How do you cope with stress?
Sep 26, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #16 of 50
Things like already mentioned above become natural in times of exess amounts of stress: drinking, smoking, eating, gaming, sex, (loud) music. Anything that takes my mind of it. BUT, that's called escape-ism and is just temporary relief and as unhealthy as the stress it self. To be honest, if possible at all, I can only deal with it by walking away from it completely. Was on try-out recently for a new job and it was so stressful for me I just cancelled the whole thing. God, what a gruesome awful feeling.

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #17 of 50
My pets have always been reptiles and fish. I do find that watching fish float around can be extremely relaxing. Having to take care of the tank wont do much to help your stress, though.

I was never any good at it, but meditation is also a very useful tool both for relaxation and for learning to be more present minded. By that I mean learning to appreciate and be more fully involved in what's going on here and now rather than always worrying about the future or dwelling on past mistakes.

Also from my days as a psychology undergraduate, I learned that people often compound the problem by getting stressed about their stress. So while it might sound kind of silly, try not to worry about worrying. You'd be surprised how much that can help!

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #18 of 50
Pets can be relaxing. I have a pair of 6 month old chihuahua puppies that are an immediate mood lifter.
Aquariums are good for relaxing, but I find I like aquarium DVDs and screensavers as much as the real thing.

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #19 of 50
Dogs, running, reading/writing, music, and of course red-hairs...

All these can help, but like somebody said it can also be a form of escapism. I haven't got a clue on what "meditation" means - to me a load of useless new-age crap. What I find to be the true pass to a stress-free life, even though very difficult, is the process of elimination. In this process you ask yourself what you don't want to be and do (and who you don't want hanging around with). Thus, you gradually remove all stressful events from your existence. Of course removing them all is almost impossible, but you soon find out that just by removing a few the levels of stress become gradually less imposing. In a few months, or years, depending on your willingness, honesty, and independence (specially financial and emotional), you will enter into what I call "useful" or "good" stress. This is the kind you really like, keeps you active, creative and happy...

...the number of people that are total wrecks because they live with someone who's guts they hate, or have a job they despise, never spots amazing me...

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #20 of 50
P.S.

Sorry for double post, got a bit lost there.
People shouldn't have to cope with stress. Live is too short for that. Stress is something to be fought, on a daily base, and eliminated - gradually, but assertively...
Get rid of the things, or people, that originate your stress.

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #21 of 50
Stress isn't just something that comes from the people and things around you. It originates from within you in reaction to those things. Getting rid of everything and everyone that causes you stress is ultimately impossible. There's ALWAYS going to be someone or something that causes you stress.

I personally think the change has to come from YOU just as much as it does the people and things around you.

Just my opinion from personal experience. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #22 of 50
Drugs, sex and rock & roll. The sun comes up tomorrow so wake & bake get a nut and turn it up.   

You still here?

OK
The doc has given me low dose Zanax for times I begin feeling overwhelmed. I've had 40 tabs last six months.

I don't want to get on a steady diet of anything and all the emotional drugs usually knock you on your butt and have to be taken routinely.

That said, the best way to handle stress is to face it, challenge it and eliminate it. Often stress is self induced over issues that can be resolved. I think we use it as self punishment.

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #23 of 50

Quote:
Dogs, running, reading/writing, music, and of course red-hairs...

All these can help, but like somebody said it can also be a form of escapism. I haven't got a clue on what "meditation" means - to me a load of useless new-age crap. What I find to be the true pass to a stress-free life, even though very difficult, is the process of elimination. In this process you ask yourself what you don't want to be and do (and who you don't want hanging around with). Thus, you gradually remove all stressful events from your existence. Of course removing them all is almost impossible, but you soon find out that just by removing a few the levels of stress become gradually less imposing. In a few months, or years, depending on your willingness, honesty, and independence (specially financial and emotional), you will enter into what I call "useful" or "good" stress. This is the kind you really like, keeps you active, creative and happy...

...the number of people that are total wrecks because they live with someone who's guts they hate, or have a job they despise, never spots amazing me...

Meditation isn't total crap. It definitely isn't an end all solution to stress... it's just another way to take your mind off things. And it works. But you also bring up very good points about stress reduction, eliminating needless things from life that do nothing but add it (stress). It simply boggles the mind (or at least my mind) when I listen to other people talk and the things they've got going on in their lives that would absolutely send me over the edge. Is it really that simple to do that, eliminate all of it? For me yes, but seems like for others no.

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #24 of 50
Hi,reading this forum helps with stress, just knowing other people have same feelings, is a remedy
  the old people say two things,
                   1) Don't take youself so seriously.
                    2)Don't worry about life! it,s not permanent!
see ya,  gregone

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #25 of 50
smoking hookah with friends or simply hanging out with friends..

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWolfeCND /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't got a clue on what "meditation" means - to me a load of useless new-age crap.

I'll try to carefully step around the discussion of religion, but I never understood meditation until I read Steve Hagen's Buddhism Plain and Simple.  It tells you how to go about meditation and I found it useful.  This book has been passed around a bit with friends and family, too.

And I agree with getting out of bad situations... I never felt better than when I fled Crazy Rita or when I got out of the Job From Hell in July.

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #28 of 50
Working out, music,playing instruments, video games, listening to ambient music.  Basically find an outlet that you enjoy or that you're good at.

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #29 of 50
Running / Walking / Basketball (shooting around by myself) are all very relaxing for me. If those aren't an option: mindless video gaming. Those all clear my mind for a bit so I can tackle whatever is stressing me out afterward.

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #30 of 50
Music, television shows, movies and drinking.

If I'm really stressed, I prefer the drinking part. When regretful or angry, I prefer something that tastes like a punch to the mouth... Cheap gin usually does the job.

For regular stress, a nice tune and a glass of scotch works well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back