How are the Sennheiser HD 595?
Sep 18, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #31 of 60
If you like soundstage do not buy the senn's HD-25II, because they have none. They do have incredible SPL and ofcourse tight bass.
I bought the Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO instead, they have a huge soundstage and allot of bass but not as much SPL and are quite sibilant.
Why don't you get the senn's HD558, I have heard them and I liked them! They have good spl, so you can always cramp up the bass in the EQ.

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #32 of 60
Sennheiser HD595 BASS MODIFICATION

This is my first post on this forum. Don't shoot me. Got Sennheiser HD595 for free from my friend who didn't like them because he likes more bass, and his favorite phones amp doesn't have tone adjustments (some shiny valve and chrome purist thing). Anyway, I decided to play around with them and after 2-3 days of experimenting found in my and few others opinions quite a good improvement. Bass is lots deeper and tighter, mids are clearer and much more "life like" and highs are the same as before. This is what I did: Take them apart (I'm sure there are lots of instructions on how to do this out there), until you take the drivers out. Make a jig out of paper that covers nicely 8 horizontal rows of holes starting from the bottom of the plastic grill (the grill right behind the driver). Now use that paper jig and cut the same shape out of some sort of tape (plumbing one works great), and stick it down to close those 8 rows of holes. Put everything back as it was and just be ready to be surprised. Friend who gave HD595 to me tried them out and now he regrets giving them up. Too bad.

Cheers!!!

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #33 of 60

Quote:
Sennheiser HD595 BASS MODIFICATION

This is my first post on this forum. Don't shoot me. Got Sennheiser HD595 for free from my friend who didn't like them because he likes more bass, and his favorite phones amp doesn't have tone adjustments (some shiny valve and chrome purist thing). Anyway, I decided to play around with them and after 2-3 day of experimenting fond in my and few others opinions quite good improvement. Bass is lots deeper and tighter, mids are clearer and much more "life like" and highs are the same as before. This is what I did: Take them apart (I'm sure there are lots of instructions on how to do this out there), until you take the drivers out. Make a jig out of paper that covers nicely 8 horizontal rows of holes on the bottom of the plastic grill (the one right behind the driver). Now use that paper jig and cut the same shape out of some sort of tape (plumbing one works great), and stick it down to close those 8 rows of holes. Put everything back as it was and just be ready to be surprised. Friend who gave HD595 to me tried them and he now regrets giving them up. Too bad.

Cheers!!!

That's interesting - any pictures?

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #34 of 60
Well, the truth is I took HD595 apart maybe 10-12 times in 3 days while I was experimenting and I initially did take some photos, but then I ended up with so many photos that last few attempts I gave up taking them. To take photos for my final solution, I would have to take phones apart one more time. Maybe if I have time I'll do it next weekend. I'm sure if you read the instructions from my first post carefully, every detail is there...just remember to use "very sticky" sort of tape (you wouldn't want the tape to come unstuck any time soon!!!).

Cheers!!

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #35 of 60

Quote:
Well, the truth is I took HD595 apart maybe 10-12 times in 3 days while I was experimenting and I initially did take some photos, but then I ended up with so many photos that last few attempts I gave up taking them. To take photos for my final solution, I would have to take phones apart one more time. Maybe if I have time I'll do it next weekend. I'm sure if you read the instructions from my first post carefully, every detail is there...just remember to use "very sticky" sort of tape (you wouldn't want the tape to come unstuck any time soon!!!).

Cheers!!

Hmm, I may have to give this a try just for kicks.  I do know that these can move a ridiculous amount of air when paired with the right amp (a vintage yamaha for me).  I've honestly never heard anything with the amount of bass impact these can dish out...at least, not for an extended period of time, I don't exactly have access to something like the D7000 to compare!

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #36 of 60
GUYS!!! I just came back from my local HI-FI shop where they still have demo pair of HD595, so myself and 4 other shop people have tested my modified HD595 (explained how to do in my first post) against unmodified ones. Not only that all of us thought that mine sounded far superior but we compared them with HD558, HD598 and HD650. Biggest surprise was that 3 out of 5 people when comparing them in the blind test to HD650 thought they were on a par and 2 had only very slight preference to HD650. Other models were not even in the race. That brings me to think...maybe other models could be improved by doing something similar. Some experimentation is needed. Go figure what difference 2 small pieces of plumbing tape can do. Best of all, I got these for free :)

If you want to try the mod, I suggest go ahead and do it...you'll never regret it. Maybe next week I will post some photos.

Cheers!!

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #37 of 60
ok i have a question. i bought my hd 595's in july for 150 on amazon. i checked there today and they are now 200-300 on amazon and this made me curious to if i got real hd 595's or not, i have looked at pictures and the boxes and am 90% sure they are real. do you guys have any suggestions to how i can find out if they are real or not? sorry i know this is kind of a dumb question but i need help lol

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #38 of 60
If you bought them from Amazon, or an authorized reseller, they sure better be real.

Also, here's a cool site that tracks the price of items on Amazon, and as you can see, they price has been all over.  Supply and demand I suppose.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD595-Performance-Premiere-Headphones/product/B0001FTVE0

Oct 25, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #41 of 60
Op, your tastes are alot like mine. Im listening to the 595s as i type, and i really do love them for a few reasons. They are bar none the most comfortable headphones ive ever worn, i havent worn that many, but i cant imagine them being much more comfortable. I wear them for hours and feel no discomfort, but again with your preferences, they really arent suited to your needs. They do lack bass, while it is there, its not explosive or booming. For your preferences you may want to consider otherwise, for classical music and some slower music they are awesome though. These unfortunately are my main comparison, im pretty new to the audio area, but i do know a few things. 

Also wow, what am i new to forums? Didnt see up to page 3. Senn Freak, i would love to see this. Because i am on a budget and would love to find a way to easily improve my 595s, so if you could do so id much appreciate it. 

So all you essentially do is provide less air movement by closing the vents up a bit with tape? 

Oct 25, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #42 of 60

Quote:
of my pair?

Nope, was talking to Senn Freak, I forgot to quote.

Regarding your question though, I don't think there are any 595 fakes out there.  The price was around $150 when I bought it too...I think it's slowly going up now that they've been discontinued for some reason.  The price has been pretty high lately.

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #43 of 60
This is my first time here. Sorry if my english suck. I am from Italy. After I bought Sennheiser HD595 (second hand eBay) I was not very happy. I very much like bass. I think this headphone has good clarity and nice open sound field but no much bass. That got me reading other places and here. I found here Senn Freak bass modification. I decided to try. It was very easy to do, and now....how do you say...oh my god!!! Not just bass but everything else (mids and high frequency) sounds so much more natural. Lots and lots more nice deep and tight bass. I love 595 now. Not dissapointed anymore. I am not sure if any headphone can sound better for this money after modification.

Senn Freak...............thank you, thank you, thank you...you made me happy!!!

Ciao!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #44 of 60
Senn Freak id really love to see pictures of your modification. Ive never thought of doing something like that and it would be interesting to try. If you could post em up thatd be awesome. 

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #45 of 60
Sorry guys I didn't come back in here for few days. I went overseas for business. I design setups for cinemas and specialize in sub-woofer and horn loaded PA speakers designs. One of my kids went camping and took HD595 with him to use with iPod..so, I can't take them apart and make photos for you. The best and easiest thing for you guys who want to have a go is go on YouTube and have a look on how to take apart HD555, which are almost identical. Difference is behind the driver (after you take 3 screws out). HD595 has plastic mesh directly visible when you take the driver out. All you have to do is to close with the tape 8 horizontal rows of holes on that plastic mesh starting from the bottom (bottom of headphones from where cable comes in - and same on the other side, which doesn't have the cable coming in). After you block off those holes, just put everything back as it was...and that is all there is to it. 15 minute job.

My theory about why it works...outside of your HD595 headphone is completely open towards outside (away from the head), you can easily lose too much of the standing wave with nothing creating a break for bass reflection in opposite direction. That in theory can result in significant loss of bass. Maybe it is easier to understand this phenomena if you think about how bass-reflex loudspeaker boxes work. The right amount of reflection enhances bass, which would otherwise disappear. The only thing that is unknown to any audio engineer is to work out how much wave needs to be directed and how much needs to be reflected in order to get good results.

Let me know what you think after you try.

Cheers!!!

PS...ohh, I just noticed someone did try this... Alwin JJ  - you are welcome buddy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back