How did you become an audiophile?
Jul 9, 2012 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

yoyojoe

100+ Head-Fier
I thought it would be interesting to see how people started along the audiophile path. 
I'll keep it short I was rummaging through my parents garage and found a pair of koss PortaPros and an old Denon receiver. I found Head-Fi when I was researching them and have been buying headphones since.

If this thread has already been started or I posted this in the wrong section let me know. 

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 79
My first headphone purchase was some metro.fi about 3-4 years ago. I wasn't really into audio/sound quality and I just wanted something to listen to. About 1-2 years back I bought a pair of ue200 to replace them. I then purchased a pair of Philips O'neil* stretch because I wanted to try a non-iem type headphone out and I found the ue200 sounded "clearer." I then googled for a good headphone and I stumbled upon head-fi.

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 79
I was looking for headphones for Christmas and stumbled upon head-fi, it's been love ever since! And pain for my wallet :frowning2:

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 79
I started out listening to high grade stereo's very young though headphones it started here.....

I started out listening to music on my Nokia N95 and headset laying down at night. I decided to buy something for $50, some retail Kicker brand IEM and they were worse than the N95 headset. I returned them saying to myself purchase something now worth a $150 - $200 and be done with it so you're not forever trying headphones. Not knowing anything about Head-fi or brand names I walked out of JB Hifi with a pair of beats Tours, biggest let down of my life.

I discovered Head-fi not long after through google and beats negativity info which I agreed with totally so I joined. I thought to myself if these people also hear beats the way I do, they must know what they're doing.

Now I'm addicted. I have a headphone problem. :xf_eek:

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 79
I Like to listen to music, however, i have been using cheap earphone for the past few years. It sound good but i still feel something is missing. One day my friend asked me to buy beats tour, from there i decided to invest in audio gear and get myself a triplefi and started my audio nirvana. My wallet has been crying since then....

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 79
I was born in a small Naval hospital in Florida on July 4th 1971. After coming out I looked at the nurse and asked, "Is that John Coltrane on the radio?" She said, "Yes, I believe so." Then I was distracted for a few seconds as the doctor slapped my *** (why do they do that anyway?), but soon turned back to her and commented, "I believe I hear a slight ground loop hum, and you'd probably get better reception with a quality after-market antenna".

Ever since then it's only gotten worse.

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 79
Quote:
I was born in a small Naval hospital in Florida on July 4th 1971. After coming out I looked at the nurse and asked, "Is that John Coltrane on the radio?" She said, "Yes, I believe so." Then I was distracted for a few seconds as the doctor slapped my *** (why do they do that anyway?), but soon turned back to her and commented, "I believe I hear a slight ground loop hum, and you'd probably get better reception with a quality after-market antenna".
Ever since then it's only gotten worse.

lol 
bigsmile_face.gif

Btw, I heard that the doctor slapped the babies' *** to make them cry to confirm they can breathe using their own lungs.

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 79
lol :bigsmile_face:

Btw, I heard that the doctor slapped the babies' *** to make them cry to confirm they can breathe using their own lungs.

There was no reason to slap me if I was already talking with the nurse. That was just rude.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 79
A friend let me use his TF10's a few years back and I was embarrassed at how bad my cheap earbuds were. That led me to invest $100 on a pair of M50s based on recommendations from head-fi.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #10 of 79
I started with my cousin recommending me some Pioneer IEMs. They sounded great to me at that time, since all I had were cheap throw away earbuds. After some time, they broke, and I wanted to buy something to replace them. I spent $50 on some Sony IEMs and thought they were great too, although pretty expensive. When those broke, I bought some Skullcandy. Disappointed, I returned them for Bose since I thought they were a good brand. Disappointed again. Then I found headfi trying to find my next pair. 1 year later.......HD800s......

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #11 of 79
Strangely, my mother. She's nearly 70 now but back in the day she always chose the best hifi gear. In fact she knew 'the blokes' at Bowers & Wilkins, we come from that same town.  They would let her audition their equipment at home.  It used to be that they sold other brands, not just B&W. So she came home with KEF concord speakers, Dual turntable, Grado cartridge, NAD amp, Sennheiser headphones....... and I basically spent my childhood FEELING music beating through my small frame.  A feeling that I've spent a lot of time (and expense) trying to recreate.  What I discovered is that it's vinyl music that has that feeling.  Moreover, you can actually see the speakers moving much more than with the CD equivalent.  There's a lot more musical information contained within vinyl than CD.  Even SACD....but SACD suffices too.

Even my dad copied my mum's choices.

The most annoying thing is that all of those brands are (to my knowledge) not as good as they used to be...and are made in the far east. So it took me a while to settle on brands that I do like, ARCAM is definitely one, Pro-Ject is another. Benz Micro too.

High street "hifi" makes me giggle.  Loud it may be, high fidelity it is not.  If your dog doesn't think Julie London is inside the speakers, then it doesn't sound real.

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #12 of 79
I was looking for a really nice set of cans...did google search...arrived here....wallet took huge pounding
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #14 of 79
Like many others, the Grado SR-60i are my gateway drug. 

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #15 of 79
I was really into smartphones last year, always researching the latest and greatest. Then I came across HTC and their Beats line of phones. I read all sorts of comments on how the Beats sounded awesome on the HTC phones. It intruiged me so I decided to look around the internet for other headphones and came across Head-fi..... and the rest, as they say, is history

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back