How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #211 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are too many credible reports of differences to dismiss them all as placebo etc.

Can you point me to some of these credible reports ?

Sighted anecdotes <> credible reports, round here pardner
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #212 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you point me to some of these credible reports?

Credibility is a personal thing, not a scientifically verifyable attribute. If you haven't encountered credible cable-sound reports, you don't classify them as credible.

Some people don't even trust themselves.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #213 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the problem for me......I didn't believe cable made a difference. I believed that the cable thing was all hype. I knew that it was all just conductive material. Then I tried different pair of cables on my headphones since they were interchangeable and the difference was obvious. At that point I had to admit i was wrong. If I had believed that cables made a difference and they did that would be one thing, but believing they didn't and finding I was wrong would point to the fact that my opinion couldn't have influenced my ears because it would have influenced them the other direction, toward there not being any difference.

You saw the cable, you felt the cable, you liked the cable.

This is why DBT is necessary. Anyone, skeptics and believers alike, are able to be biased the second they see the cable.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #214 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Credibility is a personal thing, not a scientifically verifyable attribute. If you haven't encountered credible cable-sound reports, you don't classify them as credible.

I'm certainly in agreement that testimonials relating unexpected behaviour are a lot more credible than reports which confirm the implied expectation. IMO, someone who reports that he doesn't believe in cables making a difference, going ahead to try for himself anyway, and confirming this to be the case, is far less credible than one where he doesn't believe in cables making a difference, going ahead to try for himself anyway, only to be surprised that they in fact do. The bias works both ways.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #215 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Credible to me means that it is subject to serious scrutiny, so even a weak attempt to control for human bias is more credible, or worthy of further investigation, than one which does not.

It isnt really trust as such it is more about a recognition that our senses are easily misled and so to make it harder to be fooled we should control things that might lead us towards arriving at false conclusions such as knowing how much something cost or how pretty it is. Sean Olive at Harman has done loads of blind vs sighted comparisons and the knowledge about the non-acoustc characteristics of products always affects judgment..

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #216 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You saw the cable, you felt the cable, you liked the cable.

This is why DBT is necessary. Anyone, skeptics and believers alike, are able to be biased the second they see the cable.

I did see them, I didn't necessarily like them of feel any way about them. I did see them though, that part is true. I am not here to convince anyone though just stating my experience.

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #217 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pdupiano, you're not saying anything innovative. I don't know why you needed to rant so long about nothing, but essentially your point boils down to not being able to prove something doesn't exist. Thankfully, karma already punishes people like you by allowing slimy salesmen to take your money in exchange for lies.

Don't push your hatred of salesmen towards me. I made one point, and that this debate is beyond the ability of science to prove or disprove the existence of a person's perception. You've made no point to counter this, right now you're just complaining about prices. And you are obviously a horrible salesman, who calls a device a triangle, when it is obviously a trigonal acoustic head dampener, used to reduce the amount of vibrations caused by your hair. And they come in different sizes for different hair lenghts because of the different wave resonances caused by different hair lengths.....

Quote:

If it can't be demonstrated that something improves something, there is no reason—outside of research and development—to pay for it. Okay, so I can't prove that expensive cables don't sound better than normal cables. You know what? You can't prove that normal cables don't sound better than expensive cables. All you have to go on is the market, and believe me that doesn't belong in a science forum.

As far as I'm concerned you're just rehashing my point with this statement. And yes, you can't prove jack using science, you can only demonstrate it and thus this WHOLE THING does not belong to the realm of science let alone the science forum. And once again, you are still agreeing that this is beyond the abilities of science. But you seem to think that it therefore pushes the subject onto the "market," I certainly don't prescribe to that idea, I don't buy gadgets just because salesmen make their claims. In fact I buy different cables because of what I've found and learned from science. While I admit that science cannot tel me whether or not my perceptions exist, it does have the ability to show me which products have notable merits and are worth buying (and yes I do mean wires).

Quote:

What tests actually tend to show, as I've already posted in this thread, is that normal cables perform better at large distances (like 100 feet), but that under 6 feet you're not going to hear any distortion. That's 1 point against expensive cables.

WHAT HAVE YOU TESTED? This is precisely my point about people making large conclusions based on experiments. WHAT EXACTLY DID YOU TEST? Did you test impedance? Did you test signal propagation? Did you test capacitance, did you test EMI distortions? WHAT DID YOU TEST? And afterwards, what exactly did you conclude? Did you conclude that people were able to detect something from high end cables that they did not from stock or low end ones? Because that's the real question here, not that the signal is kept constant below 6ft. Additionally did you look at the test equipment? How did they record the signal propagation at 100ft? What kind of cables did they use -but I shouldn't digress, none of that matters because none of that has anything to do with what people are able to perceive.

Your post is riddled with this notion that everyone who perceives differ
ences in cables are all idiots who pay thousands of dollars for their cables, and quite frankly it is insulting. At the moment, you are actually backed up into a corner because
1. Science has FAILED YOU. It is unable to shed anymore light on the subject
2. Science has BETRAYED YOU, it has in fact showed you the EXACT opposite of what you wanted. The material I brought up in my earlier posts depicts how science TELLS you that these different properties should affect the propagation of the signal.
3. You're cowering with one idea left... that people who believe in cables, pay large sums of money for no reason. and you are better because you only buy reasonable items.

So I guess that's what it really boils down to doesn't it, you're only argument against cables is that it is expensive. Right? That's why you're so against it, is that it? And there it is folks.... thats the real culprit to this whole cable issue. Once again it has nothing to do with science, it has nothing to do with perception, its just people's wallets -get over it. This whole thing is non scientific so stop asking for scientific proofs and stop acting all high and mighty because you believe in something different.

Quote:

That's not really "beyond" science in any way shape or form. It's scientific fact . . . though I have yet to see placebo cure cancer or anything of that degree like you seem to implied. It's usually smaller problems or ailments.

There was an entire thread on it a while back, did you miss it by chance?

When I stated beyond science, I meant that the question at hand is not in the realm of science (the question being, does an individual perceive something different from different cables").

As far as the placebo stuff is concerned, I'm not sure which thread you are referring to, I rarely visit the science forum because of the whole cable issue and the large amounts of "wallet based" arguments rather than science based ones.

Oh and my claims on placebo and cancer can be found in the Scientific American Mind February Issue 2009. They stated that 2-7% of the people in a group had their tumors shrink and disappear completely using placebos. I think scientific american carries back issues online so you should be able to find the article, they did a whole thing on placebos in that issue.

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #218 of 3,657
Quote:

Credible to me means that it is subject to serious scrutiny, so even a weak attempt to control for human bias is more credible, or worthy of further investigation, than one which does not.

It isnt really trust as such it is more about a recognition that our senses are easily misled and so to make it harder to be fooled we should control things that might lead us towards arriving at false conclusions such as knowing how much something cost or how pretty it is. Sean Olive at Harman has done loads of blind vs sighted comparisons and the knowledge about the non-acoustc characteristics of products always affects judgment..

Thank you for pointing this out, and as I mentioned earlier, Blink is one of the few books that goes in depth with regards to this topic of transferring characteristics onto unrelated senses.

I used to agree that cost and asthetics can lead to false conlusions, perhaps we need to study cost and asthetics as possible sources to what people hear. While it may not show a physical reason why we should hear something different, we know about the mind as much as we know about the universe.. practically nothing. So who are we to say that asthetics and cost don't affect what we hear.

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #219 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to agree that cost and asthetics can lead to false conlusions, perhaps we need to study cost and asthetics as possible sources to what people hear. While it may not show a physical reason why we should hear something different, we know about the mind as much as we know about the universe.. practically nothing. So who are we to say that asthetics and cost don't affect what we hear.

You and I seem to be thinking in a similar way, but my angle of argument is a bit different. I'm enjoying your messages. I think your point of view is healthy and encourages change and productive discourse.

My own argument basically, is that what you're referring to pervades and consumes the whole business of listening to music or anything for that matter. No one can claim the high ground of uninvolvement in this issue when taken to its basic essence.

It's not only about whether or not one perceives a difference between two components with no measurable differences when using particular physical measurements.

It's also about whether or not one perceives a difference between two components with measurable differences using particular physical measurements.

Even more importantly, it's also about the highly variable qualitative judgement we each place on the differences we perceive whether or not these differences are measurable and therefore accepted as being present on scientific grounds.

On the one hand we're smug to dismiss cables making a difference because science hasn't been able to demonstrate any meaningful difference based on DBX testing. While on the other, we're merrily purchasing the next multi-hundred - multi-thousand dollar can or amp/dac that's supposed to make our music sound so much better when another man in the corner is saying 'hey.... it's not really making your music sound thousands of dollars better.'
wink.gif
In identical fashion as they would dismiss the cable roller's belief in cables, they dismiss the conservative opinion of the one who sees no genuine value in the difference they're paying so much for.

The subjectivity will always remain and the more we appreciate this, the less we'll try to impose our opinions and dismiss the opinions of others with regard to how a particular equipment sounds, is worth, and whether or not there's a meaningful difference when a cable/interconnect is changed..

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #221 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do cables make a larger difference in sound than changes in temperature and humidity?

I have found that temperature and humidity have a much, much, much more effect than cables. In general my subjective experience has been that the cooler and drier the climatic conditions are, the overall better the sound seems. The temperature now in Australia is quickly dropping from 40 deg C (summer) to about 24 deg C (autumn). This brings with it - tighter bass, crisper more detailed treble - more transparency - in a way no cable can ever achieve. My opinion only.
redface.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #222 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have found that temperature and humidity have a much, much, much more effect than cables. In general my subjective experience has been that the cooler and drier the climatic conditions are, the overall better the sound seems. The temperature now in Australia is quickly dropping from 40 deg C (summer) to about 24 deg C (autumn). This brings with it - tighter bass, crisper more detailed treble - more transparency - in a way no cable can ever achieve. My opinion only.
redface.gif

24C is more comfortable. Less distraction leads to more attention to the music which brings out the detail?
bigsmile_face.gif
The less I think about the HD800's, the better my HD600's sound.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #224 of 3,657
Quote:

Can you point me to some of these credible reports ?

Sighted anecdotes <> credible reports, round here pardner
wink.gif

By credible reports I mean on forums such as here and the What Hifi forum, where too many people who appear to be genuine with no issues or axe to grind or product to sell or expectations of a difference, report hearing a difference.

If you want me to call them sighted anecdotes rather than credible reports, then I will do so.

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #225 of 3,657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By credible reports I mean on forums such as here and the What Hifi forum, where too many people who appear to be genuine with no issues or axe to grind or product to sell or expectations of a difference, report hearing a difference.

There is no amount (of people who experience something) too large for it not to be dismissed as illusory
wink.gif

Seriously, 50 Million Elvis fans can be wrong
icon10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back