Houston Head-Fi Meet 10/25/2008 Impressions
Oct 27, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #46 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just now getting time to sit and check in on this thread. Today was crazy hectic, but I wanted to post before calling it a day.

This was a fantastic meet! I actually listened to some other peoples gear for a change.

The venue was superb, as were the host and attending members. Can't say I've ever had more fun at a meet.

Great gear as you've no doubt seen already. I'll check my pics for redundancy tomorrow and post any that might be worthwhile.

The bonfire with all the members was the highlight of the meet. Standing shoulder to shoulder roasting marshmallows while singing Kum Ba Yah was great fun, even if the flames were coming from my β22.
tongue.gif

It was fun to get to hear the Colossus for her virgin spin too. Thanks for all the help there Marc!

Orcin I can't thank you enough for the vinyl! I'm already getting ideas for your stand kind sir.

More tomorrow, must sleep.

LOL.

Namaste, friend.

beerchug.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #47 of 108
I don't know who's album it was but I have to thank whomever had Beck's Seascape album. Listened to it at the meet and love it. Picked it up before going home and listened to it 3 times on the way back.

Good stuff. Although when track 4 hit the subwoofers in the car I didn't think the front windshield would stay in place.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #48 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know who's album it was but I have to thank whomever had Beck's Seascape album. Listened to it at the meet and love it. Picked it up before going home and listened to it 3 times on the way back.

Good stuff. Although when track 4 hit the subwoofers in the car I didn't think the front windshield would stay in place.
smily_headphones1.gif

Def one of the best demo releases I've heard.

I love it.

Really. I love every track on that CD. About three of said tracks were featured on my "RS1 DEMO" playlist.

Such a pristine and lovely acoustic bit from Beck.

BTW: the Official(tm) name of that particular Beck release is, "Sea Change" ... (and, not "Seascape" ... though the confusion is understandable).

If you are/were privy to his releases before ... then you will understand why he called it what he did.

But the point of all this?

I think Beck's "Sea Change" is one of the best demo albums (regarding head-fi stuff) that exists!

Kudos to you for recognizing such fine fare~~~!!!

Best.

.joel

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #50 of 108
Kydsid, I must confess that was my album! Seriously, I am glad you liked Sea Change! It is a really wonderful album. In fact, I also played it on the way home from the meet (but my drive was much shorter). By the way, it is also an HDCD if you have an HDCD player. (It is not labeled on the disk.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #51 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Orcin I can't thank you enough for the vinyl! I'm already getting ideas for your stand kind sir.

I wanted to tell you to be sure to listen to the "Butts Band" LP. It was a project by a couple of ex-Doors members, their first after Morrison died. It is pretty rare and has some really excellent tracks. Medusa is another gem. It's an early effort by some people that went on to have careers in other bands.

Also, both National Lampoon albums are absolute classics. I am not sure Radio Dinner was ever released on CD, and you've got to have Lemmings to go with the Woodstock LP set.

By the way, the pic of my desk is on page 20 of this thread. Anything that looks good with it would be fine. As I said at dinner, I have no intention of telling the artist how to do his work. I am sure it will be wonderful.

I really enjoyed meeting you, and I hope to see you again in Dallas in January. By the way, my wife said a weekend on the beach might be pretty neat!
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #52 of 108
Joel, I also enjoyed the Beck stuff, along with the care you took to explain why you chose certain tracks for listening - though I would say they sound just as good on phones not Grado... and, I simply cannot use the comp as a source.
tongue.gif

That said, as a long time sw developer / QA for financial apps (hence the CPA), I love your desktop... very unique, probably by far the best UI I have ever seen.

May even purchase the Beck disc... not my usual fare, but good nonetheless.

I feel bad that I didn't listen to ANY of Shelly's stuff... and I did want to hear the GS-1... and, Alex informs me the modded cd3k (elm wood cups with Victor DX-1000 drivers) sucks, so, good thing I didn't bring them even to shoot out with Stave's woodied cd3k.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #53 of 108
Steve's woodied CD3000's are still on my mind... and he said they work single-ended also... ehh, but they can't be as good that way, right?

No wait, all that balanced stuff didn't exist. Yeah, that's the ticket.

P.S. I am ordering that Blue Dragon v3 cable as we speak, Al. I am getting $50 off with that MS Live Search eBay promotion, so I couldn't resist.

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #54 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joel, I also enjoyed the Beck stuff, along with the care you took to explain why you chose certain tracks for listening - though I would say they sound just as good on phones not Grado... and, I simply cannot use the comp as a source.
tongue.gif

That said, as a long time sw developer / QA for financial apps (hence the CPA), I love your desktop... very unique, probably by far the best UI I have ever seen.

Thanks. I wrote that drop down menu app myself.
wink.gif

JK.

It's called "Rocketdock" and it's probably the best freeware app I've downloaded in the past ten years (excepting Driveimage XML, of course which def takes the freeware cake).

Anyway ...

Good to meet you to.

Good luck with your vulnerabilities research.

You've certainly got your work cut out for you.
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #55 of 108
That's ok... I won't hold it against you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel bad that I didn't listen to ANY of Shelly's stuff... and I did want to hear the GS-1... and, Alex informs me the modded cd3k (elm wood cups with Victor DX-1000 drivers) sucks, so, good thing I didn't bring them even to shoot out with Stave's woodied cd3k.

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #56 of 108
First, this was actually not the first Houston meet: we had one a few years ago--I believe it was 2005; the HD650 was pretty new. Tyll from HeadRoom stopped by on his "around the country" road trip as they had only just released the "Desktop" line of amps and such. I still maintain the best dynamic headphone setup I've ever heard were balanced 650s being fed by Headroom's completely maxed out setup fed by a Wadia.

Anyway, back to this meet...

Everyone was very cool and there was a *ton* of gear there. I haven’t seen that many vacuum tubes in one place since I was a little kid visiting the my dad at work when he worked in a computer room in the early 1970s. Yes, I’m old.

I felt a little like an interloper here, since I don't do much with headphones anymore. I got into Head-Fi when my younger son was born because he was such a light sleeper I didn't want to wake him while working after he went to bed. Well, he's a better sleeper now and we're in a new house which has my study much further from his bedroom, so headphones aren't really a huge concern anymore. I listen occasionally, pretty much only when I want to soak in all the detail, since it seems to me detail is the thing headphones achieve much more easily than speakers (especially per dollar). So I'm not quite as into the scene as I once was (this is reflected in my post count of late). Plus I showed up late, brought the least amount of gear (and the least expensive gear), and won a door prize anyway. So I made out like a bandit but I don’t think I contributed all that much.

That said, this was still fantastic.

If you're going to have a meet, you definitely want to invite Shelly, because she has pretty close to one of everything except Beyers. Senn, Grado, AT, AKG, Denon, Ultrasone... yes, all of those. This was the coolest part of the meet for me, getting the chance to check out all these different cans. So, some thoughts on cans I had never heard before from the perspective of someone who is actually not looking to blow out their wallet on headphones:

Ultrasone 780s: Yuck. I really didn't like these at all. They just sound... wrong, like something really artificial had been inserted into the signal path. Actually, what it sounds like is someone turned on some bad 1990s DSP mode that should better have been left off. I know some people really like these, and that's cool, but I really didn't. To each their own, I say.

Audio Technica AT-AD2000: I liked these a lot, really holds up terrifically well across a wide range of different music; bad at nothing. Yes, not quite as good at some things as others but still very nice all around: as usual for ATs, the mids are a little weaker than the rest of the package--though much better balanced than most of the other ATs I've heard. However, as impressed as I was with these, when I came home and looked them up, I was floored by the price. They’re good, but I don't think they are $750 good.

AKG K701: OK but didn't live up to what I had hoped for them. I'm not sure I could put my finger on what I didn't like about them--they're certainly good, but there was something that seemed to be missing. Also, I really didn't like the fit of these at all; even if they had sounded better to me, I don't think I could wear these for more than about a half an hour at a time anyway.

Denon AH-D2000: I had never heard Denons before so I had no idea what to expect here, and what a pleasant surprise this was! Clear bang-for-the-buck winner in my book from this event. $200 for these is an excellent deal. Again, a very well-balanced can with few weaknesses; I can see why these are popular and I'd love to hear their big brothers the D5000s.

Grado RS1: I am generally not a fan of Grados, they're just too harsh for me; in particular, I've never heard Grados that I thought didn't make violins sound screechy. (I know, I know, Grados aren't really supposed to be for classical anyway.) However, when mated to the Woo tube amp and Paradisea tube DAC, these were actually quite nice--the Woo took just enough of the edge off that I could really enjoy the speed and detail without constantly thinking that my ears were bleeding. Nice synergy there.

And, of course, the Cambridge 840 into the Blue Hawaii sounded absolutely fantastic no matter which electrostatic cans was plugged in; I think I had a very slight preference for the Stax over the Senns but it was close. I really wish it could have been possible to run the 840 through the KGSS so I could have gotten a sense of how much of that was the source, though. The Blue Hawaii obviously had more oomph than the KGSS but I thought the KGSS might have had a smidge more detail. I'm not sure, though, as they both sounded terrific so it was hard to tell. The KGSS also has a single volume control, which is a win. Seriously great stuff, those electrostats... Not like that’s news, of course.

Anyway, a big giant THANK YOU to Orcin for putting this together.

Oct 27, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #57 of 108
Seriously, Marc's uber KGSS does rival the BH in many ways, but is in NO way 'stock'. Just wait until he let's us have at HIS next gen BH, which I have pictures of...
angry_face.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #60 of 108
I just posted my review of the WA6 vs. WA6SE over in the amp forum. I wanted Jack to get his money's worth from those demo units, and I don't think anyone has yet had the opportunity to compare them side-by-side.

On another topic:

I had already put 50 hours or so on those Grover SC cables because I thought we might be listening to them at the meet. I didn't listen to them much myself, because I didn't want to get too attached to them.

I hooked my system back up with those Grovers in place of my Zu Oxyfuels, and I was pleasantly surprised. They improved the detail, and have a very balanced sound.

I researched these a little, and they are silver & copper ribbons with a carbon nickel shielding (hence the SC designation as opposed to his S version). A very interesting design, and I am really happy with them. Thanks for pulling my name out, s1rrah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back