How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #1,786 of 3,657
Any cable that costs more than an Amazon basics cable. No, copper doesn't sound different than silver. The differences in conductivity don't add up to anything audible by human ears. Check out the pinned post at the top of this forum Testing Audiophile Myths for proof. I'm sure earlier posts in this thread have plenty of citations too if you would like to read a bit.

I think the thread title is the reason that this thread is like fly paper for people who have never been in Sound Science before. I wish it could be changed.
You can only hear difference between materials with resolving gear... If yiu are just using some hd650 with some little dot tube or equivalent gear... Well.. Yeah... No cable is gonna sound any different by comparison using low end gear. The system needs transparency and resolution to show you minute changes in the system... Like a cable component.
Cables conduct electricity, silver does the better job if it. Why wouldn't it matter... Just keep enjoying your *hifi* gear with your 200$ cans and tell yourself you are getting the best sound out there.what a joke

Oct 30, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #1,787 of 3,657
Now, many IEMs, for instance, have impedance below 16 Ohm, even below 10 Ohm (do not ask me why), and typical stock cables can be easily 1.5-2 Ohms.
Another story is when "graphene" cables are sold to poor audiophiles
If this is true, the cable is utter trash. Also, adding carbon to cables isn't good as well...

Oct 30, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #1,788 of 3,657
You can only hear difference between materials with resolving gear...

So you have done a level matched, blind, direct A/B switched listening test and have proved this? I don't think so.

My headphones listed for $1200 and my speaker system cost many times that. You can't judge fidelity by price. I test every piece of equipment in my system. I know what every piece contributes. The old "either it's your cheap equipment or you are deaf" isn't going to work in Sound Science I'm afraid. Good try though.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #1,789 of 3,657
You can only hear difference between materials with resolving gear
You mean transducers with at best and in some frequencies have a THD + components of 0.05%. You'll start hearing the transducer's distortion even before getting closer to the region where to the differences between cables are. Also, you would have to increase the volume to 120 dB SPL just to have those differences present around 0 dB SPL. I desire you luck with all of this, and I'm not even mentioning level masking and hearing damage....

Oct 30, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #1,790 of 3,657
This is a troll.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #1,791 of 3,657
If this is true, the cable is utter trash. Also, adding carbon to cables isn't good as well...
It is true for many IEM stock cables. Thin flexible wires.

That is how the fertile ground for "cables matter" is set up.

Oct 30, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #1,792 of 3,657
You can only hear difference between materials with resolving gear... If yiu are just using some hd650 with some little dot tube or equivalent gear... Well.. Yeah... No cable is gonna sound any different by comparison using low end gear. The system needs transparency and resolution to show you minute changes in the system... Like a cable component.
Cables conduct electricity, silver does the better job if it. Why wouldn't it matter... Just keep enjoying your *hifi* gear with your 200$ cans and tell yourself you are getting the best sound out there.what a joke

Something I dont understand....why stop with silver?. You can go gold or platinum, more expensive, and therefore better for audio cables...You must be a poor audiophile...

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #1,794 of 3,657
Silver is the best conductor for electricity
Now Hifi to most of us here is a hobby - it is not just a means to an end.
We like to have fun, so before you read the rest (if!) if you like to use silver wires encrusted with ptfe in a twisted fashion - by all means - have your fun.

The difference between silver and copper conductivity is so low, it is not worth mentioning.
At least in the confines of Hifi of any type.
Termination techniques i.e. is it crimped or soldered, and contact resistances between the jacks and sockets are far far higher than the difference between what metal is used as a conductor.
Example;
a one meter length of copper compared to silver has resistance variations of micro ohms.
A mildly corroded jack or socket it would be in tenths of ohms to an ohm in bad cases!
Yet neither makes that much of a difference as headphones rarely go below 10 ohms, so even one ohm won't make a difference. for line outputs of impedances in tens of kilo ohms, they it matters even less.
Try it if you are handy with DIY.
get a one ohm resistor, and connect it in series with one of your leads - then listen - I am sure even in the most revealing setups it wont make a tangible difference.

Now silver wires, came into prominence in the days of LP's and cartridges.
Those days we had moving coil cartridges of impedances of only a few ohm ( I still have a lovely entre one cartridge with a 3 ohm silver winding).
Now these cartridges only managed a few microvolts of output signal, so either they needed a head amp with sensitive loading requirements, or a step-up transformer.
Any how, to reduce to absolute lowest resistance, people started using silver or silver coated conductors for interconnects and windings.
BUT
outside of that very special scenario, copper is as good as silver.
Believe me those silver headphone cables, are just bling! look good, feel good - but electrically serve no purpose.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #1,796 of 3,657
And I got this, isn't it funny?
Your graph or mine - the difference is miniscule.
1604072236393.png

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #1,797 of 3,657
Oct 30, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #1,798 of 3,657
Silver is expensive and far more likely to oxidize, becoming a less efficient conductor. A 500-foot length of 24-gauge silver wire would only be about 1 ohm lower in resistance than copper.

https://www.inchcalculator.com/wire-gauge-size-and-resistance-calculator/

The idea that silver should make any apparent audible difference with interconnects or speaker cables is laughable.
I have a very resolving system and I can hear it clearly and everyone that comes over too

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #1,799 of 3,657
Yes, those are the ultimate reasons usually used in support of subjectivity and against evidence: my very resolving system and my golden ears. The fact that if you dont see the cables you cannot differentiate them (the basis for a blind test) means nothing to people without the minimum logic ability.

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #1,800 of 3,657
Yes, those are the ultimate reasons usually used in support of subjectivity and against evidence: my very resolving system and my golden ears. The fact that if you dont see the cables you cannot differentiate them (the basis for a blind test) means nothing to people without the minimum logic ability.
I've done blind test and again, instant difference between the cheap generic cables and silver cables. Instantly heard in 10 seconds in the track.
I've had friends that don't care about audio do a blind test and they cab tell a difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back