How do you clean your (dark) jeans so that the stay like new?
Sep 29, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #16 of 39
7 months? not really cleaning them? that seems gross to me personally. i wear wranglers! the reason i do is because they are literally trashed in 6 months. my goal is to wear them out as fast as possible. i like everything worn out. i guess i am just a lot different than some of you. even my audio gear. i treat it rough so it gets scratched up etc.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #17 of 39
Meh, if it isn't one of those jeans with fancy color gradients, you could just re-dye them one the original color fades.

Other than that, use cold water wash and let them dry in a shady area.

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #19 of 39
To deodorize jeans: sprinkle the inside thoroughly with baking soda and take them into a really hot steamy shower.

Other than that, try to wash them as little as possible. That is the fastest way to make them fade.

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #20 of 39
By re-dying, you mean, putting them into one bucket with other dark clothing?

No, I mean actually buying fabric dye and using a dye bath to re-dye your jeans, it isn't that difficult and costs only a few dollars. You may even get to bring to life some old washed out clothing that way. Maybe you even have some friends who are used to doing it; and if you don't, ask their mothers :D

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #22 of 39
I don't wash them and after a year i get a new pair, jeans that are pure black are hard to find.

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #24 of 39

Quote:
Maybe it's just a matter of opinion. Possibly generational. A lot of people seem to want to keep things in perfect condition.
I like things with a little patina to them. Since my 501s from high school fit again (
biggrin.gif
), I'm wearing them again. I like that they're broken in and old. The watch I'm wearing is old. Its dial has faded and has age spots. It could be refinished like new, but it has character and personality. Same reason why I won't refinish my dining room table. It has dings and scratches, but they evidence about 100 years of people eating there. Which is pretty cool when you think about it.
Anyway, a difference of opinion. It is interesting to know how to keep a pair like new.

I totally agree with this.  I prefer my jeans to look (and feel) faded and worn in.  The furniture in my house is heavy and sturdy but scratched up.  My living room tables and entertainment center were actually built by my father about 25 years ago.  They are made from thick layers of hardwood, almost indestructible but would never be mistaken for new.  I rarely worry about resale value because I rarely sell anything.  I buy good quality to start with and use it until it isn't usable anymore.

Maybe this is generational though.

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #25 of 39
1. Put them into a bucket (inside out).
2. Fill bucket with cold water
3. add a little detergent
4. stir
5. .....wait.....for about 2 hours
6. take out 
7. dry in shady area

...would that work? As many people on the internet say contradicting things.

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:
Maybe it's just a matter of opinion. Possibly generational. A lot of people seem to want to keep things in perfect condition.
I like things with a little patina to them. Since my 501s from high school fit again (
biggrin.gif
), I'm wearing them again. I like that they're broken in and old. The watch I'm wearing is old. Its dial has faded and has age spots. It could be refinished like new, but it has character and personality. Same reason why I won't refinish my dining room table. It has dings and scratches, but they evidence about 100 years of people eating there. Which is pretty cool when you think about it.
Anyway, a difference of opinion. It is interesting to know how to keep a pair like new.

Now im on both sides of the fence, i love patina on everything as well, but clothes are something out of the relm. Now, would you want a beospoke suit having patina, or having the color fade?

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #27 of 39
Put the jeans in a clean plastic bag and stick them in the freezer for a week.  That should kill the germs and the smell.  If they're dirty, brush them.  Only wash them if you get any liquid on them.

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #28 of 39

Quote:
Put the jeans in a clean plastic bag and stick them in the freezer for a week.  That should kill the germs and the smell.  If they're dirty, brush them.  Only wash them if you get any liquid on them.

Hmmm... I'm not sure this actually works.  I'm from Wyoming, where the winters are fricken cold, and leaving something in your car for a week doesn't seem to make it any cleaner.

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #30 of 39
I own 3 pairs of 501 STF's, here's what I do:

1) When they were new, HOT soak them INSIDE OUT with Woolite Dark to wash off any manufacturing residue and for maximum shrinkage. My bathtub turns dark blue after that.
-->I suppose cold water will help with colour/indigo loss, but I had to shrink them. They were still fairly dark, really close to new.
2) Wear them for a while, I've tried soaking inside out at 2-3 months interval with Woolite, this time in COLD, but soaks seem to increase indigo loss.
3) Wear them for a while (the pair I'm currently wearing will have its first soak at 6 months).
4) The jeans will eventually fade if you wear them for a while, no way to prevent that due to UV etc.

Brendan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back