How capable is the Minibox E+ driving the AKG K701/K702?
Aug 29, 2010 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

flargosa

500+ Head-Fier
How capable is the Minibox E+ driving the AKG K701/K702?  The Minibox E+ has an 18 volt battery, plenty of juice I assume to drive the headphone.  If you guys have tried it, please let me know what your impressions are.  Also want to know if the K701/702 sounds somewhat underpowered with the Minibox E+.  

Aug 29, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 5
The MiniBox-E+ is one of my favorite amps and I have ranked it higher than most here due to its great micro detail, extension, soundstage (depth and width), and clarity. Today I met with vorlon1 and we listened to it with both an RS-1 and an ATH-AD900. Both were driven without any difficulty from an iPod using a line out dock. If interested shoot me or vorlon1 a PM and perhaps we can meet somewhere in the Miami area so you can listen to one and make your own decision. Cheers.

Pd: Or should you wish you could host a mini-meet and listen to a whole bunch of portable amps that either of us could bring along.

Aug 29, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the mini-meet offer, I actually already owned a Minibox E+.  I agree it is a great sounding amp, I actually prefer it over my previously owned amps(P-51, iQube, Move, Supermacro LE, Supermicro IV).  Have you listen to it driving higher impedence headphone?  What are your impressions?  

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 5
Minibox-E+ uses an 18v battery, but it doesn't actually run on 18v, it runs on +/-7.4v.  Opamps that require a minimum of more than that become unstable and give sine sweeps.

I've used mine with HD600 and DT880 Pro.
It was a great combination with HD600, but with DT880 Pro, something felt off as compared to how it sounds out of my Compass DAC - I think it was missing something, not sure.  Only needed a little less than half of max volume for normal listening, slightly more with the DT880.
K701?  I doubt it.
There seem to be soic pads under the stacked buffers for you to add BUF634AU for more current output,  but that will certainly drain battery life even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back