Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
Mar 29, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #256 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I am typing, I am at home eating green tea ice cream
blink.gif

anyway, A week with out my computer/headphone set up is a pain, I literally have no entertainment at all.

suddenly start to wonder, what M-Audio card did you got, just check the web, and they indeed are balance audiophile card. plus, how do they sound compare to x-fi

Oooo... green tea ice cream is the best. I will buy some right now!

Did you know that some M-Audio cards come with Blackgates? Yeah kinda surprising. I have the M-Audio Audiophile 192 (of the Delta series) that I got in a trade with hydrocity here. They use the AKM DAC which is very good. I actually never heard this card, since I use its digital out to my external DAC (Zhaolu 2.5). My Zhaolu doesn't use opamps but discrete Z-transistors. The sound is very different from opamps, like comparing vacuum tubes to solid state. My current system sounds warm and intimate, and altogether pretty unique. In contrast, the modded X-Fi is like an oversamplist's dream with my K701.

The Audiophile192 has a ton of features though. You can even get 4 of them and use them all at once, like for surround sound or as speaker crossovers.

Mar 29, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #257 of 2,194
anyone can mod my xfi for a small fee and faster turning time? i cant afford to wait like 2-3 weeks without my card cause it will make my listening experience less fun...=)

Mar 29, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #259 of 2,194
Are you guys sure that the 4 22uF caps aren't necessary ? I mean,shouldn't the opamps too be given some current reserve if they are to drive headphones directly.I understand their removal if one only plans to use the card as the source(not as an amp).

Mar 29, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #260 of 2,194
Plugged in my modded card one hour ago, the sound has really opened up. Everything is more clear and the soundstage is noticeable wider.

I shorted the caps anyway despite my previous hesitations :p

Took some precaution thought.

I measured the DC output with a multimeter. it read 0.000mv all the way from starting the computer until i turned it off.
Was i supposed to play music while i measured ?

One funny thing, i then tested with some old crappy headphones and the sound was really, really muddy.

Thought it was the card that had got messed up but i dicovered it was the old headphones that were reeeeaaally crappy. Got a bit worried there hehe.

Anyway, great mod !

Mar 29, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #261 of 2,194
first i shorted those 4 caps and when turned on my pc,there was no sound in the front channel or headphones.
then i unshorted the caps and wow the sound was more clear and there is more soundstage.
can i get same results if i short others caps of surround dacs?
thanks.

Mar 29, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #262 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirimaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first i shorted those 4 caps and when turned on my pc,there was no sound in the front channel or headphones.
then i unshorted the caps and wow the sound was more clear and there is more soundstage.
can i get same results if i short others caps of surround dacs?
thanks.

huh? you shorted and unshorted the caps and the sound changed? that is strange... are you sure you shorted the right caps? i'm pretty sure it will work and produce sound if shorted correctly...

Mar 29, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #264 of 2,194
Quote:

yes,thats what i dont understand why.i also thought that shorted the wrong caps,but not i was right.

Yes, that's correct. Are you sure all four were bridged correctly? If only 3 of them are bridged, then it won't output any sound.

Mar 29, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #266 of 2,194
Quote:

all of them were bridged properly,i am very confused.
i am going to short all the caps of dacs and see what happen.

I am confused as well.

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #268 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichyRich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi cotdt,is it ok if I pm you for help in modding a Phillips SBC HD1502U headphone amp I use for movies and MTV.Cheers.

Sure, and pictures would be nice =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back