hotaudio40 's amps
Feb 3, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #271 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotaudio40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, well these are not 119 dB, cause that is just insane...

They are:
Impedance: 16 ohms / Sensitivity: 104 dB

Which is like 10's of factors different I think...

but my ears are pretty sensitive
smily_headphones1.gif

So I am going "Hiss Hunting"!
smily_headphones1.gif

If I find any, and I think I will...
I will DESTROY it!
smily_headphones1.gif
lol

I looked up the specs on your headphones and the spec that stood out the most was the price...

Yikes!!!

Hehe, the sensitivity is actually a problem as you know.

Yes they are a bit pricy. And I dont really think they are worth it.

Good hunting!
wink.gif

,Stian

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #272 of 771
Hmm...I might be able to make the run with one USB hub in the middle, then. Maybe I can disguise it in a basket on the mantle.
wink.gif

Poking around just a bit, I'm seeing maybe why nobody's used these with wireless, yet. Just a few threads on here and elsewhere seem to suggest that wireless USB doesn't work so well with audio. I don't know why that would be--it's just a data stream, right? Anyway, even looking at wireless, it starts to get awfully "fiddley" when you start looking at various implementations. I can't help thinking this conflicts with the "simpler is better" design concept of your DACs.

Just curious--is that why all your DAC's are USB? A lot simpler taking the power off the bus then having to come up with a clean power stage? Have you ever experimented with S/PDIF or other interfaces?

Feb 3, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #273 of 771
Yes, it is possible wireless USB may have timing issues that may interfere with a clean audio stream, but on the other hand that's what they are designed for.... USB data transfer...

I'd imagine the newer models would have some kind of buffer to make sure the data timing is right....

But I really haven't tried it myself...

My DACs all use USB because I figure that is the most common and the future of audio will for sure be from the PC.

I have NO spdif input devices, but I have a few the output spdif like my CD player.

My chips all come with the ability to output spdif, but I don't use it, due more to a space issue then anything else.

Also the more I add to the boards the longer they take me to build.

As all my products are hand made, it takes several hours in some cases to make a unit, whereas in an assembly line running SMT machines, the time per unit could be only a few minutes if even that.

When I worked on a assembly line we were responsible for 400 phones an hour....

I might make 2 or 3 amps a day, any more and I suffer from migraines as these devices use very tiny parts and my eyes can only handle so much....

So adding a spdif isn't really an issue, it is just fitting it in a box and a time issue.

And also a price issue...

Is anyone really willing to pay the extra money it would cost for me to put a spdif output on my DACs ???

From my experience I really doubt it would be worth my time.

And also I'm already providing the best possible sound out of your PC to analogue, so why would you want the spdif data ???
smily_headphones1.gif

I could see making a DAC with spdif input, but then it can't run off a PC.

I have a few chips with spdif inputs as well and someday I'll hook one up see how it sounds...

hotaudio40

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #274 of 771
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Quote:

My DACs all use USB because I figure that is the most common and the future of audio will for sure be from the PC.

Perhaps, but the distance limitation will have to be dealt with--people are already trying to figure out how to stream their audio into different rooms in the house.

Quote:

So adding a spdif isn't really an issue, it is just fitting it in a box and a time issue.

Being time-constrained myself, I can appreciate that.
wink.gif

Quote:

I could see making a DAC with spdif input, but then it can't run off a PC.

Actually, I bought my most recent motherboard with S/PDIF out, so it is possible.

After researching a bit, it's hard to say USB is a clear winner of S/PDIF. Search the web and you find a lot of conflicting viewpoints. Chris over at computeraudiophile.com did a pretty nice article about the issue:USB v. S/PDIF | Computer Audiophile

All sonic things appearing to be equal (at least for the moment), it comes down to a matter of form-factor. For my application, S/PDIF wins out, because nobody blinks at the idea doing of a 25' run (or longer) on 75-Ohm digital coaxial cable.

So, trying to get back on-topic *looks nervously over at the forum mod.* ...I guess I would spend more for a box with S/PDIF input. Whether or not I can actually swing it, though, is another matter.
wink.gif

Thanks again for the reply--I can see why everyone on this thread raves about your customer service. It's a pleasure just speaking with you on the forum.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #275 of 771
Yes, what would win over...

SPDIF vs. USB or something similar...

Here is my thought.

Because SPDIF is optical it has the potential for unlimited data transfer making idea for any communication medium.

BUT, and this is big but...

You can't get power from an optical cable....

So usb has the ability to remote power devices WITHOUT the need for costly and additional components.

So probably computers will end up with both an optical and a type of USB that has the ability to power devices.

Having the ability to power devices is a very important function.

Probably what will end up happening is a new line will come out with optical AND the two power supply lines.

Then you get the best of both worlds.

Power and the ability to transfer data at ANY speed to pretty much any practical distance.

Although, I have a theory that because the chips have more and more pins.

Like the processors now have hundreds of pins and will have even more in the future.

The PCB boards are saturated.

And the only way around this is either couple the chips (like cpu, ram, etc.) by optical, or more likely, by a very short range wireless signal.

And that will open up a whole new ball game for designers like me
smily_headphones1.gif

BECAUSE, the chips will all talk to each other and only have the two power supply lines....

All data will be transmitted wirelessly.

And after that they will do away with the power supply lines and make the chips work the same way as those tracking chips in animals work with a resonance circuit that gets activated by electromagnetic fields. (pulses).

THEN you won't need any tracks or wires.

Just place the chips you want on the board. Well you wouldn't really even need a board, you could throw them all in a box together
smily_headphones1.gif

And they will all talk and communicate with each other.

And at the heart of the system will be this very small power supply that outputs pulses of energy that the chips pick up on ( Probably will do the timing as well, like a clock, crystal )

It will power them up and get the whole thing rolling....

And just before they go completely to wireless.

They will use a kinda USB - Optical hybrid cable
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll even tell you what it will look like
smily_headphones1.gif

It will look exactly like a fiber optical cable and will even work with fiber optics because it will be the same size and have a fiber optic core, just like the cables we use now.

The difference will be that it will have two shields.
One will be the voltage, and the other will be the ground ( the outside one will be ground of course
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Remember, you heard it here first!
smily_headphones1.gif

lol, well I really got ahead of myself there...

I think it's going to be an R&D day!

hotaudio40

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #276 of 771
Hey hotaudio40... Quick question:

Is it all right to leave my 'DAC The Destroyer' plugged in to the USB port at all times or do I need to unplug it when I'm not listening to headphones?

TIA
Mark in St. Louis

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #277 of 771
Well it is alright to leave it plugged in.

But I actually don't recommend leaving anything plugged in when your not around.

It's just common sense as I'm a big believer in saving electricity as well as not taking chances of any kind.

So I'd unplug it when your not around.

That's what I would do.

It won't hurt it if you leave it plugged in though.

It is basically up to you.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #278 of 771
Hi this is my first post, even though I have been lurking for a few months.

Just wanted to say that because of this thread I purchased the TPA6120a2 Based Headphone Amplifier with Alps Digital Volume from Dave. I have only had it a week and it is still burning in, but initial impression are very positive even though I don't have much to compare it to.

But I can already tell a large improvement in dynamics and base control and enough improvement in detail that I am busily upgrading all my MP3 files to at least 320bps. I will need a better storage solution before I can go lossless.

And I can also confirm the great customer service and E-mail responces from Dave. It was a pleasure to purchase from him.

I will add Pics and further impressions as the burn in continues and I get some better files to listen to.

Mark

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #280 of 771
Hey everyone, be careful, your gonna give me a big ego
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for all the comments!

I have the BEST customers!

Hey and I got myself a new set of tweeters today....

They just happen to have wooden boxes around them and a couple of 6.5 inch drivers
smily_headphones1.gif

Some Sony towers, and so far so good, and the price was amazing!

Interestingly the sound is completely different from my PSBs....

It is amazing how much one component changes the sound of the WHOLE system...

These speakers are not as bright as the PSBs and probably not as accurate, but then again they've only got a few hours on them, and were a 1/4 the price, so we'll see....

I almost smoked these already too!

So once again, be warned !!!

MAKE SURE ALL YOUR VOLUMES ARE TURNED DOWN , ESPECIALLY ON THE POWER AMPLIFIER!!!! BEFORE YOU LISTEN TO MUSIC....

That sounds obvious, BUT, it can happen so easily and bye bye tweeters.....

Luckily these tweeters are still tweeting and I'm sure Sony thought that might happen and somehow protected them, perhaps that's why they don't sound as bright....

hotaudio40

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #281 of 771
Just a small note:

When making a purchase from my store website or my evilbay website...

MAKE SURE YOUR ADDRESS IS CORRECT IN PAYPAL !!!

DON'T MAKE THE PAYMENT UNTIL YOUR ADDRESS IS CORRECT!!!

I often ship within 1/2 hour of a purchase, and I ship to the payment address associated with the paypal payment!

Thanks very much!

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #282 of 771
Really looking forward to beeing able to order my hotusb. I see its on sale now, but im just gonna have to wait for my next paycheck at the end of the month
smily_headphones1.gif

What is the name of the DAC chip in the hotusb?

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #283 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by NilsenNorway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really looking forward to beeing able to order my hotusb. I see its on sale now, but im just gonna have to wait for my next paycheck at the end of the month
smily_headphones1.gif

What is the name of the DAC chip in the hotusb?

The DAC chip is a PCM2705.

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #285 of 771
Quote:

Yes, what would win over...

SPDIF vs. USB or something similar...

Here is my thought.

Because SPDIF is optical it has the potential for unlimited data transfer making idea for any communication medium.

BUT, and this is big but...

You can't get power from an optical cable....
hotaudio40

I'm stilll trying to figure out how I'm going to arrange things so I haven't heard your DAC yet. But if it is as good as comments seem to suggest, you should figure out how to build it with a SPDIF input (usb not needed) and a 5v supply needed. There is a large installed base of Slim Devices/Logitech Squeezeboxes. They run off a 5v wallwart which you could steal a little power from. AND if you price it low and it is good you could sell a ton of DAC upgrades. There are many people who spend $300 for an SB3 and then hook up a $500-2000 DAC to the digital outs. Even if your dac can't compete with a Benchmark or Lavry, if it is clearly better than the SB3 dac there is a huge market. Something to think about.

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back