Radio/ hifi stock earphones.

what new for tomorrow ? who know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back