Home-Made IEMs
Oct 10, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #6,901 of 16,107
A question for the guys that have either the Egger or the Dreve or any other of the professional curing chambers. Do they have a platform that rotates or is the base just a flat non moving part. And has the difference in the end result been significantly different when using the Egger or Dreve uv curing units as compared to the shells produced when using the uv nail curing light things?

I have a professional unit, it does NOT have a rotating platform. It has a raised platform that a glass square bowl sits on.

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #6,902 of 16,107
image.jpg

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #6,903 of 16,107
With practice you can achieve comparable results with the UV nail light. The biggest difference is the quality of bulb that ships with the cheap uv nail light. The units that power the professional lights have built in ballasts to power the lights, the nail uv lights do not have the same mechanism so the bulbs have the mechanism to power the bulb.

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #6,904 of 16,107
I have a professional unit, it does NOT have a rotating platform. It has a raised platform that a glass square bowl sits on.

Thank you for the response and the pic!

> What brand unit do you have? It looks like there are 3 tubes in the lid, 3 tubes in the base and one small skinny tube on the rear side (that white thing just below the hinge) Is that correct? Are there any other tubes positioned anywhere on the unit?

> I believe that you can get the tubes for about $15USD each. So it would be a min of $90USD just in tubes if you were to make your own.

> I think that the Dual-Lite UV Cure Unit (from Oaktree products) is about $150USD ... and it's bigger brother the Mini Dual-Lite UV Curing Unit is about $250 USD... but I'm not 100% certain that it is suitable for our task or whether it's just for "spot repairs" of hearing aids. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on it's suitability.

> There is also a Chinese made uv cure chamber on AliExpress for about $350 USD. Any thoughts on those units?

Appreciate the advice :)

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #6,905 of 16,107
A question for the guys that have either the Egger or the Dreve or any other of the professional curing chambers. Do they have a platform that rotates or is the base just a flat non moving part. And has the difference in the end result been significantly different when using the Egger or Dreve uv curing units as compared to the shells produced when using the uv nail curing light things?
I don't have a platform that rotates

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #6,906 of 16,107
Thank you for the response and the pic!

> What brand unit do you have? It looks like there are 3 tubes in the lid, 3 tubes in the base and one small skinny tube on the rear side (that white thing just below the hinge) Is that correct? Are there any other tubes positioned anywhere on the unit?

> I believe that you can get the tubes for about $15USD each. So it would be a min of $90USD just in tubes if you were to make your own.

> I think that the Dual-Lite UV Cure Unit (from Oaktree products) is about $150USD ... and it's bigger brother the Mini Dual-Lite UV Curing Unit is about $250 USD... but I'm not 100% certain that it is suitable for our task or whether it's just for "spot repairs" of hearing aids. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on it's suitability.

> There is also a Chinese made uv cure chamber on AliExpress for about $350 USD. Any thoughts on those units?

Appreciate the advice :)

My unit is a Dreve unit, it has 3 lights on the bottom, 3 lights in the lid, 4 lights surrounding (1 on each side) total lights is 10. I can control top middle and bottom lights separately as well as set the time. Typical time for perfect thickness transparent shells is 1min 30sec for Fotoplast for a medium size investment. Times vary based on color of shells and size of the investment. There is no miracle time as it just becomes something you know after a while. My ears are big thus require more material thus requiring longer cur time. My wife’s ears are small thus requiring lest material this resulting in shorter cure time.

There definitely is a science to it, but it comes down to technique you’ve become instinctual to.

I have made just as good shells that you would not be able to tell between whether they were in my chamber or under a uv nail light. 365nm-395nm is 365nm-395nm regardless of the source.

I think controlled elements are key to perfect shells every time. Meaning you can control how your impressions are trimmed, take the extra care to get them as smooth and shaped as possible, do the extra steps, dip the impressions in wax to get a perfectly smooth surface, spend the time to master the investment making whether its with ballistic gel, gelatin, krystaloid, or sillicone. If you do all of those steps and master each one your shells will come out perfect every time. Those are the controlled elements.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #6,907 of 16,107
My unit is a Dreve unit, it has 3 lights on the bottom, 3 lights in the lid, 4 lights surrounding (1 on each side) total lights is 10. I can control top middle and bottom lights separately as well as set the time. Typical time for perfect thickness transparent shells is 1min 30sec for Fotoplast for a medium size investment. Times vary based on color of shells and size of the investment. There is no miracle time as it just becomes something you know after a while. My ears are big thus require more material thus requiring longer cur time. My wife’s ears are small thus requiring lest material this resulting in shorter cure time.

There definitely is a science to it, but it comes down to technique you’ve become instinctual to.

I have made just as good shells that you would not be able to tell between whether they were in my chamber or under a uv nail light. 365nm-395nm is 365nm-395nm regardless of the source.

I think controlled elements are key to perfect shells every time. Meaning you can control how your impressions are trimmed, take the extra care to get them as smooth and shaped as possible, do the extra steps, dip the impressions in wax to get a perfectly smooth surface, spend the time to master the investment making whether its with ballistic gel, gelatin, krystaloid, or sillicone. If you do all of those steps and master each one your shells will come out perfect every time. Those are the controlled elements.
Where do I learn to dip impressions in wax etc? I don't suppose you have made a YouTube video....

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #6,910 of 16,107
The Wax dipping video is on page 315. Shiloh has a lot of good tutorials starting on about page 312 or so.
Awesome, that's for the citations! :call_me: :call_me:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back