Homemade Foam Ear Tips for IEMs
May 27, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #91 of 244
Apologies if this has been said elsewhere, but Im too lazy to search. Regarding heat-shrink tubing - don't use 1/8" because its slightly too large and you can't accurately shrink it down. Buy 1/4" thin-walled 2:1 heat-shrink (not double-walled, 4:1, or adhesive heat-shrink). Cut pieces to the appropriate length (or just slightly longer) and drop them in boiling water. After about 5 seconds of boiling the tubes shrink maximally in a nicely uniform manner. Fish them out delicately since they are still pliable until they cool. They shrink to just less than 1/8" I.D. and fit snugly on Shure E4 nozzles (likely similar to rest other nozzles). You'll also have a rounded edge on the ends since the sharp lines produced by cutting are shrunk down.

May 27, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #92 of 244
If anyone is interested: I used a tea infuser to boil the tips easily and avoid over-cooking them (if thats possible):
253810_P.jpg

But this probably unnecessary

May 31, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #96 of 244
I can't wait to try this. I'm gonna order my e4c and How Leight Max's in about two weeks. What I want to know is, should I just use they tubing that comes with the stock foamies or should I buy extra?

Jun 2, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #97 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigDee
I can't wait to try this. I'm gonna order my e4c and How Leight Max's in about two weeks. What I want to know is, should I just use they tubing that comes with the stock foamies or should I buy extra?

Hi bigDee. Good luck with the new phones.

I wouldn't rip apart the new, stock foamies just to make more. The 'audio' tubing that comes with the foamies can certainly be well utilized after the foamies wear out. So, if you want to experiment and compare the DIY with the stock foamies, you may need to get some tubing.

At least with the freezing method, which is my current preference, it is good to get the tubing in while they are still frozen solid. No compression, and the foamies forms around the tube nicely as they dry out.

Good luck, and post back with your results.

Later-

Jun 5, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #98 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch
Hi bigDee. Good luck with the new phones.

I wouldn't rip apart the new, stock foamies just to make more. The 'audio' tubing that comes with the foamies can certainly be well utilized after the foamies wear out. So, if you want to experiment and compare the DIY with the stock foamies, you may need to get some tubing.

At least with the freezing method, which is my current preference, it is good to get the tubing in while they are still frozen solid. No compression, and the foamies forms around the tube nicely as they dry out.

Good luck, and post back with your results.

Later-

Ok I definitely will post results. I don't have a camera though. If I did I'd post my whole journey and all but oh well. Here is the tubing I plan on ordering. This is correct yes?
http://www.crowbarelectricalparts.co...ink_Tubing.htm

btw is this the exact tubing that is used in stock foamies, and if not, will SQ be effected by a change in tubing alone?

Jun 5, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #99 of 244
Okay, so I like the tri-flanges a lot more now. They're less of a hassle, don't bother me at all, and isolate better for me. I guess that means I'm postponing my DIY foamy project for a while, if I even end up doing it. Right now I'm low on money, and I'm dying to spend what I'm saving up. If I'm still interested in this when I get enough money, and don't feel the urge to buy more headphones, I'll continue what I was planning.

Jun 6, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #100 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigDee
Ok I definitely will post results. I don't have a camera though. If I did I'd post my whole journey and all but oh well. Here is the tubing I plan on ordering. This is correct yes?
http://www.crowbarelectricalparts.co...ink_Tubing.htm

btw is this the exact tubing that is used in stock foamies, and if not, will SQ be effected by a change in tubing alone?

1) Tubing: try a pet store (aquarium tubing), hardware store or a scientific supply store, eg, VWR (1/8" ID, 1/4" OD):

http://www.vwrsp.com/catalog/product...ight=63012-445

I haven't tried heat shrink, but bashot appeared to have good results.

2) I haven't observed any noticeable changes due to tubing, but substantial changes due to fit and composition of the plug.

Jun 10, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #101 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch
1) Tubing: try a pet store (aquarium tubing), hardware store or a scientific supply store, eg, VWR (1/8" ID, 1/4" OD):

http://www.vwrsp.com/catalog/product...ight=63012-445

I haven't tried heat shrink, but bashot appeared to have good results.

2) I haven't observed any noticeable changes due to tubing, but substantial changes due to fit and composition of the plug.

Ok, I think imma look for the tubing today.

Edit: Petco has 3/16" OD. Should I get it?
I'm going to pick it up anyway since I am super bored and have no patience.

Edit: Nevermind Pet Depot has 1/4" tubing. I'm gonna pick it up today soon. I don't have the earplugs or even the earphones yet so for now I'm getting the tubing just for the novelty of it.

Edit: I'm just going to get everything off of ebay all at once. Should be in a couple of weeks. 2 weeks max I hope.

Aug 1, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #105 of 244
Don't really need it; if the hole in the foam is the right size, it should be just a little tighter than the tubing, and will squeeze the tubing well enough that you don't really need to worry about the foam slipping off.

Someone mentioned crazy glue, but I believe he overdid it and had some problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back