How are other Koss headphones?
May 23, 2010 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
So far I only have positive experience with koss because I only own the portapros(I am aware that ksc75 has the same drivers).  Anybody try out other phones by Koss that are inexpensive like the portapros?  How is the sound?  Does Koss make decent earphones?

May 23, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
So far I only have positive experience with koss because I only own the portapros(I am aware that ksc75 has the same drivers).

That's not quite true. KSC75 drivers are titanium-coated while portapro drivers aren't. PortaPro drivers also appear in the SportaPros and KSC35s while KSC75 drivers (or a slightly modified version thereof) are used in the UR40 and KTXPro1. 

I've also tried the Koss Plugs and KE29s also. Plugs are garbage. KE29s are quite decent and you can get 'em real cheap (<$15).

May 24, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
 KSC75 drivers are titanium-coated while portapro drivers aren't. 

How much of an audible difference does that create?  Should there be much of a sound difference because of the coating?

May 24, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
How much of an audible difference does that create?  Should there be much of a sound difference because of the coating?

Yes, they sound different. Definitely noticeable. I've swapped PortaPro drivers with KSC75 drivers before. PortaPros on KSC75 clips still sound like KSC35s and not KSC75s.

By the way it's the same story with the Ultimate Ears MetroFi 170 and 220. 220 is Titanium-coated; 170 is not. Also audible. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back