Originally Posted by hotaudio40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey thanks allot!!!
Those are my tweeters
smily_headphones1.gif

Hotaudio40
smily_headphones1.gif

No inside connections. Just lucky I guess
wink.gif

I thought I would try to help, since you are so kind to your customers.
Just happy to help
L3000.gif

To keep or upgrade is always the same conundrum, and usually ends up with an upgrade if you first get the idea into your head (at least it is that way for me)

3 more days to I can test my own DAC supreme
redface.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #257 of 771
hey all. so sorry I haven't posted an in depth review of my Hotusb1 yet, I'm back in school now and so I haven't really had the time. anyway. I love the sound of it and I've been comparing it to some of the pro gear that my school has and I must say that it really holds it's own. I have one quick question though. would it be safe to plug powered speakers into the Hotusb1. I've been listening to it so much that I don't really want to go back to listening out of my laptop audio so I was thinking of using the hotsub1 since it has a dac in it. any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #258 of 771
Yes, it is totally safe to plug the HOTUSB1 into POWERED speakers or any other high impedance device, like a receivers input ( CD or AUX ), or even directly into a Power Amplifiers line inputs.

Just never connect it directly to speakers or any load lower then 16 ohms!

Typically receivers and power amps have input impedances of several thousand, like 10,000 to 50,000 ohms so they are perfectly safe for use with the HOTUSB1 and all my other DACs including my headphone amplifiers as well.

hotaudio40

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #259 of 771
(Blame openoffice for any typos and poor English
wink.gif
)

Landed back home in Norway 3 hours ago and I finally got to play with my DAC supreme.

The DAC came in a small box, but seemed well protected and was unharmed.

I have only seen pictures of the DAC supreme on HotAudio.com, and I thought the DAC would not be as solid and well put together as it is. I think it is small, clean and good looking.
Pictures will be added later, because I seem to have forgotten my cable.

Equipment:
HP: HD600 with standard cable
Amp: Head direct EF-1
Source: Foobar2000 and iTunes using Flac and 320kb mp3 respectively
Interconnections: Kimber silver streak / Tara Labs RSC reference

This is a short initial impression review:
The DAC has only been playing for 1 hour now, but I am already very satisfied by the level of details. I hear “things” in my favorite tracks that I have not noticed before. The sound is also much more open and airy. It also improved the sound stage of my HD600 slightly (I regard sound stage of the HD600 as its biggest Achilles' heel and it is only so much a DAC can do about it).

I was a bit worried that the DAC would color the sound too much, even though I prefer dark rather then bright sound I do not fancy the thought of a DAC that adds to much. Dave describes the DAC supreme as a bit dark (am I right?), I would describe it as neutral to maybe a tiny tint of “the darkness”
wink.gif
more neutral then dark. Which I think is perfect! But it has not been burned in yet, so I will try to listen closely for any changes as the DAC matures. I am not a big believer that “burning in” changes the sound signature in any drastic manner, but I will try to see if I can notice any changes.

I'll add more later. But for now it is me, foobar, supreme, EF-1 and HD600
biggrin.gif

Stian

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #260 of 771
Thanks for the impressions.

If you remove the EF-1, how would you describe the sound from just the dac? I doubt it would do very well with the HD600s, but the D2000s should work fine, no? Or were those impressions without the EF-1?

As for the dac burning in, I can't say that I saw much change out of my HotUSB1 after the first hour or so. Out of my Ultrasones, however, their was a huge difference. But that's apples and oranges.

Enjoy the dac!

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #261 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wenglish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the impressions.

If you remove the EF-1, how would you describe the sound from just the dac? I doubt it would do very well with the HD600s, but the D2000s should work fine, no? Or were those impressions without the EF-1?

As for the dac burning in, I can't say that I saw much change out of my HotUSB1 after the first hour or so. Out of my Ultrasones, however, their was a huge difference. But that's apples and oranges.

Enjoy the dac!

Hi

That was how I felt the sound changed when I added the DAC. I haven't had much time listening to it yet, so I'll be more specific later.

I'll try to remove the EF-1 later on, but as you said, the HD600 need some power to be controlled properly.

I cant test the D2000, because it is at Lawton audio getting new cups, cord and a markl mod
biggrin.gif

Stian

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #262 of 771
Pictures of the DAC supreme:

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #263 of 771
Well Yes....

I'd say the supreme is very neutral... , but I tried to give it just a little warmth, without going over the edge and still remaining as accurate as possible
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as burn-in goes...

I'd say I never believed in it until I heard myself.

But sometimes I burn the DACs in before I ship them and sometimes I only run them for an hour or so.

I keep DACs burning in as much as possible.

It is part of my testing and quality assurance program
smily_headphones1.gif

But some DACs don't get as much time as others, so on those DACs you'll notice a big difference in warmth and clarity.

Thanks for the pictures!

I love when my stuff gets this much attention!

It can be a bit nerve racking, but I learn from all the feedback!

All comments, and even critique is totally welcome!

hotaudio40

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #265 of 771
Hi there! I'm just getting my HTPC running, so I've been reading this thread on hotaudio's work with great interest. I realize I may not immediately realize that much benefit from an external DAC because my phones are pretty basic (Sennheiser HD-202's), but I'm expecting to upgrade in the near future. Two quick questions:

1.) In my particular application, my listening location is across the room from my HTPC, so I'm looking at about a 25-foot cable run, considering I have to make it pretty for the wife--i.e. no cables strewn straight across the floor
wink.gif
. Looks like the max length spec. for USB2 is approx. 16 feet. :p I haven't seen any of hotaudio's offerings with S/PDIF inputs, so I'm wondering if there's an elegant way to make that long a USB run--seems risky when the units are getting their power from the USB bus--am I correct in assuming that? Will the increased length cause signal degradation/other electrical problems? Would an active solution (i.e. USB hub or extender) even work? Should I just be looking at a DAC with S/Pdif/coaxial inputs instead?

...oh, that's already more than two questions--and not very quick. :p

...5.) How would these do driving the Grado SR-80 or SR-125's? (Impedance on both of these is 32 ohms)

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #266 of 771
Yes, the USB spec says no more then 15 foot USB cable runs...

I have heard a few guys using USB hubs without any noise issues.

But I would like someone to try a wireless USB hub and see how that sounds.

I've never tried either as I just use the standard 6 foot USB cable, but I know for a fact that the wired USB hubs work fine.

I'm sure it does depend on the quality of the hub as the USB DAC does get its' power from the USB hub.

But so far nobody has mentioned that adding a HUB makes any noise difference....

The units really like ALL 32 ohm headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

My amps and dacs LOVE Grado and Sennheiser equipment
smily_headphones1.gif

Somebody please try the wireless USB hub...

Doesn't matter with what DAC, they all pretty much would work the same as far as power supply issues and perhaps dropouts go.

Somebody give it a try and get back.

I'd do it myself, but I really have no need for a wireless USB hub at this time.

Thanks!
hotaudio40

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #267 of 771
At home and at work, I run a MarkIV through a 7-port powered USB hub...not to extend the distance, but rather to free up a USB port on my computer or dock.

Regarding powered speakers: At home, my M-Audio DX4s have responded with greater clarity and volume. At work, my M-Audio StudioPro 3s are likewise powered through a MarkIV, but I the 3s were so clear to begin with that I can't be sure how much to credit the MarkIV. Besides, I scarcely ever play through the speakers because I share an office with two colleagues.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #269 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotaudio40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oooo, I got me some IEMs coming...
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm so excited...

These are nice Panasonic RP-HJE550S

Panasonic - HeadSets - Lightweight - RP-HJE550S

Now I can get into the IEM game
smily_headphones1.gif

Gonna make me a small IEM class A amp...

Wait for it....

hotaudio40

Nice
smily_headphones1.gif
congrats

Just be sure that you ALWAYS have everything turned down when you put them on.

I have made that mistake twice, and it hurts.
So be careful especially if you test it with one of your 150mV DAC's
wink.gif

Stian

(haven't had time to tests what you suggested in your mail, but I guess you gonne do it now anyway)

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #270 of 771
lol, well these are not 119 dB, cause that is just insane...

They are:
Impedance: 16 ohms / Sensitivity: 104 dB

Which is like 10's of factors different I think...

but my ears are pretty sensitive
smily_headphones1.gif

So I am going "Hiss Hunting"!
smily_headphones1.gif

If I find any, and I think I will...
I will DESTROY it!
smily_headphones1.gif
lol

I looked up the specs on your headphones and the spec that stood out the most was the price...

Yikes!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back