How did you turn into an Audiophile?
Oct 14, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #31 of 76
been much into phones first, then i realize that using cellphone as DAP is good enough because SQ can compete with most standalone DAP, and storage has also became bigger (4-8-16-24gb)... i was wandering in the net looking for good set of headphones, reading users review then someone mention the curse spell "head-fi"..

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #33 of 76
I got sick of my Harman-Kardon Soundsticks speaker system, and I also bothered the neighbours and family until I had enough.
Went on a search for headphones in local stores and bought AKG K55.
Got sick of that too, very fast.

Then I searched again, stumbled over here, and after months of learning I said to myself what the heck, i'll go all the way by spending my first ever paycheck on a DT990
tongue.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #34 of 76
i wore hd580 to play counter-strike, and some music listening straight out of the jack on my computer. somehow, i found head-fi, bought a portable amp. hd580 sounded completely different. more reading on head-fi, and -.,-

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #35 of 76
started off with a sony mdrv3 headphone and a walkman and a pair of vintage harman kardon speakers and receiver+denon turntable... loooong time ago (you just dont apprecite that until its way later retrospectively when you realise just how much crap is there in the world). but for real recent audio appreciation, i have klipsch to thank for. a klipsch promedia gmx 2.1 brought back fond memories and currently a klipsch IFI serves it up just right at my desktop (a real shame they discontinued these things).. well, from there on came the headphones..... still, the ifis cant be beat for near field listening imho (at their pricepoint).

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #36 of 76
lol i was born a audiophile. i just dident know it. when i was 12 i bought my first "full size" headphones. a pair of jvc's from wallmart. and was blown away in compareson to what the cheap ear buds that came with players back in the late 90's and i have been hooked to big headphones ever since. my first delve into the world of audiophilia would be my curent set of a700's cant wait to get more money and buy my first pair of MS1 and then go for a 2050II system.

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #37 of 76
Broken iBuds... what a shame
wink.gif

Bought CX300's, and was actually over the moon that i was getting into this. I remember loving them so much,

I actually couldn't believe how i had missed so much detail etc...( and this was a cx300
biggrin.gif
)

Skullcandy's i had were soon sold to a friend. Used money from those to buy a cMoy for my christmas present: Grado SR80
biggrin.gif

I was a very happy bunny. :)

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #38 of 76
Sadly, as i bought a new ipod, I thought, "Man those bose are nice, Im going to look online and see which model is better!" So, as i was reading online reviews, someone posted something along the line of "BOSE SUCKS, MY GRADOS ARE WAY BETTER CHECK OUT HEAD-FI.ORG TO FIND A GOOD PAIR OF HEADPHONES THAT DONT BREAK THE BANK (i laugh at that now). And so that is how i discoved the wonderful world of high-end audio!

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw an american express commercial with K701s in it and somehow I ended up here with no money

Haha. Letting us spend your money, priceless.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #40 of 76
My father is somewhat of an audiophile and my journey started after we diy renovated our basement and built a theater. It has only gotten worse since then.

I found head-fi and decided I wanted a good hp setup for college. I decided to diy my amp and dac to save some money and have some fun. I now listen to the rig in my signature.

I became good friends with a salesman at our shop of choice when I we upgraded our theater speakers and now I make a point to visit the shop when I have time and am at home. My last visit was spurred by an invitation to hear the Martin Logan CLX speakers. (they were excellent, look for my impressions in the high end forum soon.)

Needless to say, I may have to spend even more time in the library to make my audio dreams a reality.

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #41 of 76
Probably when I was 8 or 9 and got my first boombox - which, of course, I called a ghettoblaster. It was pathetically small (some Citizen model), and at the time sounded best to me with the tone cranked all the way to "high." OK, so I'm dating myself.

A year or so later I also discovered that I could shift the bias of cassette tape playback by applying pressure to the cassette tape while it was playing in the tape deck of my mom's car. Anyone else here do that?

To be honest, as far back as I can remember, I was always attracted to and interested in music and sound. The more I reflect, the more I realize it was always there. Like nff said, I think it probably started the day I was born.

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #42 of 76
6 ish, got my dads 1970s marantz and loved it, i still have it and listen to it. My parents also listen to vinyl and got my grand mothers turntable. 10 years later i have about 3 stereos and speaker setups, most from yard sales. Then last month i was looking for headphones.....

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #43 of 76
I started to love Hi-Fi gear when I first saw a Mcintosh MC240 / LS3/5A combo from a magazine many year ago, and they are become my main system now. =)

Oct 15, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #44 of 76
Sitting as an 11 or 12 year old listening to underground rock (& occasionally early KMET) on my friends dads system w/reel to reel and all the latest and he would put on the headphones for the real juicy stuff and the rest of us would envy it wanting a turn...... Wonder what happened to that kid-lets see circa 1970 or so. Keven Wieler? i think? Well now i got a set up that kicks on that one for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back