How can I know if headphones are fake/if I can trust a seller before buying?
May 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tracylynn MkII

Head-Fier
For example, I was searching around for good deals on ATH M50's and came across these:

http://www.dhl-ems.com/product_info.php?products_id=83&osCsid=poti8arf3u3tdceq67bq9j1m17&currency=USD

Now I haven't been in the headphone buying scene for very long, and prior to this have never had to worry about buying fakes, but I seem to be seeing signs that this is quite present in the headphone market (images under a set of sony cans on amazon even showed how to spot a fake!).

So my question is: How do you choose who to buy from and who is trustworthy, whilst not shutting out the option of getting good deals, too.

The reason that link worries me slightly is that I saw the price in dollars and that they had given what looked like a currency "converter" on the side, so I thought I'd check quickly how many pounds it cost...exactly the same as in dollars...change to euro...no difference...

Well I think I'll be paying in dollars then :p. But seriously, any input is very welcome.

May 1, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 16
Trying to send them a message through the contact us feature also resulted in this message:

Warningfile(includes/tld.txt) [function.file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home2/bestbatt/public_html/_dhl-ems.com/includes/functions/validations.php on line 85

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in /home2/bestbatt/public_html/_dhl-ems.com/includes/functions/validations.php on line 86

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/bestbatt/public_html/_dhl-ems.com/includes/functions/validations.php:85) in/home2/bestbatt/public_html/_dhl-ems.com/includes/functions/general.php on line 34

May 1, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 16
Here is the "whois" domain information for Hanlinshop.com:

Code:
 Visit AboutUs.org for more information about hanlinshop.com <a href="http://www.aboutus.org/hanlinshop.com">AboutUs: hanlinshop.com</a> Domain Name: hanlinshop.com Registrar: Spot Domain LLC Expiration Date: 2012-01-05 10:13:41 Creation Date: 2010-01-05 03:13:41 Name Servers: NS1.HOSTMONSTER.COM NS2.HOSTMONSTER.COM REGISTRANT CONTACT INFO bluehosting Yuan Chan Rm.2606,26/F.,APEC Plaza,49 Hoi Yuen Road Kwun Tong Kowloon 000012 HK Phone: +852.26988586 Fax: +.2698858 Email Address: sales@7store.net ADMINISTRATIVE CONTACT INFO bluehosting Yuan Chan Rm.2606,26/F.,APEC Plaza,49 Hoi Yuen Road Kwun Tong Kowloon 000012 HK Phone: +852.26988586 Fax: +.2698858 Email Address: sales@7store.net TECHNICAL CONTACT INFO bluehosting Yuan Chan Rm.2606,26/F.,APEC Plaza,49 Hoi Yuen Road Kwun Tong Kowloon 000012 HK Phone: +852.26988586 Fax: +.2698858 Email Address: sales@7store.net BILLING CONTACT INFO bluehosting Yuan Chan Rm.2606 Kwun Tong Kowloon 000012 HK Phone: +852.26988586 Fax: +.26988586 Email Address: sales@7store.net Timestamp: 1304279964.3372 The Data in the Spot Domain LLC WHOIS database is provided by Spot Domain LLC for information purposes, and to assist persons in obtaining information about or related to a domain name registration record. Spot Domain LLC does not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a WHOIS query, you agree that you will use this Data only for lawful purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this Data to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations via e-mail (spam); or (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that apply to Spot Domain LLC (or its systems). Spot Domain LLC reserves the right to modify these terms at any time. By submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy. Cached on: 2011-05-01T13:59:24-06:00
   The previous information has been obtained either directly from the registrant or a registrar of the domain name other than Network Solutions. Network Solutions, therefore, does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness.

May 1, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 16
A good rule of thumb is, if it is from HK and the price is too good to be true, it's fake.

May 1, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 16
 %95 of what comes out of China is shifty.

I purposely bought a pair of Fake Sony headphones just to see how bad they were.

But to my utter dismay they actually sounded good.....and still do 2 years later.

I wanted to open a Paypal claim against him but for $36 SHIPPED I was happy.

I know for instance with the Sennheiser CX300 the fakes are terrible.

May 1, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 16
just a few minutes of snooping if anyone was wondering:

Quote:
Hanlinshop is a Factory-Direct e-Commerce platform based in Shenzhen. We have served more than half a million consumers all over the world since 2005. More than 15,000 visitors browse our products online each day.

4 visits per day
headfi is probably spiking traffic to their network of websites as we speak

Code:
 Creation Date: 2010-01-05 03:13:41

it's also included in sennheiser's list of nonauthorized dealers (aka counterfeiters and shifty "wholesalers")

May 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 16

Well they seem friendly enough for scammers :)

[size=x-small]Dear Friends:
Thank you for your letter!
We have informed technical staff to fix the error.
Website currency conversion has been normal, now.
Sincere thanks once again!

Best Regards!
[/size]

[size=x-small]2011-05-02[/size]

[size=x-small]pay@7cheapest.com[/size]

[size=x-small]发件人: EDITED OUT[/size]
[size=x-small]发送时间: 2011-05-02  02:48:36[/size]
[size=x-small]收件人: Fang Yuan[/size]
[size=x-small]抄送:[/size]
[size=x-small]主题: Enquiry from Free Shipping[/size]

[size=x-small]I tried changing the currency on this page:[/size]

[size=x-small]http://www.dhl-ems.com/product_info.php?products_id=83&osCsid=poti8arf3u3tdceq67bq9j1m17&currency=USD[/size]

[size=x-small]And yet the values remained the same even though the currencies values are not equal, or even close...[/size]

[size=x-small]What's going on here?[/size]

May 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 16
And should the fact that it does come with the carrying case reassure me at all, or not?

May 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 16

[size=x-small]High Copy![/size]

[size=x-small]2011-05-03[/size]

[size=x-small]pay@7cheapest.com[/size]

There we go, well at least they're honest!

May 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 16
Do you really think that saving $30 or so on this pair of headphones is worth wasting any more time by checking this company out?  Head to your local Guitar Center and have them price match one of the lowest price (Legitimate) internet vendors.  You'll be assured of a good pair of 'phones and you won't be getting ripped off.

May 2, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 16

if he wants to ignore the plethora of strong, albeit circumstantial evidence, we have offered him then let him be. people learn lessons the easy way and hard way.

Quote:
Do you really think that saving $30 or so on this pair of headphones is worth wasting any more time by checking this company out?  Head to your local Guitar Center and have them price match one of the lowest price (Legitimate) internet vendors.  You'll be assured of a good pair of 'phones and you won't be getting ripped off.

May 2, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #13 of 16
No Bro.. You gotta look at the big picture....Right now, there is no trusted retailer that has been selling the M50's for less than $120 the few weeks. Do you really think this cheap website is legit if the price is $40 lower than the recent cheapest M50's? Not at all.... don't fall for it.

May 3, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
No Bro.. You gotta look at the big picture....Right now, there is no trusted retailer that has been selling the M50's for less than $120 the few weeks. Do you really think this cheap website is legit if the price is $40 lower than the recent cheapest M50's? Not at all.... don't fall for it.

Just viewing that Web site kicked off my crap detector - which is why I pulled the "whois" site information.  As with anything in life, don't jump for the lowest cost.  Do some research and work with a trusted vendor who has been clearly labeled as a positive source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back