How do you clean your (dark) jeans so that the stay like new?
Oct 3, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #31 of 39
Interesting.
-So if they don't need shrinking, cold will do.
-Are there any (proven) alternatives no WooLite Dark?

-something i don't understand:
I suppose cold water will help with colour/indigo loss <----> 2-3 months interval with Woolite, this time in COLD, but soaks seem to increase indigo loss

Thank you.

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #32 of 39
The more you soak/clean your jeans the faster it fades. So soak little, wear alot. Yeah, hot water is mostly for shrinking, your 511's are not STF so there will be minimal if any shrinking. Cold water will do. I think you need to buy a few pairs and rotate them so they stay dark a lot longer.

Brendan

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #33 of 39

Quote:
The more you soak/clean your jeans the faster it fades. So soak little, wear alot. Yeah, hot water is mostly for shrinking, your 511's are not STF so there will be minimal if any shrinking. Cold water will do. I think you need to buy a few pairs and rotate them so they stay dark a lot longer.
Brendan

Any alternatives to WooLite (can't get them here)?
I personally don't want to wear them more than 5 times in a row.

"Put them into a bucket add a little detergent and soak for how many hours?"

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #34 of 39

My personal record was about a year, for a pair of Nudie selvage Regular Ralfs. Boy it looked good after that first wash. Lost a lot of friends in the process, though, I never understood why they avoided me after about 6-8 months wearing those Nudies.

Quote:
I know, some people wear their jeans for more than 7 month to give it an individual character. They put them into a freezer to remove the smell.

How exactly do you wash them in water?

Thanks

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #35 of 39

Quote:
My personal record was about a year, for a pair of Nudie selvage Regular Ralfs. Boy it looked good after that first wash. Lost a lot of friends in the process, though, I never understood why they avoided me after about 6-8 months wearing those Nudies.

Thanks but no thanks, they aren't worth the fuss. I don't wear my jeans longer than 4-5 days.
Any other options on the market?

Oct 11, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #36 of 39
Maybe it's just a matter of opinion. Possibly generational. A lot of people seem to want to keep things in perfect condition.
I like things with a little patina to them. Since my 501s from high school fit again :)D), I'm wearing them again. I like that they're broken in and old. The watch I'm wearing is old. Its dial has faded and has age spots. It could be refinished like new, but it has character and personality. Same reason why I won't refinish my dining room table. It has dings and scratches, but they evidence about 100 years of people eating there. Which is pretty cool when you think about it.
Anyway, a difference of opinion. It is interesting to know how to keep a pair like new.

Never refinish the dial of a vintage watch. It destroys the value. I used to own numerous NOS watches that looked brand new that were from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s or 70s and worn watches with a nice patina. I would never have purchased a watch with a redial. If someone wants a newer looking dial it's better to try and find an original.

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #38 of 39

Quote:
any other (simple) ways to wash a pair of jeans?
Is putting them into a bucket of water enough?

It depends on how dirty/soiled the jeans are and also how concerned you are with your personal hygiene. 

Personally I don't sweat on my legs or typically get stains on my jeans so I only need quick hand washes in cold water and Woolite. But it helps that I have several pairs that I rotate so they don't see a lot of wear and tear. If you're wearing the same pair day after day you may need to give them more thorough washes (warm water, soaks, stronger detergent).

Are you trying to avoid shrinking, fading, or both?

If you let them soak, the color will bleed. If you wash in hot water and machine dry them, they will shrink. Even if your new jeans just touch water, there will still be minor bleeding of the dye. That's just how jeans are. I remember I bought a new pair of 511's and I tried them on, walked around for only a few minutes, and there were already denim stains on my socks. Jeans were designed to fade.       

Users who are viewing this thread

Back