Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Apr 1, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #286 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirimaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried to buy on these sites,made the payments and next day phonedme to tell me that thay want to chargeme 130 bucks for just shipping
confused.gif
,can you believe that?.

Holy c*ap..
When this mod thread started it cost like 9$ for 3 opamps including s&h.
At the time i ordered them it cost me 20$.

One week later it was like 60$.. now 130$
blink.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #287 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not to rain on your parade, but I would really rather we keep this thread to the X-fi mods. Start a new thread in the DIY section with your questions.

and no, simply pulling caps off and then hot gluing new ones on will not do you any good. You need to desolder the old ones (even if you pull them off w/ pliers and do not break anything other then the cap you'll need to desolder the leads so you might as well attempt to get the cap off in one piece.) And then you'll need to clean off the contacts and solder the new cap in place.

Thanks for the info.

Apr 1, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #288 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirimaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried to buy on these sites,made the payments and next day phonedme to tell me that thay want to chargeme 130 bucks for just shipping
confused.gif
,can you believe that?.

I guess they made a mistake on the original pricing. Bummer.

Apr 4, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #293 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered 3 not long ago and didn't have to pay anything... but then again I used my college addy and college email so they went through as educational.

That's smart, I hadn't thought of trying that. Let's see if it works for me.

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #297 of 2,194
Ok so I did the opamps and the blackgate on my xfi elite pro.

First impressions (using seni 595's right into the xfi box) is that my bass went missing (im guessing I need to burn in these electronics or get an amp to drive my headphones), but mid's and highs are more define.

I am new to this whole audio scene but there is a difference from before the mod and after, a better sound.
580smile.gif

Here are some after pictures:

The Blackgate:

Picture463.jpg

Blackgate mounted: (had some trouble fitting the leads into the stock hole, trimmed the leads of the blackgate down with a dremel to fit).

Picture464.jpg

Picture467.jpg

Picture471.jpg

Picture472.jpg

First opamp: (I removed the stock ones with a pin-point heatgun(hot air to basically melt the pins right off the board), and soldered the new opamp into place by hand.)

Picture468.jpg

The three I did:

Picture470.jpg

Back connections soldered on the blackgate:

Picture473.jpg

ERS paper locked in place with the PCI card slot plate: (make sure none of the edges are touching any electronics, I folded edges into themselves).

Picture479.jpg

Second layer of ERS paper on the bottom:

Picture480.jpg

Please critique, praise, question or comment!!! Thanks for all the help in this thread from everyone and all the advise on this board!

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #298 of 2,194
Very nice, Nicker! I will post a link to your post onto my guide. Now about that missing bass... check to make sure that the Blackgate is soldered to both terminals and that all the connections are well-soldered, in case there is a loose connection somewhere. To me, there didn't seem a need for burn-in to get the bass. Burn-in did slightly change the sound, but bass was always there.

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #299 of 2,194
Thanks cotdt, everything was done pretty well, but I will check the continuity from the base of the blackgate to a differnt lead on the board, and it should work if the connection is okay on the board.

It would not make a difference that I did only 3/4 opamp's, since I only use the 1 opamp for my headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back