How bright is an ultrasone pro 900?
Mar 5, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #121 of 207
I thought only Americans used inches
tongue.gif
. The cotton wool is 5.7cm (2.25 inches) diameter, 2mm thick. The felt pad is 2.5cm (1 inch) diameter, 3mm thick.

Mar 6, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #122 of 207
They also use it in the pron industry.

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #124 of 207
For some of us...

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #126 of 207
Just covered the three holes with self adhesive felt. For my taste it considerably improved the bass. Bought it down to a level I am comfortable with. Trying decide if the mids or highs are degraded. So far I don't think so. Haven't played with covering or uncovering certain holes.

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #127 of 207
all three open holes? so now all 5 are covered?

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #128 of 207
Have you noticed a more forward presentation doing so?

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #129 of 207
I got a variety pack with 46 assorted cheapo felt pads, so I covered all the holes and it sounds more headphone-ish, much of the noise goes into the ear canal thereby giving highs and mids a recessed sound, but there's no more shrillness hehe. It does sound more forward, I'd say this is as close to normal headphones I've heard the Pro 900's get
tongue.gif
. But that's not a good thing, what I like about Ultrasones is they make sound hit the tip of your ears.

Burn-in or my ears adapting is making stock pro 900's much more bearable, I'll stop commenting on them for about 15 days so I can fully burn them in then I'll try the Kees mod again and compare. tata
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #130 of 207
Same here I noticed it just covering one hole. However I did find the 900 being almost to laid back for singers in default configuration so it´s not all bad. I will try to remove it see what happens when I burned in my cable properly.

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #131 of 207
After listening with all three holes covered for a day I started experimenting. Pulled the felt off the middle hole. Much improved over the three holes covered. With three holes covered I would label the sound "dark". With the felt removed from the middle hole the sound opens up while still controlling the bass. I like this sound very much. Its actually very nice to be able to "fine tune" the sound signature!

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #132 of 207
It´s. So now you are actually running the total reverse to KeeS mod
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #133 of 207
Got some more cotton wool now... Quite impossible to stop tinkering... Now trying a LOT of cotton wool. It´s about 5 mm uncompressed and 2 mm compressed. Probably the max or you may put a bit to much pressure on the driver shell. Definiatly no bass emphasis on them now. Interesting to see if the K701 may actually have more bass now... However the PRO 900 is still a bit warmer I feel. This is what I would say as close to neutral natural sound I have ever gotten.

May not get the sub woofer quality for games when called upon but well should be easilly fixed with equalizing. Bass is still there and there is no lack of body.

So frustrating with the sibilance issue on this headphone otherwise it´s sooo close to perfection.

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #134 of 207
Whoa ! Just finish this mod by Kees !
Im listening to it right now and this is awesome!
tongue_smile.gif

Its true that you dont feel as much vibration as before and can really feel the impact of the bass rather then the reverberence.It must be why everythings else seem more present, or more .. "forward". I must admit that i always had trouble detecting anything about "mids" though ,can't really says what i hear on that point.The only thing i would mention about this mod is to be careful when stiking the first "felt" on the centre hole, be sure not to stick it too close to the housing... i had to remove both and replace em as i could'n replace my earpads !
redface.gif
redface.gif
Maybe it was obvious for everyones but ... anyway im really enjoying all these headphones stuff , EQing , modding , comparing ... name it... !!
tongue.gif
Thanx Kees !!!

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #135 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakooon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa ! Just finish this mod by Kees !
Im listening to it right now and this is awesome!
tongue_smile.gif

Its true that you dont feel as much vibration as before and can really feel the impact of the bass rather then the reverberence.It must be why everythings else seem more present, or more .. "forward". I must admit that i always had trouble detecting anything about "mids" though ,can't really says what i hear on that point.The only thing i would mention about this mod is to be careful when stiking the first "felt" on the centre hole, be sure not to stick it too close to the housing... i had to remove both and replace em as i could'n replace my earpads !
redface.gif
redface.gif
Maybe it was obvious for everyones but ... anyway im really enjoying all these headphones stuff , EQing , modding , comparing ... name it... !!
tongue.gif
Thanx Kees !!!

You're welcome. I'm glad you like the phones and the modding.
Thanks for the pictures, they are a whole lot better than mine.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back