Houston Head-Fi Meet 10/25/2008 Impressions
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #76 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another headphone I tried was S1rrah's friend's modded Denon 2000/5000? It was really very beautiful! However, I found it to be a little too dark and muffled sounding and preferred my stock Denon 2000 (luckily for my wallet). Perhaps it was the woodies that made it sound dark.

Hmmm, this post seems to be getting kind of negative. I better wait til I am feeling better before I post anymore.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree that the beauty of the modded phones was the highlight and once you put them on it went downhill. I preferred your stock Denon's also.

I was very surprised at the Denon AH-D2000's. Yes, they do have a darker sound than the HD600's, but not overly dark as some people portray them. They are not as cheap as I thought ($350 new on Amazon), and the used ones seem to get snapped up pretty quick. So they will have to wait a while, since I just bought a Blue Dragon V3 cable for the Senns yesterday.

Fortunately, Steve is sending me his modded Sony CD-3000's to try, so I can use those to keep the Denons on the back burner.

Meets sure do whet your appetite for new stuff, don't they?
tongue_smile.gif

I hope you feel better soon.

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #77 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was very surprised at the Denon AH-D2000's. Yes, they do have a darker sound than the HD600's, but not overly dark as some people portray them. They are not as cheap as I thought ($350 new on Amazon), and the used ones seem to get snapped up pretty quick. So they will have to wait a while, since I just bought a Blue Dragon V3 cable for the Senns yesterday.

Hi Ken,

You can usually get the Denon for $200 if you are patient. For example, on buy.com they are out of stock but you can still order them at this price. They will bill and ship them as soon as they are in stock.

Denon AH-D2000 High Performance Stereo Headphone - Stereo - AH-D2000 - Buy.com

You can get them for this price at some other places I believe as well (they may also be out of stock). Of course, I understand that you may not want to buy something else at the moment!
k701smile.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #78 of 108
Quote:

You can usually get the Denon for $200 if you are patient. For example, on buy.com they are out of stock but you can still order them at this price. They will bill and ship them as soon as they are in stock.

Oh crap... I didn't see this link, really I didn't.
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #79 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How loud the amp can drive a set of headphones has nothing to do with its power output once you step above the level of a SRM-Xh and the like. With more power you have the ability to handle the more difficult lower impedance of the treble and bass (and any other lows on the far from smooth impedance graph of all ES designs) so that the amp isn't holding the transducers back any more. The end result is a much deeper and more controlled bass response, great treble extension and a far more controlled soundstage.

I think Spritzer has stated it best - I did listen to the GES for several evenings with the HE60 through the 840c, and while very resolving just did not control the signal as well as the uber-KGSS nor Blue Hawaii - and would not have been expected to. It is also single ended, so slew rate / speed / yada is lesser than the fully balanced designs, so, again, a (limiting) factor. BUT, what this amp is is the gateway to the upper end electrostatics, without spending $3-6k (or $2k in parts) - with about 90% of the benefit - and, better than any Stax product I have heard / owned (SRM/T1, 323, 007t, 717).

Head to head, it really was no comparison - in the ballpark, but the differences were not subtle, at all, regardless of the 4 phones we had on hand. I would have really liked a Lambda Pro with this... a few years back. but, the GES with a Koss 950 will be impossible to beat on bang for buck (non DIY).

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #80 of 108
Quote:

Kydsid brought a Mapletree Audio amp (I forget which kind) which was something that I have wanted to try for a while. Unfortunately, his main rig is in storage and could not make it. More unfortunate was the fact that the DAC that his friend sent to him before the meet was dead so he had to use some backup DAC (I don't remember what it was). I tried his setup with his Grado 225s. I wasn't so enthusiastic about it. I still felt that the Grado 225s highs were a little too shrill for me with this combination. Perhaps it was DAC. I wish I could hear the Mapletree audio again, maybe with a different pair of cans. Interestingly, I found that the stock Grado 225s to have more piercing highs at the meet than usual. I wonder if this is because I was listening to the music much more loudly than normal?

smily_headphones1.gif

It was a mapletree ear hd+ and with all the headphones you brought you couldn't find one to try with it besides my grados
wink.gif
It was unfortunate about the DAC. I am planning on getting a havanna and a cambridge macdagic for a side by side comparison. I know one is way more money but I want to see what that extra 500 gets me.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't think I will keep either one of the dacs I brought.

BTW the backup was a KingRex DAC. It is the size of a portable amp so easy to travel with but obviously not an extreme performer. I too would have like to have hooked my amp to a paridisea or the like. Alas never is enough time to take it all in at a meet.

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #81 of 108
You can always put your email into the "Alert me when this item is in stock." Then you don't have to make the decision until later. If the price goes up, it is a sign from the headphone god that you didn't need them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh crap... I didn't see this link, really I didn't.
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #82 of 108
The SE nature of the GES only applies to the input stage since the second half of it acts as a phase splitter and the amp is balanced afterwards. This isn't perfect and will have some drawbacks but the key strength of the KGSS/BH isn't tied to them being balanced throughout.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #83 of 108
Well, yes, I did plan to do this.... just ran out of time unfortunately.
smily_headphones1.gif
I am pretty sure that I can list more setups that I didn't get to than ones I did listen to. Hopefully Uncle Sam won't send you anywhere soon so I can hear your Ear HD+ again with a nice DAC. I am interested in your opinion of the Havana vs Cambridge DACmagic. I am guessing that the DACmagic won't beat the giant killer that some hope for but it could be quite good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was a mapletree ear hd+ and with all the headphones you brought you couldn't find one to try with it besides my grados
wink.gif
It was unfortunate about the DAC. I am planning on getting a havanna and a cambridge macdagic for a side by side comparison. I know one is way more money but I want to see what that extra 500 gets me.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't think I will keep either one of the dacs I brought.

BTW the backup was a KingRex DAC. It is the size of a portable amp so easy to travel with but obviously not an extreme performer. I too would have like to have hooked my amp to a paridisea or the like. Alas never is enough time to take it all in at a meet.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #84 of 108
I would also be very interested in hearing the DacMagic. I'm sure it's no Lavry or Benchmark, but it might be very good, and the price is certainly right...

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #85 of 108
I really wanted to hear the Buffalo DAC as it is, allegedly, one of the better DACs available, DIY or no.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #86 of 108
During Sunday's meet, Joel noticed a "click" while listening to my Stax system. Turns out it is coming from my Singlepower MPX3. Seems to happen at random, but is very audible. It does not seem to come through the signal path of the phones, because while listening there is no "click" from the headphones themselves. With the slow turnaround at Singlepower, I am reluctant to send the unit to them. Does anyone know of a good repair operation in Houston that might be able to identify and resolve the problem?

Thanks for any suggestions

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #87 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really wanted to hear the Buffalo DAC as it is, allegedly, one of the better DACs available, DIY or no.

Go figure, it's getting a lock here at home again. Not sure what to make of that.

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #89 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go figure, it's getting a lock here at home again. Not sure what to make of that.

Karma Police! Depending on Marc's research progress, I'll probably plunk on a Buffalo anyway, though the Azur makes me question why...

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #90 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gratz to all of you for having such a wonderful meet.

Those of you over 50 must now put Team OAF in your signature.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I should send them an invite!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back