Home-Made IEMs

1. Squirg
    A combination of practice, the right tools, and countless hours on this forum! I can't express enough how much I appreciate everyone here. Especially from the Pros who could easily keep their knowledge to themselves but go out of their way to teach us new guys. It's truly inspiring!

Im1fan2nv and Fox2twenty like this.
  2. Fox2twenty
    Inspiring

3. aussietanker
    @Squirg

Sorry, i messed up the quote function. I was trying to quote Squirg's post

Thanks so much. That is awesome information. :)

I remember a discussion on here "earlier" (probably a mere 100+ pages back! :) ) about whether the Egger or the Fotoplast shell material was the "clearest" and "most transparent". Was a consensus decision made on that? Has anyone used both with exactly the same equipment and conditions and has an opinion on it?

Also, what are you guys using now to create colors. I realize that you can get Fotoplast in clear, red, blue (and i think black) but there have been some awesome creative colors shown on here and wondered what the preferred solution for coloring shells is at this point

Again, thanks for all the advice and help.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 1:05 AM
  4. ForceMajeure
    I have talked about it a earlier in this thread. Again both are as clear as you can get. The differences are in the viscosity and curing.
    Personally I prefer Egger. I also prefer getting it clear (I assume the vast majority here does too) and using dyes to color it as I want to.

5. ForceMajeure
    I think the bulbs you are using have an longer wavelength (405nm, though it doesn't say in the ebay link, but usually if you are able to see the purple hue it means it's a bit higher in the wavelength).
    Which might help with curing materials that are harder to penetrate with shorter wavelength. Interesting.

Are you using plain black paint mixed with the resin or are you using dyes drops?

How many bulbs are you using simultaneously in your machine and what wattage per bulb 4w or 5w?

How long does it take you to cure clear shells with the same setup (what resin is used also)?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 3:20 AM
  6. aussietanker
    Thanks for the link. That was in fact the conversation that I was trying to remember. :)

So if most are predominantly using the clear material for their shells i presume that whatever dyes are being used to color the shell are being mixed in with the material used to make the shells BEFORE pouring the resin into the mold and curing the shells with uv ..and it is the more "decorative" and secondary colors that are added to the shells after they are uv cured. Am I understanding that correctly?

And finally, what are most people using to color the shells now?

7. ForceMajeure
    I don't understand this part.

usually the clear fotoplast is mixed with a bit of the color dyes until you get a uniform color then poured into the investment cup for curing.

8. aussietanker
    Ok..So you just mix the dye with the clear fotoplast until you get the color that you want and then you cure it with the uv light. That answered the first part of my question.

So what dyes are used. I haven't been able to find any mention of dyes on any of the websites that supply the Egger or the Dreve shell material

9. ForceMajeure
  10. ism1360
    Hello
    This is my first post..out of desperation(i'm more reader..shyness??

let's cut to the chase..

For me custom earphone is not fancy..i'm a slim build girl with small ear and even smaller ear canal..even can't use
    those slim tiny ear cleaner unless with force them in canal hard)

For this reson i can't use any earbuds/earphone (literally)

I didn't know about custom iem until recently..
    First i got exited...finaly...thanks god..
    But it didn't last as soon as i saw prices and the fact that i'm nowhere near of those componey's..
    So start searching for Diy ciem's...
    The more i read the more confused i get..
    So apparently it's not that simple..so i list my question's as small as possible

A-
    I talked to a hearing aid mekare lab and asked them if they could make shell like they do for people who have problem with hearing and i showed them the
    UE shells..they said yes and with very good price(acrylic or silicon about 100$ for 2 set)

The question is that i read somewhere in this forum that the acustic of hollow shell is important..but how? is there any guide on
    this subject?are these shells any good for my use?

B-
    In inside's stuff side..oh god..let's start with easiest one..

B-1
    is ther any really good assembled-tuned configuration with very good price ..i mean for example any one knows or make UE flagship (Ultimate Ears Pro 18+) drivers and other stuff inside of those shells?

If not then..

B-2
    Beside of the driver's what other things are needed?
    I heard people saying stuff like resitor or cross overs etc...
    For making a really good iem for music lover(im not pro musisian..just love musics) with sensetive ear
    What kind of stuff(driver.cross over..resistor..) is needed?
    Is there any simple but good map for this?

B-3
    In one of the UE video's the guy who was explainig the process of making CIEM said somthing like this:
    "we mesuring frequncy responce and tuning manually them"
    Another confusing subject..
    So if i buy driver i can't just stuffed them into the shell..
    How can i do that?is ther a standard?how to tune?

B-4
    Is it possible to buy a desent pair of IEM...open'em up and gut it out and put them inside of my custum shell without
    needing to tune them or mesure them?

---------------************-------
    1-sorry for bad english (if you have time correcting is always nice :)
    2-sorry for long list
    3-any help would be greatly appreciated ...
    Thank you

11. ForceMajeure
    First you should know that doing it yourself might not be the wisest decision because of the costs and the learning curve.

You asked many questions that cannot be answered to their full depth especially if you don't know about acoustics and electronics.
    If you watched a few videos about the manufacturing process I guess you saw how many parts their is going from ear impressions to the final product.

If you want to have ciems there are a few options. Either pay the full price and buy from a manufacturer like UE/JHaudio/64audio etc etc...you'll need to get ear impressions done by an audiologist and send it to them.
    Or you could buy a used ciem online and send it to reshelling service f.e Inearz in the US. They'll require you to send them you ear impressions done by the audiologist also. They'll open the ciem use the internals and transfer it to the new shell (that they will make themselves) that will fit you...

Another option is go nuts and do it yourself.You'll also need to get ear impressions...highly not recommended because it will end costing you much more than buying a new pair and require many trial and errors to get first good results.

A-
    I talked to a hearing aid mekare lab and asked them if they could make shell like they do for people who have problem with hearing and i showed them the
    UE shells..they said yes and with very good price(acrylic or silicon about 100$ for 2 set)

The question is that i read somewhere in this forum that the acustic of hollow shell is important..but how? is there any guide on
    this subject?are these shells any good for my use?

using dynamic drivers it has more importance, using regular balanced armature drivers attached to tubes not so much...

B-
    In inside's stuff side..oh god..let's start with easiest one..

B-1
    is ther any really good assembled-tuned configuration with very good price ..i mean for example any one knows or make UE flagship (Ultimate Ears Pro 18+) drivers and other stuff inside of those shells?

If not then..

there are combo drivers made from knowles pretuned with rather good sound like GQ,GV,GK series

B-2
    Beside of the driver's what other things are needed?
    I heard people saying stuff like resitor or cross overs etc...
    For making a really good iem for music lover(im not pro musisian..just love musics) with sensetive ear
    What kind of stuff(driver.cross over..resistor..) is needed?
    Is there any simple but good map for this?

there is no simple good map. there are known ways to tune things but they require a minimum of knowledge at least, every step affect the rest. even the size of the tubing and diameter, dampers used. crossovers wiring multiple drivers etc..
    Some drivers are good for bass range other for mids and other for treble. some are full range drivers. meaning they cover the all frequency range.

B-3
    In one of the UE video's the guy who was explainig the process of making CIEM said somthing like this:
    "we mesuring frequncy responce and tuning manually them"
    Another confusing subject..
    So if i buy driver i can't just stuffed them into the shell..
    How can i do that?is ther a standard?how to tune?

the majority of drivers are not full range good sounding drivers, there are however a few that can be used as is and might just need a damper.

Regarding "the measuring" it means that they measure every step of the process to make sure everything is sounding good and f.e tubes didn't detach from the drivers or wires got disconnected during assembly, left and right sound the same etc... so the end product matches the frequency response that was developed for that product

B-4
    Is it possible to buy a desent pair of IEM...open'em up and gut it out and put them inside of my custum shell without
    needing to tune them or mesure them?

Yes, you could use a reshelling service

---------------************-------
    1-sorry for bad english (if you have time correcting is always nice :)
    2-sorry for long list
    3-any help would be greatly appreciated ...

Again I have no way of evaluating your level of knowledge and how interested you are about doing it from zero or you were just looking for a good solution to get custom made iems. If you just want a pair of custom iem for cheaper than what they cost, then you should consider using a reshelling service.
    The majority of materials needed to make ciems yourself cost quite a bit and it adds up really fast. Drivers aren't cheap either...

Last but not least you said that you can't use qtips to clean your ears as they are too big for you to even pass the entry of your ear canal. if it's the case then it might be difficult to make a ciem for you. Not all ciem models might fit your ear even in a custom form. It all depends on you ear impressions and the evaluation of the manufacturer/resheller.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 8:40 AM
    ism1360 likes this.
  12. alanwcruz
    Hello there, been here reading for quite a while and now I'm able to build my own CIEM's. I started for exactly the same reason you comment, my ear canals are small and using regular ear buds caused pain. As has been mentioned, building your own takes quite a while and can get expensive real fast, it took me around a year to get a result i was happy with.

A while ago I made a pair for a friend of mine who had a peculiar ear shape, his ears are big but his canals are small, but the end result (according to him) was great.

It is posible, but not easy.

These are my friends: (can't really see the ear canal part but his canal was very wide and very thin, the thinest part was about 3mm)

IMG_9423.JPG

These are mine: (my canals are more round shaped with small diameter)

IMG_7403.JPG IMG_7402.JPG IMG_7401.JPG

MuZo2, zato23, ism1360 and 3 others like this.
  13. Shilohsjustice

I’ll make them for you, cut out all the hassle. Just the cost of materials and shipping you would need to cover, and you would need to get impressions made and sent to me. Your a music lover so the savant Clone would be ideal and cost effective. I’ll even make tutorial of the entire build so it’s relevant to the forum. Everyone deserves a high quality set of iem’s.

14. Squirg
    I have been using this stuff based on Shiloh's post a while back and been really pleased with it... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Resin-Obses...hash=item5424dd2af0:m:mdcC3uNu5BQQxxlkDyY8p_A

The machine I am using has a rotating platform and uses 3 bulbs at 5w simultaneously. It came with full spectrum bulbs and I am still searching for

Clear shells are complete at 15 seconds with Egger. Much more than that, the canals are solid. Haven't used Dreve in a while.

aussietanker likes this.
  15. ism1360
    First you should know that doing it yourself might not be the wisest decision because of the costs and the learning curve.

You asked many questions that cannot be answered to their full depth especially if you don't know about acoustics and electronics.
    If you watched a few videos about the manufacturing process I guess you saw how many parts their is going from ear impressions to the final product.

Hello again...Thanks for your time
    I know that now...but custom iem is my only option(i can't use headphones too..will get bad headache) and is so expensive and being in school and not having job is worst part..so i keep hoping and searching and trying for a cure...

If you want to have ciems there are a few options. Either pay the full price and buy from a manufacturer like UE/JHaudio/64audio etc etc...you'll need to get ear impressions done by an audiologist and send it to them.
    Or you could buy a used ciem online and send it to reshelling service f.e Inearz in the US. They'll require you to send them you ear impressions done by the audiologist also. They'll open the ciem use the internals and transfer it to the new shell (that they will make themselves) that will fit you...

Another option is go nuts and do it yourself.You'll also need to get ear impressions...highly not recommended because it will end costing you much more than buying a new pair and require many trial and errors to get first good results.

I'm not in the us or europe..and because of this it's more difficult and way more expensive for my to do this in normal way..just mailing cost me over 200$ ...
    going nuts need money too

there are combo drivers made from knowles pretuned with rather good sound like GQ,GV,GK series

are those combo's ready to use right out of the box or they need tuning too?
    Are they any good?

there is no simple good map. there are known ways to tune things but they require a minimum of knowledge at least, every step affect the rest. even the size of the tubing and diameter, dampers used. crossovers wiring multiple drivers etc..
    Some drivers are good for bass range other for mids and other for treble. some are full range drivers. meaning they cover the all frequency range.

the majority of drivers are not full range good sounding drivers, there are however a few that can be used as is and might just need a damper.

Regarding "the measuring" it means that they measure every step of the process to make sure everything is sounding good and f.e tubes didn't detach from the drivers or wires got disconnected during assembly, left and right sound the same etc... so the end product matches the frequency response that was developed for that product

I'm full of problems :frowning2:
    No knowlede...No money...No good ear..

Yes, you could use a reshelling service

So for instance i can cut a sony earphone and put the inside stuff of it in a custom shell without any tuning or using any damper or anything elese..right?

Again I have no way of evaluating your level of knowledge and how interested you are about doing it from zero or you were just looking for a good solution to get custom made iems. If you just want a pair of custom iem for cheaper than what they cost, then you should consider using a reshelling service.
    The majority of materials needed to make ciems yourself cost quite a bit and it adds up really fast. Drivers aren't cheap either...

Last but not least you said that you can't use qtips to clean your ears as they are too big for you to even pass the entry of your ear canal. if it's the case then it might be difficult to make a ciem for you. Not all ciem models might fit your ear even in a custom form. It all depends on you ear impressions and the evaluation of the manufacturer/resheller.

Oh...i get nervous :triportsad: worst part is i have very close eardrum too..so i can't put anything deep in my ear..

Once again thank you for your time and input..it mean so muchto me:smile_phones:

Hello :)
    It's so nice to know that there are people like you are out there...(feeling guilty for not being sad about this crappy situation)

how you did it?
    Especially those electronic stuff...do you have any electronic knowledge?
    Do you think hearing aid shells is suitable for this purpose?
    Thank you

Hello dear..

It was the nicest thing i'v heard in a long time...
    Thank you so much for being sensitive to people situation ...this much freedom from selfishness and be able to even think about something like that require a damn good wife/husband/partner/life...good for you and your relatives/friends ...get
    emotional & jealous

unfortunately i have too many problem for now.. it's very expensive for mailing to us/europe for me right now..will cost around 200$- tow way -(tax is insane)

But I'm saving now and i think i can buy it in 3 month from now .... so if you considering discount (student discount?) instead of free , please let me know...i'm interested..because if i wanna walk through this path i want a good &special one lol
    (is there any way to design a shell with Interchangeable tuning filters like RHA-T20 and interchangeable faceplate like small screw attaching to shell?that would be cool and for someone like me very cost effective

(it's personal thing...i prefer to pay people like you ..it's make me feel good and will buy some(even a little) time and freedom for people like you to help others..

(It's funny that i'v read many of your posts in this topic and waited so long for your tutorial that you promised before:ksc75smile:)
    Thank you again for your kindness and your time...:smile_phones:

Sorry again for bad english and talking too much

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 11:30 PM
    Firedrops likes this.