Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Apr 6, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #316 of 2,194
You might want to try the LTC6244 first,the reason is, it might be crap for audio as no one seems to use it for this use and you can just cut it out(unless your a whizz with a soldering iron and can remove them with out breaking it) and insert the AD8599 which some people prefer to the LM4562.

P.S. I take it you had no luck with NAT Semiconductor?

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #317 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by bDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Attached in the pdf is the output circuit that I have traced on an X-Fi Platinum. I cannot see any of the 22uF electrolytic caps in the ouput at all but have traced some connected to +5v and -5v rails. Replacing the op amps are a great idea but could more be done replacing the transistors Q2,Q3,Q4,Q5 that are all marked J1X on the front outputs and on the other outputs a different set of transistors are used marked O2NR. Anyone know what who makes the J1X and O2NR transistors?

That does not look at all like the output circuit of the X-Fi for the front output at the back of the card. The shown schematic has an unbalanced input where as the X-Fi has ballanced inputs & that is why you need to short 2 capacitors for each channel, one for each signal leg.

Oops I see you are talking of the power circuit not the input circuit, Shorting these would cause the 5 volt regulator to fail & ruin your card The caps that I shorted are in the signal path from the DAC to the opamp to both the positive & negative inputs these have less than +3 volt on them which gets cancelled in the opamp. This is true D.C. coupling & there is a small D.C. offset left over. Most amps are not D.C. coupled so this is not much of an issue but be aware some high end amps ARE D.C. COUPLED as well & may have NO D.C. OFFSET PROTECTION. 30 millivolts times 16 (a typical gain for a power amp = .48 volts). THIS IS enough to cause concern about OVERHEATING such an amp. Capitals are for emphasis.

I can get away with this even though all my amps are D.C. coupled because my preamp has D.C. protection built in by using a D.C. servo so the excess D.C. is cancelled in the preamp.

Apr 7, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #319 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by GameBlaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What will be the side effects of using 1000 uF, 16V power filter caps from other manufacturer like samsung . . ?

it's perfectly fine. i never used a samsung so i can't tell you how it will sound like. i do know that some of the cheaper capacitors have a tendency to blow up and emit poisonous gases, though.

Apr 7, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #320 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's perfectly fine. i never used a samsung so i can't tell you how it will sound like. i do know that some of the cheaper capacitors have a tendency to blow up and emit poisonous gases, though.

what I mean, is the higher uF caps will lead to higher quality sound or amplification .
confused.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #321 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by GameBlaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what I mean, is the higher uF caps will lead to higher quality sound or amplification .
confused.gif

Nah, 1000uF is definately enough considering that the stock one was 220uF. Anything over 470uF is an upgrade.

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #327 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking of doing this mod myself but am unsure as I get conflicting reports so I wanted to ask somebody who has done the mod if the hear any improvements...

There were a couple reports several pages back with only the PSU mod, but this thread is kind of long so I can't find them anymore.

Apr 8, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #329 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So nobody has actually heard the A/B after doing this mod? I am just curious as to the amount of gains produced by this mod.

well just going from the stock op-amp to the new op-amp there is a pretty big difference. My Blackgates and ERS paper should ship tomorrow so I can complete the mod. I do have 3 x-fi's so I can do a brief listen before I mod all 3 if you would like.

Apr 9, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #330 of 2,194
Can anyone comment on the differences between the XtremeMusic and XtremeGamer (component quality wise)?
Also, has anyone successfully modded the XtremeGamer?

The XG is available right now at the egg for $49.99 AR, which seems like a pretty hot deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back