How do you cope with stress?
Sep 25, 2010 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Roger Strummer

500+ Head-Fier
Hello fellow head-fi'ers, I was wondering in this nice and lonely Saturday night, if you could answer a simple question I have got for you.

We have all been through times where stress seems to take possession of your mind and practically every fiber of your being. There are all kind of situations that cause that to us, for some it has been stressful school tests, job interviews, sickness of relatives, love matters and even just being alive in our time and age can be stressful when you open your eyes to some of the darker sides of our existence. 

But the result between them can be the same, at least in nature even if it differs in quality, that feeling that can blind us, can cloud the horizon, distract us from our pleasures, darken our thoughts and sometimes even make us feel like there is no hope to move on.

In the end the world will still go on no matter what happens to us, and we will also move on and recover if failure strikes and beats us with its untamable fury. We will grow from the experience and hope will never die.

After writing about the situation so to give you a glimpse... what the heck do you do to cope with such high levels of stress? It is not a trivial task, since just the thought that something so small can greatly change how things in your life will develop, it is pure and literal chaos.

I could search on the Internet for generic, and even particular, advice, but when I was about to go ahead with that task, curiosity about what the fine gentlemen and ladies at head-fi, that awesome community which I have grown to appreciate, do when they are in time of high stress. What are your personal mechanisms for coping with stress?

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 50
Listening to music that relates to my stressful situation always works. Gives me a medium to express my feelings and let out my emotions thru someone else's words.

Another is exercise, just running and lifting till the sweat starts coming hard, relieves some of the stress off my shoulder.

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 50
I drink coffee and imagine there's an attractive red-haired female with her arms around me. 

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 50
Yup, for me it's doing the 2 things I love and that's listen to music and playing pool. I reckon always having some time to yourself, to keep yourself happy is the best way to take that little break the mind needs and then just get back to gunning it after. Obviously we have to be practical and all. Exercise, etc, things that require energy, release endorphins etc or something like that and helps relieve the built up tension we have within us. Even just doing some press ups and small home exercises will help someone tremendously.

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 50
I like playing music and certain video games (music/rhythm or fighting usually). Exercise is another great one, I always feel pretty good after a solid workout.

Of course, kicking back in a comfortable chair with a good album on is something wonderful too.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 50
All of a sudden I have this desire to get some nice scotch, playing pool with some friends while thinking of beautiful red and blonde haired females with some Frank Sinatra in the background. Sounds pretty nice 
smile_phones.gif

Sigh... these are gonna be some seriously interesting months...

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 50
Playing a good videogame has always been something that has helped me take my mind off of stuff

Sep 26, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 50
Alcohol and drugs are decent ways of unwinding, but speaking from personal experience (and I'm being 100% serious) don't let it get out-of-hand. You might find yourself NEEDING that drink or hit to deal with stress. And from there comes addiction. It happened to me, and let me tell you... few things are as stressful as that.

/end public service announcement

On a more positive note, I also enjoy thinking about women to unwind.

Sep 26, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #11 of 50
Agreed, MuppetFace. I drank too much some years back. It pushed my blood pressure up, but no legal problems, still went to work/class, and I never get ornery. But I knocked it off entirely for about a year. I've gone dry for a few years at a time, too.

But the previous job was stressful and kept me to all hours. Three or four drinks evened things out and helped me get to sleep. Never had hangovers or missed work, but it certainly helped.

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #13 of 50
A walk along the river listening to old music, lay down in the park under a tree and read, a matinee, wine, food; all those things alone, preferably, accompanied by Christina Hendricks would not be a bad thing either.

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #14 of 50
I should add that pets are wonderfully helpful, too. I'm a cat person, so having one around helps a lot. At my new place, there's a calico kitten in the alley out back. I think she was dumped or abandoned. Very affectionate and I'm working on her. She was nervous about being brought inside, but that can be fixed. I'll turn her into a spoiled lapcat. It'll be good to have a cat I can pick up and doze with on the sofa. Always makes me feel better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back