Homemade Foam Ear Tips for IEMs
Aug 11, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #107 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch
This thread is a follow-up from another thread “Make Your Own Shure and UM2 Foamies!” started by noorudeenshakur.

Because the original thread had branched out well beyond Shure and UM2 foamies, there may be many Head-Fi’ers that have missed this interesting DIY project.

I agree the other thread went WAY off topic. Great post my friend!

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142983

for reference heres the original thread again.

Aug 17, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #108 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woosh
alright so whats the best way to punch a hole in the soft spongy ear plugs?

There are 2 basic flavors of earplug foam; urethane (smooth) and PVC (porous).

For a list of some earplug options see: http://earplugstore.com/foam_plug_information.htm

PVC: Good results have been had with the PVC by simply using a hole punch, or compressing them flat then drilling the hole (almost as good). This dates back to the observations of the original noorudeenshakur thread (see above post, or original post of this thread).

Urethane: Because these are pretty squishy, they are much more difficult to just flatten and drill. I went with the excellent advice of Sugarfried (from the Shure Co., very cool) and froze the urethane plugs to have a firmer object to drill. You need to work fast though. Please refer to post #1 for instructions. Others have had good results with other techniques also posted within this thread. I didn’t fare so well with the flatten and drill technique with urethane. Please see the pictures in post #28. I prefer the urethane foam tips for reasons mentioned in this thread, so the little extra effort is well worth it for me.

Good luck!

Aug 18, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #109 of 244
Aug 18, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #110 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme
hehe i did mine... with just a hot nail/tube from original foamies. it doesn't look that great, but im happy (sound is just as good).

Sound is all that matters.

Well, unless, of course, you impale yourself with the hot nail.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the feedback, and the pics, but be careful.

PS- Which earplug did you use?

Aug 18, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #111 of 244
oh yea i was wondering is it neccessary to have hard plastic tubing in the middle of the ear piece? im gona mod my cx300s with customs tips and the original silicon tips only extend about 3mm out of the driver, however these are fairly wide in diameter (5mm) so is it alright if i just cut the tips of a urethane earplug and drill a hole in the middle?

Aug 19, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #112 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woosh
oh yea i was wondering is it neccessary to have hard plastic tubing in the middle of the ear piece? im gona mod my cx300s with customs tips and the original silicon tips only extend about 3mm out of the driver, however these are fairly wide in diameter (5mm) so is it alright if i just cut the tips of a urethane earplug and drill a hole in the middle?

Dunno about the CX300.

I believe it has a larger diameter extrusion tube for the tip to fit over than the IEMs here.

Look back through the thread. I think someone tried this already for the CX300.

Good luck!

Aug 20, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #114 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch
Sound is all that matters.

Well, unless, of course, you impale yourself with the hot nail.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the feedback, and the pics, but be careful.

PS- Which earplug did you use?

my uncle is an engineer for GE, so he gets a bunch of free E-A-R foamies...

update: i went to petsmart today, and bought 6" cord of 1/8 inch tubes... i get the foamies free, and i got tube for $1.99. so basically i get a lifetime supply for $1.99 + heating up the hot nail
cool.gif

i might want to use superglue to glue the tube into the foam though. also need a way to cut the tube so that it's a straight edge. any tips on this? using a knife or pair of scissors doesnt make the surface flat, but it's still useable.

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #115 of 244
bump, i found a better way to do this.

all you need is a needle, or even a toothpick. all you do is poke a small hole through the foam, put something in the hole so it expands a bit, then eventually fit a chopstick in the gap... leave it there for a little bit, then take it out and insert the tube... then it just expands back and all is secure.

now i need to find a superglue with a small tube so i can glue the inside slightly without having any of it touching the outside foam.

Aug 23, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #116 of 244
Quote:

bump, i found a better way to do this.

all you need is a needle, or even a toothpick. all you do is poke a small hole through the foam, put something in the hole so it expands a bit, then eventually fit a chopstick in the gap... leave it there for a little bit, then take it out and insert the tube... then it just expands back and all is secure.

now i need to find a superglue with a small tube so i can glue the inside slightly without having any of it touching the outside foam.

Might not need superglue if the hole is so small.

It may also react with and damage the foam.

But as you get 'em free, please experiment and tell us about your results.

Thanks.

Aug 23, 2006 at 9:16 AM Post #117 of 244
actually with the method i used, i dont insert that much superglue (enough to keep it in place though)... so the sound has been relatively the same. it doesn't need superglue, but i'd prefer it because once you take out the IEMs, the tube might slip off.

i can take a picture and illustrate how i do it, it's pretty simple actually (i can make a pair in under 2 minutes, although it's not the most beautiful thing in the world).

the chopstick i use is PERFECT for making these IEMs, because they hold the tube in place so that i can lather the glue on it.. and then eventually insert it into the foam (without having to touch the glue on the tube).

Aug 30, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #118 of 244
Quote:

i can take a picture and illustrate how i do it, it's pretty simple actually (i can make a pair in under 2 minutes, although it's not the most beautiful thing in the world).

Yes, that would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sep 15, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #120 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigDee
Wow jsnatch that really sucks that you said to get 1/4" OD. I dunno what you were thinking but this is WAY too big
confused.gif

Ah well. I'll see if petsmart has what I want.

1/4" OD tubing works for my iM716. I'm not sure what the ID is, but the tubing is very thick.

Anyway, regarding tubing - I was actually looking for 3/16" tubing, but it was a bit PITA to find a place with good tubing. The pet stores around me (2 in my area) didn't carry anything even remotely small enough, and home depot only had 1/4" vinyl tubing (I had to try a bunch of coils to get one that would fit snugly; they're not all the same!), which I ended up buying. So far, it looks like they work... I just hope nothing stays in my ear later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back