How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 3, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #962 of 3,657
Well then as I thought, carry on.

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #963 of 3,657
You can't listen to music without cables! Maybe someone should start a thread called "How do I convince my friends that electricity matters?"

I just use the cables from Amazon. They work the same as angel-kissed 14k gold woo woo wires. The stock lengths are fine. I find if I run cables three blocks away it takes me a long time to walk all the way back home to adjust the volume.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #964 of 3,657
still no link to the ridiculous (and irrelevant) study, science school 101- cite your references. how does it even define audiophile? the definition of audiophile is: a person who is especially interested in high-fidelity sound reproduction.

how many people on head-fi dont consider themselves an audiophile within their own set of beliefs? if interested in low-fidelity sound reproduction than I suppose it makes sense.

Sep 5, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #965 of 3,657
2. the distortions that im hearing in blind tests and that many others can hear but cant back up
3. ''in general audiophiles tend to'' < based on your language it doesnt sound like this one mysterious study that conveniently works in your favour provides very solid evidence that audiophile have the worst hearing. studies can produce inaccurate findings of course, there is so much to question about that study but its totally irrelevant since I already mentioned the blind tests.
4. Maybe we are misunderstanding each other after all, to be clear what do you deem important when it comes to cables?
5. maybe the question the was badly worded. can you just give provide some details of these systems youve listened to that contain very high quality (but not necessarily expensive) audio cables?
5a. did you compare with any of your own cables to confirm there was no difference?
5b. ... more crazy examples of things like audiophile USB cable and power cords will also contribute to the quality of signal passing through the audio cable ...
5c. you dont believe in this stuff but you telling that you listened to a system like this to confirm no difference in audio cables is what I'm expecting to hear.

2. Again, what distortions? We can measure voltage and current variations in an electrical signal extremely accurately, far more accurately than anything we can hear when that electrical signal is converted into sound and, we've been able to do this for many decades. Furthermore, we can compare two electrical signals (say from two different cables) using a Null Test, which eliminates everything in common between the two signals, just leaving the difference and again, this standard test has been around many decades. Measured differences/distortions are in the range of hundredths or thousandths of a dB, way outside audibility. If you really could hear those distortions, then by definition you would be "way outside" being a member of the homo sapiens species. The ridiculousness of effectively making such a claim is enough by itself but we have even more compelling evidence: Firstly, the distortions which do exist are entirely within scientific/engineering predictions and secondly, in every single case of an audiophile claiming to hear these "distortions", when reliably tested they ALWAYS fail, without exception! In other words, what you and "many others" think you are hearing is NOT what you are actually hearing, you are perceiving a difference NOT hearing a difference. These "distortions that you're hearing" is simply a myth that's been invented by audiophiles because they are ignorant of, or simply cannot accept, the proven fact that what they think they're hearing is significantly different to what they're actually hearing. Obviously and demonstrably, this is the reason why audiophiles can NEVER "back up" the claim of these audible "distortions", because they are a myth which do not exist!

3. No, I am not referring to "one mysterious study". There have been countless studies during the last 40 years or so, not specifically testing audiophile vs. others' differentiation abilities but testing the audibility of various aspects of audio recording and reproduction. Many of these studies have used trained/professional listeners, general members of the public and audiophiles. In those studies which present their results broken down into these groups, audiophiles either perform the same as the two other groups or less well, depending on what the study is specifically testing. I know of no reliable, published studies where audiophiles out performed both of the other groups, do you?

4. That they can perform the role for which they were designed without any audible distortion, even in those cases where the signal (including any distortions/interference) they are transferring has to be amplified many times. I do not "deem important" the number of strands, what those strands are made of, the insulation or any other property of the cable, provided they perform as just described. The only addition to this, which is specific to my personal circumstances, is a higher level of physical robustness in certain of my cables than the typical consumer would need. This is because in a studio/professional situation some of the cables we use are subject to far more severe, long term physical abuse.

5. Not briefly or easily. I've worked in probably 200 commercial studios over a period of 35 years or so. All of them had high quality but not expensive cables, all of them had very good, excellent or world leading systems/listening environments. I've never encountered an audiophile system which could compare. The best I've heard I would categorise as "good" and several, even very expensive ones ($100k+) were really quite poor.
5a. Only a couple of times in other commercial studios but in my own, quite a few times. Stock OEM cables, standard pro audio cables and some audiophile cables. And, by "compare" I mean blind testing, measurements and null tests.
5b. Assuming you haven't got a faulty/extremely poorly designed unit, then the signal coming out of the unit will in no way be affected by an audiophile USB or power cable. Again, it's simple to test this for yourself, a quick loop-back recording using two different cables and some free software. ... This is the science forum, you cannot make claims/assertions like the one quoted which contradict the actual facts, without reliable evidence!
5c. No, that is NOT what I'm "telling you"! What I'm telling you is that having higher or even the highest quality system and very highly trained hearing does NOT somehow make distortions which are hundreds/thousands of times below audibility suddenly audible, for anyone (including audiophile cable believers). However, while it's obvious that you cannot hear something so far below the threshold of audibility, I do not know for certain what you are "expecting to hear" or how that is affecting your personal perception. All I can say with certainty is that as the distortions are way below audibility then the ONLY remaining, rational explanation for your perception of a difference is your perception itself!

section 2:
[1] what is a listening environment and why does this matter for headphones?
[2] I listen through headphones in a very quiet location, all of my system is DIY or heavily modified, a lot of care and time has been put into to achieve the most realistic sound, this doesnt involve money..
[3] I think your systems could be exceptionally good (better than mine even) in certain areas but lacking in other seemingly unimportant areas where as mine is consistently good in every single area. [3a] this is general statement but should apply to most, [3b] getting into specifics wouldnt be worth it.

1. Do you honestly not know?

2. Trying to "achieve the most realistic sound" is doomed to failure and futile, how did you manage to miss this fact with all your "research, experimentation and dedication"? As virtually all commercial music is produced primarily for speakers, you're never going to achieve "realistic sound" with headphones, no matter how good or expensive they are. If the goal is to "achieve the most realistic sound" then you need to be looking at a speaker based system, not headphones. This isn't to say of course that one can't have a very enjoyable experience listening with headphones but then we're talking about personal tastes and preferences, not accuracy/realism!

3. What do you mean "I think", don't you know? And, if you don't know, then why make such an assertion at all, let alone here in the science forum? In what "areas" are the world class systems I've used lacking? And, by virtue of the fact that you are using headphones, there are at least a couple of areas where your system MUST be severely lacking! Stereo imaging (width, separation,depth/positioning) and bass response for example.
3a. You just made-up the previous sentence, you have little or no actual experience or knowledge of world class commercial studio systems, you even admit that you only "think" rather than "know". So, how can you then say that your made-up sentence "should apply to most"?
3b. Why not? Is it because "getting into specifics" would clearly indicate that you're just making up nonsense? How do you arrive at the conclusion that your amateur DIY efforts are superior to nearly a century of commercial studio design innovation and the multi-million dollar budgets commercial studios spend to implement them? If you really had designed such a "consistently good in every single area" system for a few grand or even several tens of thousands, then what are you doing here? You'd be too swamped by demand from countless thousands of studios all over the globe!

So cables do matter ? Confused.

Huh? Of course cables matter, have you ever tried swapping a USB cable for a power cord? How did you get the connectors to fit or any signal from it? How can it not be obvious that when we're talking about no audible difference between cables, we're talking about no audible difference between cables designed for the same task?

still no link to the ridiculous (and irrelevant) study, science school 101- cite your references.

You are the one making the claim that we can't hear differences due to poor equipment and/or hearing and that the supposed cable induced distortions are audible, where are YOUR references? Are you admitting you haven't yet reached the level of science school 101 or are you just being astonishingly hypocritical?

G

Sep 5, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #966 of 3,657
so Im confused, so cables don't matter if they are the same connections. So now we are back to everyone gets one cable, the same cable so there is no difference in cables?

Sep 5, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #968 of 3,657
Sometimes obtuseness leads to a breakthrough in answering the question. "how does one convince folks cables don't matter. Give them all the same cable...:nerd:

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #969 of 3,657
even longer post

2. blind test. multiple cables including 2 good quality stock headphone cables. PASS... there is no way for you to explain that other than the anticipated claim of a flawed test.

3. How many studies ''prove'' there is no difference between cables? surely even more than the hearing studies. I take any studies with a grain of salt now. There is no argument against them which makes it very frustrating... The cables shouldn't be different and there is so much evidence to support this but I know for a fact they are!!!

4.You are misinterpretating the first post. look back to my original sentence directed to another ''believer'': ''but most important is how many others aspects of the system would be completely overlooked when someone hasnt even realised the importance of audio cables.'' obviously you realise they are important to some extent, but not the true importance, what this whole thread is based on.

5. so you tested multiple good cables and couldnt hear a difference? fair enough, right now the evidence we could put towards building our own study (assuming we believe each others reports) sits at 1 for any half-good cable sounding the same and 1 for multiple good cables exhibiting differences in resolution and presentation when there should be none... the only gripe I have about this study is that failing a test intentionally, even subconsciously, is possible but passing one intentionally is not. it would be embarassing to have spent years believing one thing for it proven wrong so it makes sense.

5b. like my blind test?

5c. well then why are you telling me that? still havent read the part about blind tests? is it that you are so used to replying to people who only have reports based on sighted listening?

1. its very quiet I suppose? I have heard a lot of supposedly inaudible things in my fairly normal listening environment so it doesnt seem like a big deal here.

2. the most realistic sound possible with headphones, that wasnt clear? we are on a headphone forum after all. headphones have drawbacks, cost isnt one of them. a great headphone system is much more accessible than a great speaker system, most arent as lucky as you. of course we already know why the drawbacks of headphones are irrelevant to the discussion of cable differences... I needn't say it again.

3. by ''your systems'' I meant ''non-believer'' systems, definitely not the studios you mentioned, I know nothing about them and I would have been interested to hear some details. the general statement should apply to most ''non-believers''.
staying direct then, I dont know anything about your personal system to say ''I know'' their are areas overlooked. is it computer based? an ipod? any modification or DIY?
I dont want to get into specifics because its a waste of my time, you will just type out a big reply telling me how each thing is nonsense, inaudible etc. I would rather share the info with someone who could appreciate it.

finally I have nothing to cite and nothing to prove even if it seems that way, I know the only people who will take me seriously have heard already the differences. Its just odd that you dont provide a single link, that's all

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #970 of 3,657
Are you an audiophool?

Hearing
inaudible things is called being a victim of placebo effect. Snake oil is known for making the symptoms worse. Treatment: Scientific studies, practise of critical thinking and in severe cases humbling double blind listening tests.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #971 of 3,657
2. blind test. multiple cables including 2 good quality stock headphone cables. PASS... there is no way for you to explain that other than the anticipated claim of a flawed test.
3. How many studies ''prove'' there is no difference between cables? surely even more than the hearing studies. [3a] I take any studies with a grain of salt now. [3b] There is no argument against them which makes it very frustrating... [3c] The cables shouldn't be different and there is so much evidence to support this but I know for a fact they are!!!
4.You are misinterpretating the first post. look back to my original sentence directed to another ''believer'': ''but most important is how many others aspects of the system would be completely overlooked when someone hasnt even realised the importance of audio cables.'' obviously you realise they are important to some extent, but not the true importance, what this whole thread is based on.
5. so you tested multiple good cables and couldnt hear a difference? fair enough, right now the evidence we could put towards building our own study (assuming we believe each others reports) sits at 1 for any half-good cable sounding the same and 1 for multiple good cables exhibiting differences in resolution and presentation when there should be none... [5a] the only gripe I have about this study is that failing a test intentionally, even subconsciously, is possible but passing one intentionally is not. it would be embarassing to have spent years believing one thing for it proven wrong so it makes sense.
5b. like my blind test?
5c. well then why are you telling me that? still havent read the part about blind tests? is it that you are so used to replying to people who only have reports based on sighted listening?

2. There is no way for ANYONE to rationally explain it, other than the REPEATEDLY PROVEN claim of a flawed test!!

3. God knows, lots! And, not only lots of hearing studies but actual measurements AND many decades of scientific and engineering knowledge and predictions.
3a. So you don't believe in studies or apparently measurements or science in general. Do you reject all studies, take no medicine or medical treatments? Why are you using a computer to post messages, computers are based on science and engineering aren't they? And, why are you posting to this forum in particular, the forum which specifically exists for what you don't believe in?
3b. There's plenty or arguments, you've used some of them yourself. Of course, there are no rational arguments, just made-up nonsense arguments. Doesn't the fact that there are NO rational arguments tell you something?
3c. There's overwhelming reliable "evidence to support this" and NONE WHATSOEVER to counter it. So clearly, if you are sane/rational, then you CANNOT "know for a fact", you might believe wholeheartedly but this isn't the "What Acke Believes Wholeheartedly" forum, it's the Science forum!!! Again, you are entitled to your own opinions and beliefs but not your own facts!

4. Again, I realise the exact importance of cables, I've tested and measured them.

5. I couldn't hear a difference, ADDITIONALLY the measurable difference was way below audibility. Why are you going on about studies? There is NOT a single reliable study which demonstrates an audible difference and more importantly, there is NOT a single actual measurement which demonstrates there even could be something audible! If you can provide reliable evidence to support your unsupported claim then do so, science 101 remember!!
5a. So prove me wrong and as an added incentive, you'll win the $1million that's been on offer for about 20 years!!
5b. Exactly.
5c. If you can pass a controlled listening test, then why haven't you? Why haven't you changed the world of science and earned yourself an easy $1million in the process?

1. its very quiet I suppose? I have heard a lot of supposedly inaudible things in my fairly normal listening environment so it doesnt seem like a big deal here.
3. by ''your systems'' I meant ''non-believer'' systems, definitely not the studios you mentioned ...
[4] finally I have nothing to cite and nothing to prove even if it seems that way, ]4a] I know the only people who will take me seriously have heard already the differences.

1. Oh dear, you don't seem to know what the word "inaudible" means. Hint: It doesn't mean "very quiet" but still audible!

3. Why do you think commercial studio systems are "non-believer systems", do all commercial studios have poor equipment and all engineers, producers poor hearing? The reason is, that commercial studio owners and those who work in them are sane and rational. They believe the overwhelming reliable evidence and don't believe any claim to the contrary which has absolutely no supporting reliable evidence whatsoever!!

4. Finally, yes, you do have something to cite or prove. You are making claims, contrary to the science, in the science forum. You are the one who brought up science 101 and now you're pretending it doesn't apply to you, only everyone else!
4a. I have heard the differences and I still don't take you seriously! That's because I verified the differences I heard and through measurement and more controlled testing learned it was my perception playing tricks on me. A process that most/all engineers go through early in their education. This is the science forum, if you want to be your belief to be taken seriously, a belief which is unsupported, irrational and contrary to ALL the known science, then you couldn't have come to a worse place!! Why don't you go to the cables forum, which effectively bans science and the actual facts, while encouraging exactly the sort of irrational beliefs you want taken seriously?

G

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #972 of 3,657
still no link to the ridiculous (and irrelevant) study, science school 101- cite your references. how does it even define audiophile? the definition of audiophile is: a person who is especially interested in high-fidelity sound reproduction.

No that is the definition of the "Hi-Fi Enthusiast". Audiophiles tend to add a whole layer of witchcraft, status symbol idolatry, and psychological mumbo jumbo to it. A Hi-Fi Enthusiast is a cut and dried thing. An audiophile comes in a million different candy colored flavors.

so Im confused, so cables don't matter if they are the same connections. So now we are back to everyone gets one cable, the same cable so there is no difference in cables?

If the cables are properly designed and manufactured, and you're using the right cable for the job, then any cable should work the same as far as human hearing is concerned. There's a wide range of cables that can do the job. You can get them at Amazon for a few bucks apiece. You'll be hard pressed to find any six foot interconnect that doesn't sound the same. Now if you plan to run your speaker wires under the Atlantic ocean like the trans-Atlantic cable, you might need something different. But for the purposes of listening to music in the home, there is no reason to spend much money at all on cables.

When you guys start doing partial sentence numbered replies, you're talking to yourselves and you might as well take it to PM. Nobody is going to make the effort to break down and cross reference your replies. I did that for a dozen posts a year or two ago, but since then, I've started ignoring blather that isn't presented clearly. No need for circular obfuscation... or obtuseness! Speak clearly or risk not being listened to.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #973 of 3,657
Sounds muffled, hard to make out what you are saying, but but I guess I’ll opt for door number two.

Sep 5, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #974 of 3,657
OK. I'll make it simpler for you... If you are buying an interconnect to connect a DAP to a DAC or a player to an amp it really doesn't matter which one you buy at Amazon. They all sound the same. How's that?

Sep 5, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #975 of 3,657
Wrong door, what’s behind #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back