How do i add more bass to sennheiser hd598
Sep 30, 2011 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

audionoob516

New Head-Fier
I got these three days ago but im pretty dissapointed with the bass. Is there anyway i can add more thump to these headphones. ANd if i cant what headphones can i trade these for or get for around the same price.

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 21

Quote:
I got these three days ago but im pretty dissapointed with the bass. Is there anyway i can add more thump to these headphones. ANd if i cant what headphones can i trade these for or get for around the same price.

Heya,

Fischer Audio FA-011 (it's less expensive even, yet is woodback, open, great mids & treble, solid thumpy bass, more like what you should have gotten). If you can't get one of these, get the BeyerDynamic DT990 PRO.

Very best,

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 21
were you looking for mini-subwoofer bass? or just more of a presence? When i amped my 595 (essentially the same as 598 imo) they went bass crazy and i had to eq it down a ton.

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
were you looking for mini-subwoofer bass? or just more of a presence? When i amped my 595 (essentially the same as 598 imo) they went bass crazy and i had to eq it down a ton.

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

No offense but this gets my vote for the most off the wall, opposite, 100% false post I have read on head fi.  

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 21
It's not completely off the wall, depending on the amp.

I mean, just look at that impedance curve! An amp with 10 ohm output impedance is going to boost bass by a considerable amount, and it'll get worse fast with even higher output impedance.

By the way OP, I do not suggest you fix your bass problem with a high output impedance amp. Try something you can turn off if you don't like it, like an EQ, or an amp with a bass boost feature like the Digizoid ZO and some portable Fiio amps.

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 21
Its some ancient Sanyo amp i had laying around, the bass was so obnoxious on it lol (true story) That was probably an amp problem but I'm just saying, its possible to make the bass obnoxious imo. I think it was a Sanyo DCR 150. So you could say my statement wasn't so mainstream or valid considering modern equipment, apologies for any confusion

Edit: Upon further investigation it turns out only one input on the amp makes them have ridiclious bloated bass, It pains my ears to listen to it T_T

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 21
I expect receivers will have high output impedance more often. They aren't exactly designed for headphone use, at least they weren't in the past.

Unfortunately I can't find anything about the Sanyo receiver.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
HiFiMAN EF2A... Works rather nicely with my 598's.  I don't have any issue with bass. 

Have you heard it on a low output impedance amp? The output impedance of the EF2A isn't published as far as I can tell, but it might have something high with this much voltage drop at low impedances:
Output at 32 Ohm: 3 v, 320 mw
Output at 150 Ohm: 6.2 v, 256

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #15 of 21
You could use a graphic equalizer or try a M^3 amp with the variable bass boost control.

That or a different pair of headphones. I'd go for different headphones because it's easier to buy what you actually want than to mod something into something it isn't. You'd probably be happy with Denons or Ultrasones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back