How do you guys choose what to buy?
Sep 17, 2008 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

-NaCl-

Head-Fier
I know head-fi is a great source to learn more about the headphone/earphone. But being a beginner myself I find it very difficult to even imagine how the 'phone will actually sound like.
I live in San Francisco and I am only aware of Guitar Center for demoing headphones. (Well, there's also the Sony Style store...) I have never been to Guitar Center to demo since I find their choices (at least listed online) a bit limited.
Where do you guys/ladies go to demo budget/entry headphones, mid, and top-tier headphones in the San Francisco bay area? I think there's some store like this in NY. Was it audiocube? What about those who can't find anywhere to demo headphone? How do you make a decision? Take advantage of headroom's 30 days return policy? But I suppose you have to pay for the return shipping cost?

Sep 17, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 24
You have to use the search function a lot to find headphone reviews and people's general opinion on a certain headphone. That will help you decide what type of headphone you are looking for. Once you listen to the headphone you bought, you'll find out what people mean when they say a headphone lacks/has soundstage, is warm/cold, shines with a particular genre, etc and that will help you decide what your looking for in your next purchase. Soon after. your wallet will be empty and you would have wished you never had found this forum.

Sep 17, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidr2287 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soon after. your wallet will be empty and you would have wished you never had found this forum.

I found this forum willing to spend $100 and not a penny more on headphones.
Within 2 days here, I upped that to $150...within a week I upped it to $200 and I'm sure once I get my 595s, I'll up it to more than $400 total damage when I buy an amp and that's just the START. I now want a few other pairs of headphones ...

Sep 17, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 24
I would get a cheap (by head-fi standards, so sub $100
wink.gif
) but well-reviewed pair of cans (low-end grados maybe) and see how you like them. That way you'll get a feel for whether you like the upfront sound or whether you'd like to try something a bit more laidback. IMO most headphones will divide into these two broooad categories.

And then if you say "what the hell, these sound exactly like my iBuds, worst $60 i ever spent" then you'll know this hobby isn't for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 24
Definately try and find somewhere to demo, no matter what anyone else says its your ears that you must please.
As far as not being able to try them out, read reviews and get a general consensus, then take a look at what your going to be using the cans for and what your using them with. Then make a decision where if you get them and dont like them you can resell them for a small loss, or you can return them in 30 days etc.

Dave

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 24
Like they said hearing the headphone is the easiest way to decide, however sometimes that is not feasible. So you just have to know what you like, not only the genre of music but also what is most important to you (bass,mids,lows, detail, smoothness, soundstage,etc.) Every headphone is a compromise so just figure out what you want first. For example I hate it when bass is emphasized, so when people criticize the k501 or dt880 for not having enough bass impact it doesn't apply to me in the least even if it does to a lot of head-fiers. Oh and one last important thing, always take reviews with a grain of salt.

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 24
Lots and lots of reading. funny Guitar Centers I've been to don't demo headphones at all, also no returns. But after reading you seem to get a list in your head of headphones you want to try, from that point keep an eye open online and in FS forums for good deals, when one comes about you'll know your next headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #12 of 24
Read a lot, buy used at good prices, resell if you don't like. You can do that for a long time until you find your "perfect" setup and you'll only lose a minimal amount of money in the process (shipping, customs fees, etc.) That's what I did and continue to do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 24
Yep. I'm at about the same point. Can't demo much where i live (Australia) so have to go with reading a lot, borrowing cans from others if possible and spending a few dollars trying differnt styles to see what you like. I bought some Senn 555's and some Grado SR60's and have now sold the Senns and lookign for some better Grado's.

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 24
Yup, a lot of reading help at making decisions. But I guess it's still a bit trials and error in the end. You may like the headphone, but you still won't know which one you like more unless you compare them side by side. I suppose the shipping cost is the cost to satisfy that anxiety or perhaps curiosity.
Hmm.. maybe FS forum will work too. Reminds me of slickdeals.

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #15 of 24
A lot of reading. Research, research, research. Reading about various products and their competitors is your best friend. That's what inevitably brought me here and of course, the AVS forum. Also, price is a big factor, but finding a good deal can change plans pretty quickly. Before buying my HD650s I was nearly set on buying a pair of DT880s before J&R Music Group had their Fourth of July sale, putting the 650s in a pricepoint where I could spend the slight extra for them. I try to read up on something expensive for at least a week or two before deciding and that has yet to disappoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back