How do you clean your (dark) jeans so that the stay like new?
Sep 28, 2011 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

TheDreamthinker

Headphoneus Supremus
Dear Jeans-Fiers and any other person who know much about jeans,

I just bought a Levis 511 (dark), which is by no means a really expensive pair of jeans. But I rarely find jeans which fit me as good as these.

Therefore I would like to keep them in a brand new state as possible. I am asking because I know that there are some jeans-fans on Head-Fi.org. I already did a lot of research on this topic and did not find anything useful. Also vinegar did not work on my second pair of jeans.

So, how can you achieve that?

I would appreciate some ideas and experiences.

Your sincerely,

-TheDreamThinker

P.S.: I did not want to disturb the other Jeans-Fi thread, therefore I made a new one.

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 39
Always wash in cold water, inside-out with any color safe detergent. 

Don't wash them that often, sounds odd...but wear them for more than one day. (This may be a sin to some...)

I have not looked into it myself, but I heard recently on the radio where a guy "freezes" his jeans, only. There's more to it I am sure, but apparently it is a recommended way of cleaning them by some high end manufactures...sounds crazy to me, but maybe worth looking into...?

Just throwing some options at you...

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 39
lol. look at me in the cat thread. i had black jeans once for a day. big mistake for my household. those things are like a magnet for dust,hair etc. i don't see how anyone can keep them clean. yeah, i did hear about freezing them. otherswise what 155 said is best way for the wash cycle. i wash any jeans that way. hot water is actually bad for almost all fabrics and sets stains in.

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 39

Quote:
Always wash in cold water, inside-out with any color safe detergent. 

Don't wash them that often, sounds odd...but wear them for more than one day. (This may be a sin to some...)

I have not looked into it myself, but I heard recently on the radio where a guy "freezes" his jeans, only. There's more to it I am sure, but apparently it is a recommended way of cleaning them by some high end manufactures...sounds crazy to me, but maybe worth looking into...?

Just throwing some options at you...

I know, some people wear their jeans for more than 7 month to give it an individual character. They put them into a freezer to remove the smell.

How exactly do you wash them in water?

Thanks

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 39
Why keep them like new? Jeans are supposed to be worn in and used. I like them battered, soft and faded. We used to leave new pairs out on the roof for days so the sun would fade them, then wash regularly to get them to loosen up.

Or maybe this is the fashion of the day. I have no idea. Not so long ago there was a big market for used pairs.

*adjusts onion on belt*

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 39
I know that turning them inside out to wash in cold water helps along with adding baking soda and using color guard detergent.

Sep 29, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 39

Quote:
Why keep them like new? Jeans are supposed to be worn in and used. I like them battered, soft and faded. We used to leave new pairs out on the roof for days so the sun would fade them, then wash regularly to get them to loosen up.
Or maybe this is the fashion of the day. I have no idea. Not so long ago there was a big market for used pairs.
*adjusts onion on belt*

I agree with Uncle Erik. To be honest, jeans that look brand new for far too long just look odd to me. Back when I was younger, I had arguments about this with my mom who believed that jeans, like slacks should remain in immaculate condition and should be ironed. Not me - my jeans get worn hard, and I like them more as they wear in. I actually get a bit of grief at work because I hate breaking out a new pair of jeans and going through the process of wearing them down.

But staying on topic - I have noticed that cold water wash with the pants inside out does seem to be best for keeping the condition of the jeans newer if that is your thing.

Sep 29, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 39

Quote:
*adjusts onion on belt*

I would like to preserve things which we like. So that i don't need to buy a new pair every year.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 39
Maybe it's just a matter of opinion. Possibly generational. A lot of people seem to want to keep things in perfect condition.

I like things with a little patina to them. Since my 501s from high school fit again :)D), I'm wearing them again. I like that they're broken in and old. The watch I'm wearing is old. Its dial has faded and has age spots. It could be refinished like new, but it has character and personality. Same reason why I won't refinish my dining room table. It has dings and scratches, but they evidence about 100 years of people eating there. Which is pretty cool when you think about it.

Anyway, a difference of opinion. It is interesting to know how to keep a pair like new.

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #10 of 39
I would hand wash them gently.  You probably wouldn't be able to prevent the inevitable if they are designed to fade.  A bigger factor is how you wear them.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back