How are the Sennheiser HD 595?
Feb 22, 2011 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Bradrj1029

100+ Head-Fier
I sold my grado SR80s a few months ago and haven't had any cans since then, have been using my turtle beaches lol .. So I have been looking at the HD 595's from amazon.com for $150, how is this deal? I usually listen to prog metal, rock, rap, dubstep D'N'B,, how is the bass on these cans? I need something with good bass, $150 is my limit, need something with good bass, how would prog metal and rock sound on these? Thanks

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 60
if you decide to go with the hd595's, buy the hd555's instead and remove the foam padding from the back (makes them nearly identical sounding to the hd595 at half the price).

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 60

Quote:
if you decide to go with the hd595's, buy the hd555's instead and remove the foam padding from the back (makes them nearly identical sounding to the hd595 at half the price).

Your price analysis may not be valid anymore.  I bought a pair of HD595's from Amazon on January 30 for $129 (US).  The price has gone up to $149.99 since then, but I'd bet it will go down again.  Amazon is selling the HD555's for $84.99 at the moment.

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #11 of 60

I got HD595s from a friend for a while, I myself have the HD 25-1 II. I am using Asus Essence STX with better op amps.
 I can only compare these two. These two cans are so different sounding you have to listen to believe it, cause it's both sennheisers, but are worlds apart, woooorlds apart. The stereo quality overall is much better on HD 25-1 with the sound textures that you can feel and touch rather, than hear and they are so close to you, it's really intimate, all in the head. The highs are better quality on HD25-1, the sound much more alive and bass, well after HD 25-1 the 595 like have no bass almost at all. The mids are great on both, still better on hd 25-1. What I don't like about 595 is the distant and a bit fatiguing on some sounds( for ex flute going up and down, chorus etc, I'm not sure how do you call it, hd 25-1 has no fatigue at all I guess it has a better extension), for me it is like I can't hear it well enough, it is thin as if unamped properly, but maybe it is just a mistake to compare hd 25-1s to hd 595s. The comfort in the 595 is perfect, you put them on the head and feel no discomfort at all, HD 25-1s are perfect as well, but they are pressing on the head and after too long use ears can hurt a tiny bit cause the pads are pressing on them all the time. I would pick HD 25-1s any day, any minute and second, they are just that much better, alive sounding with great punchy bass and phenomenal separation.           

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 60
I have t say that HD 595 sounds really sweet after you get used to it, you simply have to adjust to its presentation of sound. It is clear and articulated with nice mids. Bass in my opinion is the weakest point, bass is still good, just not hitting hard. But I would never compare them again to Hd 25-1 II, they are too different. My pick is HD 25-1 II because they make you say WOW this is so real sounding! and because they can make your blood boil. I would call HD 595 classic Hi-Fi headphones, for relaxing and flying into space. There is almost none difference between HD 595 and HD 600 on my memory, they have the same sound overall in my opinion, but I think bass is a bit better on HD 600. 

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #13 of 60
i just bought these and i am kinda new to headphones. i had the i beats and they were ****ty. i like the hd 595 but i feel like they are not enough. should i burn them in longer or get an amp?

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #14 of 60
What part about them is not enough?

Mine took a slightly different sound character after a while, but nothing too different than what I heard fresh from the box.  I enjoy mine.  I use them about twice as much as my HD800, simply plugging them into my iMac for music or movies or TV shows and such.  I also plug them into my DNA Sonett amplifier, and yes they improve a good bit compared to the iMac.  Of course the HD800 is a lot better in pretty much all regards, but the 595 is good.

To me, they are what they are, and in my case, a headphone I got a decent deal on and paid about $135 for.  In reference to my HD800s, they have some shortcomings, but for a casual listening headphone, I find them to do okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back