How amazing are the Koss Portapros?
Nov 26, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #16 of 26
The PortaPro is definitely "amazing" but not against anything serious.  It's "amazing" at $30 and "amazing" for the size (It folds up like an eighties pair of shades and fits right into your pocket).  The PortaPro's design is pure minimalism.  The headband is bare wire.  The "shell" is just a flat metal disk.  The "cushions" remind me of a thumb from a knitted glove; they're so small they might as well be panty hose.

What's "amazing" about the PortaPro is the prospect of having any headphone at all - at $30 and in your pocket.  If I were to choose a knockaround headphone, something cheap and easy to pack, I'd go PortaPro all the way.  If, on the other hand, the major consideration were sound, I'd pass on the PortaPro.

The PortaPro's minimalism is the source of this headphone's greatest limitations.  The cord is skimpy.  The 30mm driver is barely adequate.  The minimalist cushions allow it to create the feel of dynamic bass, but the bass doesn't really drive that low and pressing one's ear that close to the driver kills any soundstage.  By far, the biggest limitation for the PortaPro is the total lack of an air chamber.  It's a driver hanging in the wind.  I've never attempted to place the PortaPro into a larger air chamber but when I've dime-modded its cushions (to remove some of that veil in the HF) and augmented its cushions with bowls, I've found an immediate improvement in soundstage.  Built for sound, the PortaPro could be made to produce more than you're getting out of the box.

But before you put your money into a PortaPro, you might want to consider the iGrado, which has the same drivers as the SR60.  Like the PortaPro, the drivers in the iGrado are victims of their enclosures, but unlike the PortaPro, the iGrado will give you a 40mm driver.  Priced at $49, the iGrado is the cheap headphone with the most potential for expansion.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #17 of 26
Also consider Koss KSC75. You can get them for $12 and I prefer them to the PortaPro (I have both).

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #18 of 26

By far, the biggest limitation for the PortaPro is the total lack of an air chamber.  It's a driver hanging in the wind.  I've never attempted to place the PortaPro into a larger air chamber but when I've dime-modded its cushions (to remove some of that veil in the HF) and augmented its cushions with bowls, I've found an immediate improvement in soundstage.  Built for sound, the PortaPro could be made to produce more than you're getting out of the box.

But before you put your money into a PortaPro, you might want to consider the iGrado, which has the same drivers as the SR60.  Like the PortaPro, the drivers in the iGrado are victims of their enclosures, but unlike the PortaPro, the iGrado will give you a 40mm driver.  Priced at $49, the iGrado is the cheap headphone with the most potential for expansion.

Interesting comments. Bilavideo have you checked into the Koss UR-55 yet? I think it's something you may be interested in just based on these comments and that you did the SR-60 mod that I also did thanks to your thread. To me, the UR-55 is like a Porta Pro inside an "air chamber" in a way and it reminds me somewhat of the Grado SR-60 design. I think Koss screwed up kind of, because they seem to have closed off all that air with a thick metal grill, the button and then some fabric behind it!

I removed this and it sound was nearly twice as good. Almost everything improved in some ways. Even the soundstage. I think the sound can almost compete with my modded SR-80. Close but not quite. I'd love to compare the sound of the igrado and the modded UR-55.

UR-55 is definitely one I think you could find ways to modify even further. I've been trying a few things but I haven't come up with anything else. I think people who love the Porta Pro and want a cheap alternative to a Grado SR-60 might like them. Especially those who complain about the comfort of a Grado or it's treble.

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #19 of 26
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the sennheiser PX100, the arch nemisis of the portapros (think captain america vs da red skull) sorry, poor attempt at headphone humor, anywho, the PX100 is comparable in sound quality, though the bass is a lot tighter than the px100, the cord is also more durable as well (I had issues w. the jack on my portapros giving in)

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #21 of 26

Quote:
PX100 is no longer in the $30 range, which makes the portapro supreme. 

ahhh right...px100II, but you can still find the originals for a pretty good price

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #22 of 26

Quote:
I have heard many great things about the portapros, and I want to get a pair of headphones for under $30. My local bestbuy had them for exactly that. All I really care is the quality of the sound, as I am going to use the drivers to make my own soundproof headphones out of earmuffs. So are the portapros really as great as everyone says? or is there a better set for under $30?

The PortaPros are great headphones IMO, not audiphile by any means but fun. I use mine mostly at the gym. I've never heard the KSC75's but they are as equally revrered, less expensive, and may suit your purpose better. The only question I have is wont the ear muffs effectively turn what is supposed to be an open headphone into a closed one. I know just putting my hands over the grills on my Gradoa dramatically effects how those sound and I would imagine that putting what is supposed to be an open headphone inside a set earmuffs might not work out as expected; but I'm not real sure. Just tossing that out as an observation and a potential problem.

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #23 of 26
Portapro's are okay, i bought a pair for my bro and he enjoys them. He usually listen to D&B and some hip-hop and the bass response is good! 

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #24 of 26
Your putting the driver in earmuffs? I wonder what that's going to do to the sound...after all these are open headphones and when I put them in closed cups it sounded a bit awkward...
Regarding the op's original intent, however, these would be perfect for driver jacking and modding! Sound was fun and gets more detailed in open, more resonant chamber especially with foam pads like grado comfies

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #25 of 26
Consider the KSC75 too. I was buying some stuff from Amazon and was several bucks short from free shipping. Ended up tossing in a KSC75 for $12.

Best $12 I've ever spent.

They look cheap as hell, but surprisingly durable (just don't pull on the cables). They've been abused in my pockets, backpacks, or thrown to a remote location. Still kicking and sounding amazing.

If you like headband-less, KSC75 is the way to go.

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #26 of 26
I have the Koss Ksc75 and the Grado sr60i....I love both...the koss for the sound they give at 12 $.it gives more treble than there actually is in the song...but i like they way it comes out.. i dnt love my sennheiser hd205 as much as these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back