How did you turn into an Audiophile?
Oct 14, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #16 of 76
Wanted a headphone untill I was able to save up for speakers. It never happened. After hearing the 595's that was it. IMO speakers couldn't give me what I wanted. Since then I was on a search to find better headphones, and find a pair that is the mosted detailed on the planet! 2 days after buying my 595s I bought the 650s.

Oct 14, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #17 of 76
i can't consider myself an audiophile until i've upgraded the majority of my setup. so far, i only have headphones. next will be a better source, then a decent amp

my journey:
-bought hd280's in high school. blew a driver and felt like it was a waste of ~100 since i only used them for less than a year.
-6 years later, i wanted some decent headphones since i wanted to purchase an mp3 player and stock buds just wouldn't cut it
-found head-fi
-went with rp-21
-wanted something brighter and more portable, so i bought sr80's
-blew my sr80 driver during modification
-purchased sr325i's that i am now burning in
smily_headphones1.gif

-soon i will purchase a better dap (my e260 sucks hardcore imo)
-will then purchase an amp/dac
-then i should be content until i graduate from college and want a good home setup

Oct 14, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #19 of 76
it all started after that night on the I-80 when I was abducted by aliens

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #22 of 76
I was at a (now known as Tweeter) store and I heard a pair of Sonus Faber speakers and was impressed. Then I listened to some electrostatic towers a few weeks later and I was like H-O-L-Y S-H-!-T
After that I started with my car audio obsession...

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #23 of 76
I solely blame Afrikane. After dismantling my speaker rig a few years ago due to space/cost constraints, I took the "big leap" of buying a Total BitHead and HD595. I brought in a spare BitHead which he contacted me about and we got a talkin'.....the rest, as they say, is history.

His generosity led to my sampling of some high end kit....the likes of the Stax SR-Omega and Omega II; various Grado's, Sennheisers, Audio Technicas, AKG's; amps ranging from PS Audio to Jadis.....I have been truly spoiled. Whilst my ears don't mind, my wallet is a little less forgiving
tongue.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #24 of 76
near the end of senior year in HS, realized that I couldn't be blasting big speakers in college, went to a local hi-fi shop expecting to spend $50-$100 on headphones, walked out with Denon AH-D2000's and no more money, have slowly been buying more stuff (and ended up with big speakers in college too, and yes I do blast them (....still love my headphones though))

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #25 of 76
I blame glitch39...office equipment-envy, upgradeitis, being made to feel like an idiot because my Sony MDR-V700's were not "audiophile", and having to outdo each other with progressively better toys has driven me totally insane...

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #26 of 76
Stuck in a hospital for six weeks with a dozen CDs. After the first week I decided to waste way too much money on a pair of headphones. It turned out to be a Grado.

Oct 14, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #28 of 76
It's all Agnostic's fault
evil_smiley.gif
. He started complaining about the iBuds, then gave me a pair of good Sennheiser earbuds for my birthday. Ever since it's been downhill for me
biggrin.gif
. Now we're having to move house, because I need more storage for my headphones and stuff.

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #30 of 76
I'm friends with Al Gore, who invented the internet.

Although I've always loved music, I think that finding Audiogon triggered the first onslaught of spending on high end gear, as well as a lot of reading that I'd fallen behind on. The interest was always there, but had gone dormant for a while before being sparked about 8 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back