How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #1,831 of 3,657
I can't really comment on DACs and HPs, but for the most important bit of gear, I'll counter that both top-quality and just regular everyday bongs give you the right resolving power...

:wink:

Just poking fun.
But seriously, although I have a BS in Physics, I switched to Neuroscience for my graduate work, so my understanding of these things is rather simple minded. Can you help?

Although the conductance of silver is indeed roughly 5% better than copper, lowering the wire gauge by one unit increases the conductance about 25% or 30% or so. If you have a silver cable of one gauge and a copper cable one gauge unit lower, the copper cable will have better conductance (lower resistance) than the silver. Am I missing something? Is there more to it than conductance/resistance? Can it be explained to someone with only an undergraduate degree?
Without 3 phds... You just won't get it. I'll save my breath

Oct 31, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #1,833 of 3,657
Can it be explained to someone .........?
Yes you Dumbo !:relaxed:
Silver just sounds better - Deeeg?

I am sorry, couldn't resist it.

Moral of the story: How do I convince people ........ you can not!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #1,834 of 3,657
Yes you Dumbo !:relaxed:
Silver just sounds better - Deeeg?

I am sorry, couldn't resist it.

Moral of the story: How do I convince people ........ you can not!
Actually, “Silver just sounds better - I don’t know why” would have ended it for me. I wasn’t trying to convince, I was trying to understand the thinking. He said silver is better because it conducts better, which is true, a little, only if it’s the same gauge.
He probably thinks I’d attack or ridicule, which I understand, but that was not my plan. I want to understand the thinking.

Oct 31, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #1,835 of 3,657
There has been so much misinformation put out there by cable snake-oil merchants that is unbelievable.
There was a time, that some were advocating that because at high frequencies, electrons flow more at the surface of a copper conductor, to get better treble you need to use multicore conductors, that's when we got those 250+ core speaker cables coming to the market.
Yes , electrons do travel better at the surface of a conductor (so I have read somewhere) but that high frequency they mentioned (or didn't mention) was in high GHz !
At 20kHz, a solid core 6 amp house wiring loom is as good as any soild silver cable.
Point is a cable is a non-reactive purely resistive passive device.
Unless it isn't - there were some cables sold as speaker cable, that in long runs (5 meters or more) were slightly reactive and capacitive, some Naim poweramps didn't like them and used to blow output transistors.
A very special case.
Pure silver wire for Moving coil cartridges and step-up transformers were a littlle beneficial - I suppose they could get an extra loop or more for the windings to reach the desired impedance. Again another special case.

Oct 31, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #1,836 of 3,657
Oct 31, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #1,840 of 3,657
You mean like Hulk Hogan?

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #1,842 of 3,657
If they are used for the purpose they were designed to be used for, no they don't and copper and silver makes no difference, nor does how many times you twist it.

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #1,844 of 3,657
Cables matter and affect sound, not only depending on what materials the cable is used, but also it's design
No.
Cables can matter, when their impedance (of which only resistance is of practical relevance) is comparable to the resistance of the circuit with the transducers, 1/8 is a good well-known/cited rule of thumb.

Now, many IEMs, for instance, have impedance below 16 Ohm, even below 10 Ohm (do not ask me why), and typical stock cables can be easily 1.5-2 Ohms. So when someone changes stock cable for the cable of the significantly lower resistance (0.5 Ohm or less) - the difference is there.

This difference can be even more drastic for multi-transducer IEMs, such as multi-BAs, with transducer resonances, where their impedance gets lower.
There changing the impedance of the cables can appreciably affect the frequency response.

I hope I am stating fairly obvious things for this forum, just to point out that "cables matter" can be quite real sometimes.

Another story is when "graphene" cables are sold to poor audiophiles :frowning2:
Show me a stock cable with a resistance of 1.5-2 ohms that's shipped with 10 ohm or 16 ohm very high end IEMs (they have multiple parallel drivers, hence the low impedence). There is simply no way. If so, that is indeed a poorly engineered cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back