Houston Head-Fi Meet 10/25/2008 Impressions
Oct 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #91 of 108
Sorry, still a fresh and supple 47 here.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #92 of 108
I can't believe I just found this thread (better late then never)...

I unfortunately only got to catch the tail end of the meet/dinner & drinks.

I had a wonderful time and got to meet a lot of great people. Not only did I meet them, but I found out how close I live to Orcin and S1rrah (we'll get to test each others new toy's often). I got a chance to demo a lot of different headphones (thanks Shelly). I also got some time with Pabbi's Millet Max. It was my first experience with the SS realm and I was quite impressed with what I heard.

I unfortunately did not get a chance to listen to the Blue Hawaii. Shelly was in the zone and I could not bring myself to interrupt.

Thanks to all for the great company and atmosphere. I can't wait until next year when I can bring all my gear.

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #93 of 108
What's this "next year" everybody keeps talking about...
wink.gif

So Gollie, I see you have a MPX3 Slam on order? Is that a recent purchase?

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #94 of 108
I bought it two weeks ago...

As I wait, I have been hemorrhaging money getting ready for it to arrive. Tubes/PC's/IC's/Cans etc. I need to stop.

You will have to drop by to have a listen when I get it all set up.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #95 of 108
Open letter to Al:

Thanks a lot for the advice! After hearing the upgraded cable that you loaned me at the meet, I jumped on eBay Monday morning and ordered a Blue Dragon v3 for my HD600's. I paid a little extra for Express Mail, and last night I settled in to listen.

Wow, what a difference! I will never disrespect overpriced cables again, that's for sure. I now fully understand what the Sennheiser veil is - you know it when it leaves!

The soundstage moved from the top of my head to the front of my eyes, and spread to the left and right. It was really not a subtle difference. As you say, the stock 600 cable must really be bad because it was certainly a bottleneck in my system.

Also, the detail was improved although I really can't say how much of that is due to the Blue Dragon because I have so many other pieces of my system in various stages of burn-in.

So thanks again for steering me in the right direction, and also thanks to Shelly for reinforcing this idea while we were talking about your recabled HD650's.

The only problem is now I can't see buying that pair of Denon D2000's without having them recabled, so the price just went up.
L3000.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #96 of 108
Give that BD 100 hours, and you will really wonder why Senn makes such a poor cable. I am also really sorry for all the Houston attendees that the balanced Bijou was not ready - 10 tubes and no 'sand' (silicon) at all - talk about old school. We'll see how it really stacks up, but I fear no Singlepower nor RSA.

The Millett 307A is a different story...

Actually, the Millett Max is a hybrid, which uses tubes and SS components - albeit at low voltage... now, the SOHA II (which very few got a chance to listen to) is also hybrid (just 3x the voltage), and we missed an opportunity to shoot it out with the GS-1.

Meets never have enough time - well, and focus...
redface.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #97 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphone impressions:
Woodied phones... everything, including Darth Beyers, sounded worse to me when woodied. I am leaving swt61's modded SD3000's out of this blanket anti-woodied assertion, because there is a lot more to these phones than the wood on the sides. Plus I refuse to admit that these phones, or any other balanced phones, actually exist. They were not real, I did not hear them. Really, I didn't.

Well, I now have the Darth Sonys at my house for a visit (thanks Steve!), so it is getting tougher to deny their existence. Fortunately, I can't use them balanced so maybe that will keep me from wanting them.
biggrin.gif
They really do look impressive. My friend from work (shown below) perked up when I told him they were on loan to me. I'll have to invite him over for another audition. Maybe I can finally get him off those ipod buds for good. Of course, he'll need an amp, and a source, and yada yada yada.

Img0338.jpg

P.S. This pic never gets old.
darthsmile.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #99 of 108
Well, I finally got around to uploading the pictures on my camera to my computer. Hopefully I am not duplicating too many pictures!

First: The famous doorprize(s) drawing!
img1717aj2.jpg

Ken looks happy!
wink_face.gif

img1701ce1.jpg

img1713nx1.jpg

img1716er8.jpg

img1710ua1.jpg

img1706ce0.jpg

img1704xf7.jpg

img1703uw2.jpg

img1702gp8.jpg

Nov 7, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #100 of 108
Well, I am wondering what the damage was from the meet...

Orcin:
Woo 6 SE w/ Sophia Princess = $1200
various tubes = $200
Blue Dragon cable for HD600's = $200
Denon D2000's + recable = $550
let's just call it $2200 even with shipping.
eek.gif

Of course, the amp was planned before the meet, but the rest of it wasn't.

I am sure Gollie has beaten that total with his world-class spending spree.

Wareagle69 just bought a pair of Koss ES950's and I am pretty sure an amp won't be far behind.

s1rrah bought a MHDT Havana and keeps muttering about more headphones.

That's just what I know about... anyone else buy some new stuff as a result of the meet?

We'll need another meet next year to see all the new gear.
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #101 of 108
At the meet, I remembered how much I liked the Senn 580s open (without the woodies). So I bought HD600 grills = ~$20. I also remembered how bad the stock 650 cable is and so I bought a Blue Dragon v3 cable for my 650 and put the Blue Dragon v2 on my 580s = 75% of $200 (with microsoft live cashback) = $150. The 580s are definitely feeling better now.

Aslo, going to the meet made me realize that I had way too many headphones, I sold my HD 25-1 = -$125 after shipping/paypal fees. So my total is $45! I am doing much better than Ken.
regular_smile .gif

After I sell my Hornet and Ultrasone HFi-780, I will have some cash to spend on new tubes for the Singlepower Extreme! After hearing Alex's balanced Senn cable, I am also thinking about getting an APS v3 cable (SE) for my Senns and selling the Blue Dragon v2... so that will put me behind again.

Luckily (unluckily?) for me, the setup I walked away drooling over was the KGBH+840c+HE60. I might have to save up for a quite a while before I take that dive though. That will save my bank account in the mean time.
biggrin.gif

Wareagle69: I saw that you replied to a FS post for a KGBH. Are you the new owner of a Koss 950+KGBH?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I am wondering what the damage was from the meet...

Orcin:
Woo 6 SE w/ Sophia Princess = $1200
various tubes = $200
Blue Dragon cable for HD600's = $200
Denon D2000's + recable = $550
let's just call it $2200 even with shipping.
eek.gif

Of course, the amp was planned before the meet, but the rest of it wasn't.

I am sure Gollie has beaten that total with his world-class spending spree.

Wareagle69 just bought a pair of Koss ES950's and I am pretty sure an amp won't be far behind.

s1rrah bought a MHDT Havana and keeps muttering about more headphones.

That's just what I know about... anyone else buy some new stuff as a result of the meet?

We'll need another meet next year to see all the new gear.
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #102 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, going to the meet made me realize that I had way too many headphones

Aw, come on. You can't have too many headphones.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

After hearing Alex's balanced Senn cable, I am also thinking about getting an APS v3 cable (SE) for my Senns and selling the Blue Dragon v2...

Alex's cable definitely sounded good.

Quote:

Luckily (unluckily?) for me, the setup I walked away drooling over was the KGBH+840c+HE60.

No actually there was no Blue Hawaii at the meet. There were no electrostatic phones at all. In fact, those things don't even exist. You must be mistaken.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Wareagle69: I saw that you replied to a FS post for a KGBH. Are you the new owner of a Koss 950+KGBH?

I think he missed the amp. I predict more attempts.

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #103 of 108
Shellylh,
Yeah, Orcin is right. I was too slow on the Blue Hawaii, but I did land the Koss 950s. They are enroute now. I'll keep saving my pennies for hopefully another shot at a used BH one day.

Seems as though the meet was a good stimulus for everyone to support the economy and spend money for cool headphone stuff.
atsmile.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #105 of 108
[size=large]Lost Music Alert(tm)!![/size]

So I loaned my Phillips DVD/CD player to a friend this weekend ...

The same player that somebody (can't remember who) borrowed at the meet.

Anyway ...

Long story short ...

Upon setting the player up for my friend, we discovered a CD in the tray ...

Judging by the fine quality of this particular CD (a "PentaTone" release) ... I'm guessing my fellow head-fier that borrowed my Phillips player at the meet accidentally left it in the tray.

Anyway ...

Here's a pic of the CD:

cd.jpg

Beautifully recorded bit, I can tell you that much.

I've long since ripped it to .FLACS (well, today anyway) ... I'm a sucker for two things regarding classical ... Bach "Partitas" and Beethoven Piano Sonatas (the latter preferably played by Schiff)

(thanks to my anonymous donor!)

wink.gif

I can mail it to the rightful owner soon as somebody chimes in.

Best.

.joel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back