How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,476 of 3,657
In this case though, their woo woo fusebox has two spaces for fuses. One is the fuse and the other is for a jumper. I'm wondering why you would need to have a jumper in addition to the fuse. Couldn't they just hard wire that in? Is there a reason you'd want to run the fuse without the jumper?

What I read here (another black magic audio company...) http://www.kempelektroniks.nl/Files...ic_fuse_cartridge_en_hifituning_fuse__eng.pdf is:

In the Netherlands, it is not obliged to have another fuse in the Neutral-wire, so we put a durable silver coated massive copper rod in the right cartridge slot.

Also, I think it's required that both 0 and phase can be disconnected, I mean, current will flow when you connect 0 to something with a higher or lower voltage... (I've learned about this stuff, but it never had my interest lol).

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #2,477 of 3,657
I'm not going to even ask if this stuff is UL listed. If your house catches fire and the fire inspector traces it back to your woo power conditioner plugadaptered from Dutch standards, good luck getting insurance to pay.

Apr 21, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #2,478 of 3,657
The Akiko stick is won’t do anything for your audio. But it might void your home insurance. A non standard fuse almost certainly will.

Amazingly, you’re paying for snake oil that may well leave you on the hook if it starts a fire in your home. Enjoy.

Some people will literally buy anything that marketing copy suggest will help without any evidence. Just use big words in a meaningless way and the money flows in.
If you have never tried it you don't know if it does't work on a cable. And assuming it would void home insurance is laughable because you honestly do not know how the Akiko stick works. You make a good example on how people make assumptions and give opinions on subjects they have no knowledge on. You are just giving false hyperbole with your response.

Apr 21, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #2,479 of 3,657
The established scientific assumption is that a cable cannot improve the audible sound quality, only worsen it. If an inexpensive cable does not impact the sound quality in any verifiably audible manner, either objectively through measurement or subjectively via a controlled blind test, there is nothing more to discuss.

Apr 21, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #2,480 of 3,657
And being UL listed....... UL listed really doesn't have any weight. It is a government agency as much as Planned Parenthood. UL is a private company that provides a service. How much gear in Everyone's rigs in this hobby is actually UL Listed? Besides Bussman fuses??

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #2,481 of 3,657
you honestly do not know how the Akiko stick works.

That is the perfect invitation for me to invite you to explain exactly how it works. Please be as scientific and accurate as you would like us to be. Can you post a schematic to start?

CRICKETS

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #2,482 of 3,657
You can get ’Hi Fi’ fuses, which improve sound because ‘bottleneck’ and you can get an Akiko stick which works by soaking up unwanted frequencies using special crystals.

However, for the super discerning listener, apparently you can get the ‘Akiko Audio Fuse Box Tuning Chip’. It’s a piece of foil that you stick on your fuse box. It works by ‘permanently applying harmonising energy’ in the area where you place the ‘chip’. It improves the signal transmission, allegedly.

In case you’re wondering, I haven’t just made this up, this is a real product and it costs €50. I was going to post a link, but it wouldn’t seem appropriate in the ‘Sound Science’ forum.

Anybody care to offer a scientific explanation as to how this product might work?

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #2,483 of 3,657
You can get ’Hi Fi’ fuses, which improve sound because ‘bottleneck’ and you can get an Akiko stick which works by soaking up unwanted frequencies using special crystals.

However, for the super discerning listener, apparently you can get the ‘Akiko Audio Fuse Box Tuning Chip’. It’s a piece of foil that you stick on your fuse box. It works by ‘permanently applying harmonising energy’ in the area where you place the ‘chip’. It improves the signal transmission, allegedly.

In case you’re wondering, I haven’t just made this up, this is a real product and it costs €50. I was going to post a link, but it wouldn’t seem appropriate in the ‘Sound Science’ forum.

Anybody care to offer a scientific explanation as to how this product might work?
The chips were mentioned in the previous page of this thread.

I don't think there is any science behind these products. It's a showcase of how far you can go with this.

Apr 22, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #2,484 of 3,657
The chips were mentioned in the previous page of this thread.
Ah, so they were. I would have thought such a ground breaking product would have been discussed a lot more than it has been. After all, a sticker than can create ‘harmonious energy’ and improve ‘signal flow’ sounds like something we’d all want in our homes.

Apr 22, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #2,485 of 3,657

Big Pooppa can probably explain this better than me, but I'll take a crack at it...

"The Akiko Audio Fuse Box Tuning Chip (tm) works to transfer monetary funds from Customer A to Salesman B in the most efficient manner by means of lie."

How did I do?

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #2,487 of 3,657
That is the perfect invitation for me to invite you to explain exactly how it works. Please be as scientific and accurate as you would like us to be. Can you post a schematic to start?

CRICKETS
Come to Seattle, Always ready for the next meet to be made. Open invitation to come to Seattle to hear some great gear with cables and see what happens.. Will be a great time.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #2,488 of 3,657
Big Pooppa can probably explain this better than me, but I'll take a crack at it...

"The Akiko Audio Fuse Box Tuning Chip (tm) works to transfer monetary funds from Customer A to Salesman B in the most efficient manner by means of lie."

How did I do?
🤣

Apr 23, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #2,489 of 3,657
Come to Seattle, Always ready for the next meet to be made. Open invitation to come to Seattle to hear some great gear with cables and see what happens.. Will be a great time.

I have to come to Seattle for you to explain how it works? C'mon. Admit it. You have no idea what is inside that dongle. And you've never done a blind, level matched, direct A/B switched listening test to prove it actually does make a difference. You're just talking out of your nether regions.

In the past, I pulled one of these "well regarded" magic dongles apart and posted photos on Head Fi of what was inside. You want to know what was in it? Two ordinary copper wires, wrapped in tin foil with some beach sand tossed in. No electronics at all. Just a straight wire passthrough. I bet the same people are behind your magic dongle as that one. It had the same pseudo-science sales copy and BS unsolicited customer reviews. It even had the same affiliated review site logos. I'm not going to travel to Seattle to prove this is snake oil to you. It's up to you to think critically, do your homework, and apply logical tests to products yourself. I'm not getting paid to prevent you from wasting money. That's your responsibility.

Magic Pebbles.

Apr 23, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #2,490 of 3,657
Wow. i Just found this thread... I started my audio journey and buying equipment 15 years ago. Almost 10 years ago, Tyll from Inner fidelity showed that decently made cables didn't make a difference. You buy them as replacement to fix broken cables or if you like their build, but generally they performed WORSE than the stock cables no matter how much they costed.

I go on hiatus from head-fi for about 7 years and the cable discussion is still going strong? In fact, it seems there are MORE believers in cable snake oil now and prices are just nuts! It's not just cables, but audio prices are shooting up. There's even IEMs costing $6k where the companies refuse to send out units for measurement or reviews. What is going on with this hobby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back