How Do You Discover Music?
Apr 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #31 of 143
This seems like a good thread for my first post. :) 

I'm a big Todd Rundgren fan and when I found out he also did production work I started looking for artists he had produced. The internet and Wikipedia have been a welcome help for me in discovering new music. Sometimes I will look up a band or solo artist and then see who else they may have performed with. 

I will also check out what friends listen to from time to time, but most of my friends are quite a bit younger than I, so our musical tastes are quite different. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #32 of 143
I have found quite a bit of music via Pandora, though recently seemed to kind of depleted that source with my key artists. Also used Nokia Music that's similar to Pandora, but doesn't need some of the tricks to listen here in Europe... Another, especially good these days is YouTube.
Usually finding music using genres hasn't worked too well for me, though the expectation was Acid jazz that was kind of niche that I have found to love and pretty much any band born in that 90's London movement. 

Other than those, I have found whatever routes (Google, wiki, artist forums etc.) I have been able to when I have got excited for some of my newly found band/artist. One example being Daft Punk that I found when they released Discovery in the early 2000 and just started scanning bands close and mentioned with Daft Punk and noticed I really liked the French house scene, with some new examples being Justice and Breakbot. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #33 of 143
Quote:
This seems like a good thread for my first post. :) 

I'm a big Todd Rundgren fan and when I found out he also did production work I started looking for artists he had produced. The internet and Wikipedia have been a welcome help for me in discovering new music. Sometimes I will look up a band or solo artist and then see who else they may have performed with. 

I will also check out what friends listen to from time to time, but most of my friends are quite a bit younger than I, so our musical tastes are quite different. 

Welcome to Head-Fi! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #35 of 143
I'm surprised no one has mentioned SoundCloud yet; I find virtually all of my music there. It may not be the best for discovering a wide range of genres, but, if you find a few artists who you really enjoy, it's really easy to find similar artists based on the former's comments and favorites.

Oh, and like KentF, I'm also new. :3

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #36 of 143
Quote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned SoundCloud yet; I find virtually all of my music there. It may not be the best for discovering a wide range of genres, but, if you find a few artists who you really enjoy, it's really easy to find similar artists based on the former's comments and favorites.

Oh, and like KentF, I'm also new. :3

Created an account to check it out, thanks for sharing and welcome to Head-Fi!

In order of where I go first for new music:

1. thesixtyone.com

2. thekollection.com

3. audiomap.tuneglue.net

4. iTunes

5. Local music store

1-3 I have never heard of but I will check 'em out.  Don't have a local music store sadly. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #37 of 143
I find music from lots of places, the best usually being recommendations from friends, but I find lots of good stuff on SoundCloud, YouTube, listening to Pandora, looking at the related artists on Spotify, sometimes I just go to a local music store (FYE) and just buy a handful of interesting looking CD's out of the under $5 bin. I also like going to Vans Warped Tour for the bands I like, but always end up discovering new bands I like.  

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #39 of 143
Quote:
I was just curious how you guys at Head-Fi find new artists and music.

I listen to classical music and my primary source for inspiration and exploration is BBC Radio 3.

BBC Radio 3 is available to listen to online and so anyone in the world can listen.

Here it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/

There are also programmes on Jazz and World music and a sort of alternative pop/rock music programme called "Late Junction".

I think many at Head-Fi would enjoy "Late Junction". This is music from the pop/rock area but from the more interesting edges.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #41 of 143
It's interesting when you have friends who listen to the same music and suggest different artists or tracks.  That is how I usually discover new stuff.  Otherwise I just listen to livesets and go from there.  If I hear a good track I'll look up the tracklist and start listening to that artist.

May 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #44 of 143
To listen out for music as of yet unheard by myself & for musical enjoyment I swear by Tunein Radio.
Well to be specific, I have Linn Radio and Linn Classical on my favourites.
320kbps streaming either on my iMac, Playbook, Iconia Tablet, 4s or 3Gs.
im actually listening to Linn Radio through Tunein on my 4s through my Solo/Amp and balanced HD25's & it sounds pretty damn good :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back