Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Apr 4, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #301 of 2,194
I ordered a sample of the lm4562 today, directly from national semiconductor's website.
I was charged 11$ usd for it to be shipped from a singapore warehouse to my house in the netherlands.. It's really not a bad deal.
For the maximum amount of 3 samples it was 20$ for shipping however, so i decided to just get one for now and maybe get an additional set of 3 later.
So its not hard to get 4 of them.. however if many people are interested maybe someone (not me) could just buy a 95-reel of them and resell them per 4..

-phl

Apr 5, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #302 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so I did the opamps and the blackgate on my xfi elite pro.

First impressions (using seni 595's right into the xfi box) is that my bass went missing (im guessing I need to burn in these electronics or get an amp to drive my headphones), but mid's and highs are more define.

I am new to this whole audio scene but there is a difference from before the mod and after, a better sound.
580smile.gif

Here are some after pictures:

Please critique, praise, question or comment!!! Thanks for all the help in this thread from everyone and all the advise on this board!

delete pic to save space.

Job well done, here is my two cent

I recommand you to bend the black gate toward the opposite direction. Even though I know if might not be a big problem for most of the people, but there was few cases report the core of the sound card over heats. That's why the heat sink was added later.
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #303 of 2,194
You guys who have done the Blackgate Mod what do you find has improved after installing the cap? Also is there any truth to the "Burn-In" factor Black gates are supposed to exhibit?

Apr 5, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #304 of 2,194
well I've contacted Percy Audio about getting some ERS paper and some Blackgates but haven't really heard back yet... so instead of just sitting around I decided to swap the op-amp just now and all I've got to say is WOW! I only swapped the op-amp. I didn't short the caps (not sure if I'm going to do that just because there has been some uncertainty around this aspect)

I can't wait for the Blackgates and ERS paper now!!!
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #305 of 2,194
For those who are about to do this mod and aren't too sure about their soldering skills.. i highly recommend checking out these pages:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pre...?p=SMD-HowTo-2

thats the proper and neat way to solder on an IC.. for removing the old one you can try desoldering but also can use a small side-cutter to cut each of the legs off from the side, i recommend this over the x-acto approach shown on that site.. http://www.okaphone.com/artikel.asp?id=402937 something like that.
Also for safety a grounded soldering station is advisable, with temperature setting. Other then that, let the wick do its magic
smily_headphones1.gif

Just thought id add my .02$ for those feeling unsure. I haven't done the mod myself yet, still waiting on the opamp to arrive.

Please post experiences/comments whoever does this mod! Great threat, cool mod.
Question to the original poster: is this opamp the definitive best choice or are there alternatives?

-phl

Apr 5, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #306 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by phalanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question to the original poster: is this opamp the definitive best choice or are there alternatives?

-phl

As far as ordinary opamps go, this is the best one I've tried. I've tried the AD8620, AD8066, OPA, LT1057, and some others. You can probably try the Burson discrete "opamp" or even the Zapfilter if you're brave (and crazy) enough. The Zapfilter is definately the best in terms of sound quality.

Apr 6, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #309 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirimaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have ordered 2 samples of LTC6244,i want see how thisone sound comparade to the stockone.

Interesting opamp! Tell us how it sounds! Make sure you have an amp though, because this opamp might have trouble driving low impedance loads like headphones.

Apr 6, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #310 of 2,194
Anyway, I reviewed my basic physics and figured out how the ERS Paper worked... and realized that they are WAY overpriced for what they are. You can probably make your own "ERS Paper" by obtaining a sheet of copper mesh and sandwiching it between two sheets of paper. I am sorry I advocated the use of this overpriced product, but it does work.

btw, I think the ELNA Cerafine sounds amazing too! They are warmer than the Blackgates. BTW, 1000uF is all you need.

elnaqj6.jpg

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #311 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, I reviewed my basic physics and figured out how the ERS Paper worked... and realized that they are WAY overpriced for what they are. You can probably make your own "ERS Paper" by obtaining a sheet of copper mesh and sandwiching it between two sheets of paper. I am sorry I advocated the use of this overpriced product, but it does work.

btw, I think the ELNA Cerafine sounds amazing too! They are warmer than the Blackgates. BTW, 1000uF is all you need.

elnaqj6.jpg

wooo...thats super huge...

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #312 of 2,194
very.... lol

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #313 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Holy crap, that is a really huge capacitor. I don't think my computer will fit
blink.gif

too much wire and stuff inside.

Apr 6, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #314 of 2,194
hehe a _bit_ oversized cap .
Overdoing things is always fun
biggrin.gif

I actually removed the shielding today, the sound got a little bit too warm and cozy for my taste after testing it now for awhile.

Guess it depens on the system/room and listeners taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back