Home-Made IEMs
Sep 26, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #11,614 of 15,989
Its advanced level for sure
It needs a shell where you can put dual CI

The best part about that build is that even though its standard V shape

The Subbass CI actually helps in whole detail and subbass retention

And I feel its better than FIBAE 4 (@piotrus-g ...).. But thats my take and take it as a grain of salt
Agree with all your thoughts on the CI build, though I have not heard the Fibae 4 yet. It uses the SR and all my attempts to incorporate that driver into a build have fallen short so far. It does show promise, but I am not as smart as Piotrus!

Dhruv, I am looking for a very "harmon curve" build, v shaped with more accentuated bass (ie2017...see pic). Not concerned with coloration, as I have plenty of "neutral" and "flat" IEM's on the shelf. I'll be using this for EDM, Metal, Hard Rock.....no strings or classical...Got a build for me? I know you have tried and heard a million, so though I would ask...

Attachments

• curve1.jpg
    curve1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 26, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #11,615 of 15,989
Agree with all your thoughts on the CI build, though I have not heard the Fibae 4 yet. It uses the SR and all my attempts to incorporate that driver into a build have fallen short so far. It does show promise, but I am not as smart as Piotrus!

Dhruv, I am looking for a very "harmon curve" build, v shaped with more accentuated bass (ie2017...see pic). Not concerned with coloration, as I have plenty of "neutral" and "flat" IEM's on the shelf. I'll be using this for EDM, Metal, Hard Rock.....no strings or classical...Got a build for me? I know you have tried and heard a million, so though I would ask...
The Harman Curve is the closest thing we have to neutral/flat today.
index.jpg

https://www.headphonesty.com/2020/04/harman-target-curves-part-1/

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #11,616 of 15,989
I used a razor to remove the spout from an SWFK and then also used the razor to split the two halves of the SWFK into two WBFK’s.

I’m planning on using a razor to etch lines into the roof and wear away at the etched lines of the WBFK so I can try making my own makeshift TIA.

Sep 26, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #11,617 of 15,989
The Harman Curve is the closest thing we have to neutral/flat today.
index.jpg

https://www.headphonesty.com/2020/04/harman-target-curves-part-1/
So I am clear on what you are implying, you are saying these curves are flat/neutral? My apologies in advance if I have angered the Harmon gods, but those don't look flat to me. I am not attempting to go down a rabbit hole, I'm simply looking for a bass heavy build that works. Would love your thoughts if you (or anyone else) happen to have one....

Attachments

• curve1.jpg
    curve1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 27, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #11,618 of 15,989

Tell me the drivers you wanna use

So I am clear on what you are implying, you are saying these curves are flat/neutral? My apologies in advance if I have angered the Harmon gods, but those don't look flat to me. I am not attempting to go down a rabbit hole, I'm simply looking for a bass heavy build that works. Would love your thoughts if you (or anyone else) happen to have one....
Harman is not neutral

First of all, even diffuse feild in iem is also wrong(kind of)

The diffuse feild speaker measurement is done in an anechoic chamber

But mostly studio people listen in a well damped room which is still no where near a anechoic chamber. This room starts to add room Gain below 300Hz

The bass shelf Harman decided was the bass most of the people like.

Harman is technically a diffuse feild + bass shelf + upper midrange tuning with the help of people sample

A true Neutral is what I think is Ety ER4 + bass driver to do a bass shelf rise from 150Hz

Because to mantain neutrality, you need 100Hz to 1kHz flat or relatively flat

But in iem, due to small speaker I feel some very fine midbass is lost if I try boosting from 100Hz.

150Hz is super neutral point for boost(what I have experienced)

Now the bass amount is subjective and also objective

What is the bass demand
My bass neutral won't be other bass neutral

But to keep it safe and easy

Neutral is more like 5dB to 6dB rise, 10dB is more of a subwoofer Or harmanish region

12dB is Fun

Above it is mehh

Sep 27, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #11,619 of 15,989
I was being provocative on purpose you have not angered anyone :) A truly "flat" response curve would not be neutral if you put it in your ear. The natural resonances which appear in your concha and ear canal can´t take effect if your ear is occluded.

Harman is not neutral

But mostly studio people listen in a well damped room which is still no where near a anechoic chamber. This room starts to add room Gain below 300Hz

Harman is technically a diffuse feild + bass shelf + upper midrange tuning with the help of people sample

A true Neutral is what I think is Ety ER4 + bass driver to do a bass shelf rise from 150Hz

But in iem, due to small speaker I feel some very fine midbass is lost if I try boosting from 100Hz.

What is the bass demand

Neutral is more like 5dB to 6dB rise, 10dB is more of a subwoofer Or harmanish region

12dB is Fun

Above it is mehh
I pretty much agree the diffused field curve with an enhanced bass which rises from 200-100hz is the most neutral for the middled summ of listeners. This curve will look kinda like Harman curve however there are quite a few problems with targed curves like dhruv said. It is really coarse... Look at what the range is of those treble and bass adjustmends.
For the young ear for example, which is hears higher frequencys better, more bass is preffered. For older Folks that might not be true.
1601191109941.png

Here is maybe a better scaled graph of the harman curve.
1601191511449.png

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #11,620 of 15,989
I used a razor to remove the spout from an SWFK and then also used the razor to split the two halves of the SWFK into two WBFK’s.

I’m planning on using a razor to etch lines into the roof and wear away at the etched lines of the WBFK so I can try making my own makeshift TIA.
bro, cut it directy on the middle of the roof, dont tamper with the etched line on the side of the roof. Its what hold the whole thing together. And do it carefuly, diafragm is less than half mm from the roof surface.

Did a mistake before, accidentally snagged my tweezer into that side line, the whole BA came undone.

Sep 27, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #11,621 of 15,989
I was being provocative on purpose you have not angered anyone :) A truly "flat" response curve would not be neutral if you put it in your ear. The natural resonances which appear in your concha and ear canal can´t take effect if your ear is occluded.

I pretty much agree the diffused field curve with an enhanced bass which rises from 200-100hz is the most neutral for the middled summ of listeners. This curve will look kinda like Harman curve however there are quite a few problems with targed curves like dhruv said. It is really coarse... Look at what the range is of those treble and bass adjustmends.
For the young ear for example, which is hears higher frequencys better, more bass is preffered. For older Folks that might not be true.
1601191109941.png

Here is maybe a better scaled graph of the harman curve.
1601191511449.png
there is a 2019 one

https://banbeu.com/graph/tool/

check it here

Sep 27, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #11,622 of 15,989

Harman is not neutral

What is the bass demand

12dB is Fun

Above it is mehh
Dhruv, I currenly have on hand twfk, Ed 30761 and 29689, Gv32830, Sr6438, CI22955, Fed30048, Rab32257, Hodvtec 31618, WBFK 30019, and only the sonion 33aj007...used up my other sonion products including my 3800's. I look forward to your thoughts...sounds like the 12BD fun version is what I'm after...I do have plenty of room in my shells and am pretty good at soldering.

Sep 27, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #11,624 of 15,989
bro, cut it directy on the middle of the roof, dont tamper with the etched line on the side of the roof. Its what hold the whole thing together. And do it carefuly, diafragm is less than half mm from the roof surface.

Did a mistake before, accidentally snagged my tweezer into that side line, the whole BA came undone.
Yup, not going to use the seam on the side of the driver. Instead I'll etch onto the lid and attempt to create my own seam that I can continue to work at until I can pull the lid off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back