How do these IEMs compare in terms of vocal sibilance?
Jun 25, 2010 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
SE530,IE8, Radius DDM, and the Earsonics SM3.  How are they on vocal sibilance?  I hate vocal sibilance by the way.  Also, I am looking for highly sensitive(no amp required) highly isolated IEMs that gets as close to HD650(very low sibilance) as possible.  I already have the SE530, and wondering if any of them are much of an upgrade in terms of the criteria that have already mentioned? 

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 18
The answer is very difficult, and depends on your preferences. IE8 is pretty much free of any sibilance, at least in my experience. My RE-252 doesn't have that problem, either, but is already "closer" to being sibilant than IE8. I will not speak for the SM3, as I only received them yesterady, and my first impression is vastly negative. (but I hope it will change with time... and better tips).

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 18

Quote:
SE530,IE8, Radius DDM, and the Earsonics SM3.  How are they on vocal sibilance.  I hate vocal sibilance by the way.  Also, I am looking for highly sensitive(no amp required) highly isolated IEMs that gets as close to HD650(very low sibilance) as possible.  I already have the SE530, and wondering if any of them are much of an upgrade? 

the IE8s in general are touted to be the IEM version of the HD650 more or less from what I've read over here.

Quote:
The answer is very difficult, and depends on your preferences. IE8 is pretty much free of any sibilance, at least in my experience. My RE-252 doesn't have that problem, either, but is already "closer" to being sibilant than IE8. I will not speak for the SM3, as I only received them yesterady, and my first impression is vastly negative. (but I hope it will change with time... and better tips).

Most of the people on the SM3 threads have said that it'll burn in and come good so that might happen for you as well :)
 I'm envious of all of you who can get so many different IEMs lol and different gear. But then again, I'm happy with what I have so I don't have a reason to fiddle around heh.

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 18
The IE8 is a great IEM, and at the moment, vastly superior to what I hear coming from my Sm3
wink_face.gif

I've had the luck to grab them at a good price second hand, but I will end up with one major IEM finally. The one I will keep for sure is the Hifiman RE-252. I really love what it offers.

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
The IE8 is a great IEM, and at the moment, vastly superior to what I hear coming from my Sm3
wink_face.gif

I've had the luck to grab them at a good price second hand, but I will end up with one major IEM finally. The one I will keep for sure is the Hifiman RE-252. I really love what it offers.

heh nice. I'm surprised someone wanted to sell 'em seeing that everyone on the SM3 thread seems to be toasting the greatness of the phones so much so that I've stopped reading cos' there seems to be nothing bad about them lol. One thing I hate 'bout it though is it's design. Most thought the IE8s were bad, I happen to think the SM3 is horrid lol. but that's just me. and design = moot in the grand scheme of things.

Nah but I hope you enjoy them as much as what everyone else says though I'm secretly rooting for the IE8 to be better :)

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 18
DDM's are not sibilant, but they can flirt w/ sibilance if you catch my meaning.  Though i think they may have backpedaled a bit from the edge after more burn in.

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 18
I find the se530 quite sibiliant compared to my other IEM's, the ie8 doesn't have any sibliance to my ears but they lack isolation if you are going to use it for outdoors. As for the the other 2, i can't say anything because i haven't heard those.
But i can say that the um3x doesn't seem to have any noticable sibliance and isolate very well, but from what i read the sm3 is a superior to the um3x in every way. So i guess that the sm3 would be the best IEM that suit your taste.

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 18
was it necessary to create another thread on the same thing?

Anyway..if you want high isolation the IE8 do not deliver that. They have average isolation (which is due to their design) so won't give you that Shure or Etymotic isolation.

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:

THE SM3 IS A FANTASTIC SOUNDING PHONE WHEN PAIRED WITH THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT ,THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION WITH THE SM3 IS THAT YOU NEED A LIVELY SOURCE OR AMP TO HEAR JUST HOW MUSICAL AND ENGAGING THESE IEM'S CAN SOUND  , IF YOUR EQUIPMENT IS FLAT AND NEUTRAL THAN THE SM3 WILL SOUND FLAT AND RATHER BORING AND THAT IS THERE ACHILLES HILL IN MY OPINION AND SECONDLY YOU NEED DUEL OR TRIPLE FLANGE OR AT LEAST LONG SILICON TIPS FOR DEEP INSERTION .

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
I find the se530 quite sibiliant compared to my other IEM's, the ie8 doesn't have any sibliance to my ears but they lack isolation if you are going to use it for outdoors. As for the the other 2, i can't say anything because i haven't heard those.
But i can say that the um3x doesn't seem to have any noticable sibliance and isolate very well, but from what i read the sm3 is a superior to the um3x in every way. So i guess that the sm3 would be the best IEM that suit your taste.

My SE530 also used to be very prone to sibilance ,however i have found that my duel orto tips eliminate all sibilance from them 
happy_face1.gif
  , so try to get some silicon tips with the larger opening ,if they are to big to go on the se530 decore a long comply tip and use the core as a spacer 

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 18
No need to shout at me, luco
wink_face.gif

edit: I have good sources, ie. a cowon D2+, a Clip+ and a Musiland DAC, so it's not the problem. Also, I do not say that they sound flat. Actually, what I hear is an unrefined, aggressive sound, were bass drowns the rest of the spectrum, and were highs are merely sibilant, and mids quite heavily recessed. So it's far from flat, quite the opposite, in fact. (The RE-252 sounds flat to me.) But most of all, the sound is far from natural.
I don't say that this how it is supposed to sound like, but that's how I hear it at the moment, unfortunately.
I

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
No need to shout at me, luco
wink_face.gif

edit: I have good sources, ie. a cowon D2+, a Clip+ and a Musiland DAC, so it's not the problem. Also, I do not say that they sound flat. Actually, what I hear is an unrefined, aggressive sound, were bass drowns the rest of the spectrum, and were highs are merely sibilant, and mids quite heavily recessed. So it's far from flat, quite the opposite, in fact. (The RE-252 sounds flat to me.) But most of all, the sound is far from natural.
I don't say that this how it is supposed to sound like, but that's how I hear it at the moment, unfortunately.
I

eek.gif
  Sorry to hear that ,what tips you using although Im beginning to think your set must be defective

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #14 of 18
So SM3 is the sh!t huh?  I will raise hell here if not, especially if I had to pay retail.  
biggrin.gif
 Now the question is where to get a good deal for SM3?  I don't like this,

1 euro = 1.2387 US dollar

Jun 25, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
So SM3 is the sh!t huh?  I will raise hell here if not, especially if I had to pay retail.  
biggrin.gif
 Now the question is where to get a good deal for SM3?  I don't like this,

1 euro = 1.2387 US dollar

??  The Euro is lowest now than it has been in 4-6 years.  I'm not sure w/ Germany bailing out Greece and continuing problems here that's gonna strengthen the Dollar anymore than it already is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back