How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #1,741 of 3,657
I have a Klotz USB cable. Using this cable the player randomly lost connection to a DAC.
I replaced this cable with a cheaper Hama USB cable. The problem had been resolved.
I can use the Klotz cable for file transfer without seeing any error.
So do USB cables make a difference? YES.
But did switching the cables open up the soundstage at least? Was the veil finally lifted from your music? Did the dynamics improve so much even your wife could hear it from the other room? :D
Anyways, I'm curious about this, did you try to find out what could cause such a problem or you just switched the cable, it worked and you called it a day?

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #1,742 of 3,657
Your cable sounds like it had a short in it. You can find a replacement for a few bucks at Amazon.

Oct 18, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #1,743 of 3,657
I have a Klotz USB cable. Using this cable the player randomly lost connection to a DAC.
I replaced this cable with a cheaper Hama USB cable. The problem had been resolved.
I can use the Klotz cable for file transfer without seeing any error.
So do USB cables make a difference? YES.
You're talking now about a fault in the cable. I think you will find unanimous agreement here that quality means cables that are robust and fit for purpose rather than having some 'magical' quality that subtly affects sound quality.

Oct 21, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #1,744 of 3,657
You are wrong on most things you said.
The people buying "audiophile cables" are just looking for bling-y braided cables to go with their ridiculous 14-driver custom IEMs so they can show off their lack of sense to their audiophile buddies. That and solid copper-body music players that cost far more than a tricked out MacBook Pro. It's beyond ludicrous.

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #1,745 of 3,657
I got cable fever in 2002 ish. auditioned loads of them night n day differences opted for siltechs , $$$ silver cables with a nice blue outer sheath.
got into diy amps etc went mad use point to point silver wire, magical things happened [black gate caps too].
One day i wondered whether i could remotely reproduce the change degree I heard with a passive filter setup.
Looking at the filter values i needed to effect the degree of change i thought I perceived and comparing the cable values , which were tiny by comparison i concluded that what i was hearing was purely expectation, as the cable values would change thing things in Mhz area not khz.
facinating, but still love my silver though best talisman i ever bought :smile:
sure i posted this back in the day, some 20 years ago.

Oct 23, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #1,747 of 3,657
I like to show this as an example of double-blind test. Look at the cheap
RCA-terminated cable used in the cheap system :beyersmile:

http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_marco.htm

Go to "Blind Tests" and clic the link.

Of course one can prove a difference: Play the 'remastered' version of the same CD through the higher end rig! :jecklinsmile:

Oct 23, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #1,748 of 3,657
Components matter. Materials matter.
Low end system doesn't show a cables characteristics, simply not transparent enough.
Higher end gear shows a difference right away
But generally a 2k system will show, but very little.
Around 1k (talking dac/amp/hp combo) just won't show a difference in cables, very minor if at all.
North of 2k with reputable gear will instantly show the difference as it can achieve higher transparency
Its very unfortunate that higher end audio costs a lot even used. I wish everyone could enjoy the best of thr hobby.

Again, components and materials matter.
Yeh, like in materials chemistry, there is a key stricture-property relationships, similar for gullible audiophiles there is a price-perception self-conviction paradigm :)
Nothing better than cables show how much snake oil and crowd mentality is in this hobby...

Oct 23, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #1,749 of 3,657
Yeh, like in materials chemistry, there is a key stricture-property relationships, similar for gullible audiophiles there is a price-perception self-conviction paradigm :)
Nothing better than cables show how much snake oil and crowd mentality is in this hobby...
It's frankly depressing reading through the threads on the cable forum. So many delusional people.

Oct 24, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #1,750 of 3,657
It's frankly depressing reading through the threads on the cable forum. So many delusional people.

It is a waste of time trying to convince them. They simply say that the people failing the blind test does not have their golden ears or their very expensive, transparent and resolving equipment. Preaching in the desert!.

Oct 24, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #1,751 of 3,657
The only thing that Trumps a double blind test is a double deaf test. One deaf person recommending audio equipment to another deaf person.

This is an unbelievable thread. Started over 10 years ago and still going. If someone wants to purchase a $400 cable for their $200 headphones, why the heck do you even care? Instead of posting your disdain for the choices of other people, start a company to make $400 cables to sell to these people. There isn't a person here who doesn't make questionable choices at times. Lots of people casting stones in their glass houses.

Oct 24, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #1,753 of 3,657
The only thing that Trumps a double blind test is a double deaf test. One deaf person recommending audio equipment to another deaf person.

This is an unbelievable thread. Started over 10 years ago and still going. If someone wants to purchase a $400 cable for their $200 headphones, why the heck do you even care? Instead of posting your disdain for the choices of other people, start a company to make $400 cables to sell to these people. There isn't a person here who doesn't make questionable choices at times. Lots of people casting stones in their glass houses.

Your idea of appropriate action would be to start a company and knowingly rip off uneducated/unaware consumers instead of identifying and discussing the technical realities?

Sad commentary how you view this hobby, it’s manufacturers, and it’s consumers.

Oct 24, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #1,754 of 3,657
They simply say that the people failing the blind test does not have their golden ears or their very expensive, transparent and resolving equipment.

The same arguments you get if you point out that there should be no reason for two DACs to sound any different.

Oct 24, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #1,755 of 3,657
When someone asks if cables with different kinds of metal (copper, silver, gold, unobtanium, etc.) sound different, the answer is clearly no.

When I bought headphones at CanJam London they (Hifonix) tried to sell me overpriced (600 gbp) silver cable as well.
They said I should try their cable and I will never want to use copper cable again. It is absolute bullsh1t. Snake oil salesmen should be banned from CanJam.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back