Home-Made IEMs
May 9, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #15,273 of 15,989
If I had to make up a definition, orthodynamic/planar drivers are electromagnetically driven transducers have traces on a freestanding, common plane. We're used to see bar magnets but IEM drivers are tiny and single poles work but at some point they're really just low profile DDs.
OK, but the 6mm we are discussing is not a single pole - it has two magnets and a diaphragm between, which fits your own definition. So it was sort of my point that people jump on this transducer being completely clueless about its design and technology behind it.

May 9, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #15,274 of 15,989
OK, but the 6mm we are discussing is not a single pole - it has two magnets and a diaphragm between, which fits your own definition. So it was sort of my point that people jump on this transducer being completely clueless about its design and technology behind it.

This 6mm planar works like a planar (rather than say the Square Planar). But honestly the voice coil design still throws me off as it is wound more like a dynamic driver than a planar driver with its traces laid out.

May 10, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #15,275 of 15,989
This dries incredibly thin and will require substantial numbers of additional coatings.
There is another work around which as an extra helps you to get your CIEM very nice looking. After you finish the shell apply one or 2 layers of lp/h or fotoplast with a wide soft brush to the outside of the shell. It will remove all uneven parts, make the in ear look very clear and shiny and will make it fit better. After you only need a laquer coat. I prefer to soak it in the laquer and make Shure to shake off any runners in the laquer before light cur-ring

May 10, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #15,276 of 15,989
There is another work around which as an extra helps you to get your CIEM very nice looking. After you finish the shell apply one or 2 layers of lp/h or fotoplast with a wide soft brush to the outside of the shell. It will remove all uneven parts, make the in ear look very clear and shiny and will make it fit better. After you only need a laquer coat. I prefer to soak it in the laquer and make Shure to shake off any runners in the laquer before light cur-ring
Two coats? Do you sand in between coats?

May 10, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #15,277 of 15,989
With this kind of result.
Two coats? Do you sand in between coats?
yes. But only very little. With a very fine grid. As attached picture.

Attachments

• 27C91B23-D0B6-4461-8AB1-45CB796E8682.jpeg
    27C91B23-D0B6-4461-8AB1-45CB796E8682.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • D080F4CB-EE33-4524-AB08-233C546F0774.jpeg
    D080F4CB-EE33-4524-AB08-233C546F0774.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 0
May 10, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #15,278 of 15,989
I am more focused on the art that comes around by making the in ears look special. Not so much on the electronics that go inside. I have worked with only the 2 way, 3 way en 4 way systems that Knowles offer. And ofcourse with the dampers.
The thing is with the 4 driver GV 32830 you best use the dampers. This however takes up a lot more space. So it makes your CIEM bigger. The dampers need their minimal distance to the driver which makes the drivers sit back further from the ear canal.
So I did not use them anymore. Most of all because to my experience the 3 ways do also sound better straight out of the box. If you compare the size of the GK bass (ci) to the double GV bass (hodvtec) it’s twice as big. So that might also be the case why they sound better and deeper.
Since it’s been a while I last build a GV system last week I decided to build another GV system for my self again. I just couldn’t remember what they sounded like and why I stopped using them. I used the white and brown dampers. But the sound to me still remains very very flat. And I remembered now why I stopped using them. They are made for custom tuning especially. That means changing the way they are filtered and dampened. Something I don’t do. I have been using the GK-33211 over the last years mostly. I bought a lot of them because to my opinion they have the best sound straight out of the box without changing anything. They dont need dampers. That way they take up way less space so I can make the CIEM flatter. And they have an enhanced bass which makes them sound a better than the GK-31732 as well. I used to buy them from MCEar but sadly my business friend has passed away. Luckely I have been able to get in to contact with all his providers.

May 10, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #15,280 of 15,989
You won't have good results with that method with clear shell I think. Every time you sand the lacquer and apply a new one on top of it, it gets hazier and it would be noticeable with clears :)
I almost never make clear shells. There is not a lot of asking about this. What I do make with clear shell a lot is the ear canals. Because it looks nice but also because you’ll be able to see any kind of ear cerumen and how far it is up the tubes. Not Cleaning the ears before use is the biggest cause for repair. But also with the ear canal part I don’t have any issue getting them clear. Also not with my method. Biggest issue is to get the laquer on without being able to see the pensil strikes. I have been thinking of getting a spray gun. But then I would also need a spray booth and air suction etc. Don’t have the space for that. For now I just soak them into the laquer.

May 10, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #15,283 of 15,989
Coating an impression with silicone lacquer will require substantial layers to added. When applying multiple coats of UV lacquer, the layers will start to flake off with the heat created by the sanding/ buffing wheels. Its just not a great looking work flow unless you want to put on 12 coats of silicone lacquer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back