hotaudio40 's amps
Apr 13, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #31 of 771
1Time, you should consider trying his opa2134 headphone amp to add some extra juice out of the hotusb1. I know exactly what you mean that the hotusb1 could use a little ooph with the 580's. I'm currently using the opa2134 amp with a cd player and it drives my 580's alot better. I don't turn it up more then a few notches and it's pretty loud.

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #32 of 771
Once again I'm flattered by you guys. I should hire 1Time for all the great things he is saying about my amps. One thing I must say though is all my HOTUSB1 amps are using PCM2705's now. They have just a little more jam then the previous models which were either PCM2707's or PCM2704's which were my first chips. But now I use only PCM2705's. I have a few PCM2707's around but they are not being used, maybe by special order
smily_headphones1.gif
They all sound amazing, the difference is the 2705 is a bit louder, and the 04, and 07 are perhaps a little warmer. But like I said, they all sound amazing. TI and Burr Brown make amazing chips period. Soon I will be adding a buffer stage to the output of the HOTUSB1, perhaps a AD8397 as it is a rail to rail chip capable of driving low impedance loads and sounds pretty amazing as well, as a plus it will run off the 5 volt USB buss. Not sure what chip I'll use as a buffer yet though. There are a number that continually blow my mind. I will call it a different name so you can recognize it, like the HOTUSB4+ or something like that...

Anyways, love reading this stuff, and feel honored by all the positive comments.

hotaudio40

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #35 of 771
Got mine today and burned it in for a few hours while I ran around and it sounds pretty good. Moves the sound out a little and gives me a better feeling of space even on my SR-60s. Sounds clear and I don't hear any static. With the money I saved I am gonna look at 225s when I start getting paychecks next month, so I will post how it sounds with cans that benefit from an Amp.

Also I thought I should add it's solid yet light and the build quality seems really good.

Apr 22, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #37 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNew007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which one of his products should I get? I need both an amp and a dac so HotUSB1 is the only one capable of doing that right?

It looks to me like hotaudio40 is currently selling a couple other USB DAC/amps that are similar to the HotUSB1. I suggest asking hotaudio40 which he recommends. What headphones will you be using?

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #38 of 771
So essentially it would completely bypass your soundcard then right?

You don't use the stereo output at all on your soundcard just the USB port.

I'm not sure how sound comes out of there if you are using a X-fi....can someone explain how it works?

I might get it to power my DT770's and leave my X-fi for my 5.1 system that way I won't have to unplug the speaker/plug in the headphones any time I want to switch.

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #39 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaproject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So essentially it would completely bypass your soundcard then right
You don't use the stereo output at all on your soundcard just the USB port.

Right. The PC sends the music to the HotUSB1 through a USB instead of through the sound card.

Quote:

I'm not sure how sound comes out of there if you are using a X-fi....can someone explain how it works?

You would select between the HotUSB1 or your sound card through "Sounds and Audio Devices" or whatever your operating system calls it. For Windows XP: Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio > Default device. My PC speakers are connected to my sound card and my HotUSB1 is connected to a USB for my cans. I sometimes use a shortcut to Sounds and Audio Devices that's on my desktop.

Quote:

I might get it to power my DT770's and leave my X-fi for my 5.1 system that way I won't have to unplug the speaker/plug in the headphones any time I want to switch.

Yes, that's how it works.

Apr 26, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #40 of 771
Yes. The HotUSB1 is exactly like an external USB sound card. It is stereo, has a 3.5mm female stereo Headphone jack, and has NO controls. All controls are done via the computer software. It will disable all other sound sources as far as I know. Thanks. Hotaudio40. I see 1Time beat me to it
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #41 of 771
Thought I should probably post this here rather at the bottom of the thread that led to it.

Long story short, I recently ordered a HotAudio DAC/amp as a gift for a friend. It's basically a HOTUSB2 (with the fixed USB cord) with a few tweaks -- a PCM2707 chip rather than the usual PCM2705 and some secret sauce which Dave said would make the DAC section "super quiet."

Anyway, it arrived today courtesy of CanadaPost and I had a chance to A/B it with my Apogee Duet before wrapping it up for my friend. Initial impression: money well spent.

Tried my 650s first, without expecting much from an amp the size of a large box of matches. And, yeah, it can't drive them fully. But it did surprisingly well. On the intro to Dire Straits' "Telegraph Road", the soundstage was a lot smaller on the HOTUSB, as you'd expect, but the reproduction was good, the bass hits had some authority and, as promised, the noise floor was very low. Same impression on Talk Talk's "Happiness is Easy" -- a really good recording with a beautiful close-miked upright bass line loping through it. Everything is still there, the little amp just doesn't have the power to bring it up close and personal on the 650s, where full volume on the Mac was just a shade above comfortable listening level.

Then moved on to the Senn 555s I got to go with it, and here the competition is a lot closer. The Duet still does a better job, but at more than five times the price it really, really ought to. The HOTUSB happily drives the 555s close to earbleed and, again, the DAC section holds up its end very nicely. I've never heard 555s before, but I spent a contented half hour listening to random lossless tracks on shuffle and my inexpert opinion is that the combo with the HOTUSB is a pleasant one and an excellent value.

Other than that, the unit is simplicity itself -- which may be a plus or a minus depending on your propensity to tweak. You plug the USB cable in, it's detected, you play music. There's a Mission Impossible footnote at the bottom of the short instruction sheet claiming the amp will commit hara-kiri if you try and open the casing. I don't intend to, so I can't testify to it.
wink.gif

Dave was friendly and responsive via email. I'm happy with the purchase and think my friend will be very pleased with his starter rig.

Th-th-that's all folks.

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #42 of 771
Bumping this thread, I just ordered mine, it'll probably be a while before I receive it down here in Mexico, but I'm excited to hear what this little guy can do. I just know my KSC75's can sound better than they do out of intergrated computer audio jacks
redface.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #43 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bumping this thread, I just ordered mine, it'll probably be a while before I receive it down here in Mexico, but I'm excited to hear what this little guy can do. I just know my KSC75's can sound better than they do out of intergrated computer audio jacks
redface.gif

I haven't heard the KSC75, but something tells me you're going to like the difference.

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #44 of 771
I just ordered the USB DAC and reading the comments here I can't wait. I'll be trying it out on a Darkvoice 336i and a newly purchased Meier Audio Headamp-1.

Has anyone compared this DAC with the popular EMU 0404 or Alien DAC? Those seem like tried and true DACs around here and it would be interesting to see a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back