Home-Made IEMs
Oct 6, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #6,871 of 15,989
And once you start, you can't stop. It becomes like an obsession. Before you know it you have a lab in your house with equipment of all sorts. It's hard not to pursue perfection because each Piece is meticulously crafted and when there is an imperfection you analyze every aspect to prevent the same mistake in the next build. After a while it become somewhat second nature and you can almost tell how they will turn out just by the hollow shells. It does take lots and lots and lots of time to develop certain quality techniques. If you go through the pages of this forum you will certainly overcome many obstacles, I have posted several tutorials on the very issues I had trouble overcoming with regards to creating top quality builds. For the last year or so I've been saying I was going to put together a google doc with all the tutorials I've done so they are centralized and easy to get to. I'm seeing more and more new names in the forum and seeing past topics resurface that have been buried within the pages some months ago and some years ago so maybe I'll work on the build tutorial sooner than later.
Yay! In 4 the build tutorial!

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #6,872 of 15,989
For the last year or so I've been saying I was going to put together a google doc with all the tutorials I've done so they are centralized and easy to get to. I'm seeing more and more new names in the forum and seeing past topics resurface that have been buried within the pages some months ago and some years ago so maybe I'll work on the build tutorial sooner than later.
What may be a good starting point is putting some special keywords into post that contains tutorials or advices. When everyone will put let's say something like "#ShellBuildingTutorial" or "#CrossoverTutorial" in their particular posts they will be easily accessible through the search function.

A big Google doc would be even better of course :)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #6,873 of 15,989
What may be a good starting point is putting some special keywords into post that contains tutorials or advices. When everyone will put let's say something like "#ShellBuildingTutorial" or "#CrossoverTutorial" in their particular posts they will be easily accessible through the search function.

A big Google doc would be even better of course :)

I tried to set up something like this a while ago and did not succeed.

To succeed you need to define the objective and audience of such documents and you will need a team of committed people with good coordination and with a sufficient amount of expertise in many areas which commit time and knowledge to certain sections. It should also be clear about intellectual property for any avanced knowledge shared (particularly by members of trade) where applicable.

As alternative, instead of a document, I would suggest to use a wiki or equivalent and split up the work. Its set up pretty easily if someone has access to a cheap host.

One very welcome item would be a mailing list for group buys of certains components for building IEMs.

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #6,874 of 15,989
For me, BK didn't play well with TWFK, but paired with WBFK (and CI for lows) like in 64's V3, it works as a good mid.

I really like the BK as mids - nice thickness, sounds really smooth. However, no matter how I tune it, it seems to be very slightly veiled compared to the CI.

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #6,875 of 15,989
I don't want to complicate it, just a document that has the tutorials past and future collected onto 1 document to share for those wanting to get started without the cumbersome process of going through each page like we did when we started out. I'm going to do a retro build also using uv nail polish to pay homage to where we started and for those who are not at a place like some of us who are now using industry standard products. Stay tuned for that. I ordered the uv nail polish but it won't be here for like 3-4 weeks.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #6,876 of 15,989
I don't want to complicate it, just a document that has the tutorials past and future collected onto 1 document to share for those wanting to get started without the cumbersome process of going through each page like we did when we started out. I'm going to do a retro build also using uv nail polish to pay homage to where we started and for those who are not at a place like some of us who are now using industry standard products. Stay tuned for that. I ordered the uv nail polish but it won't be here for like 3-4 weeks.

Really looking forward to this, it will help us alot for sure!

Oct 6, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #6,877 of 15,989
Looks good! I like the faceplates. What material did you use/how did you go about printing the logo?

Hello and thank you! :) i used some ebony wood then sanded it flat then applied custom decals i ordered from guys on internet here and then applied the dreve lacquer. But the lacquer do not work well with the white resin on the decal. This white stuff just peels away easily. But yeah for now this is the only method that worked for me!

We home brew PRO grade CIEM's!!!!

And then this guy comes in and blinds everyone with his awesome skills :) wow man I wish I managed to have this quality shells, it's something! Really nice job!

Oct 6, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #6,879 of 15,989
All of the hard work you guys put in will pay off!!
Some recent ones I have done.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #6,880 of 15,989
All of the hard work you guys put in will pay off!!
Some recent ones I have done.

Awesome! They look absolutely fantastic ...

Can I ask ...

1) how many "goes" have you had at getting to this standard of manufacture ...

ii) can you give us an idea of what drive units and caps etc are inside ...

iii) are you happy with the sound signature and is there anything that you would change

iv) How did you do the decals? what are they made out of?

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #6,881 of 15,989
Hello Guys I´m here again.

I managed to do the Gelatin+glycerine negatives as described by Shilohsjustice. They have good consistency and it can be melted again to try again, in case the first try wasn´t successful. I´ve also been playing with the drivers I ordered to see how they would combine in frequency and phase, I think I got the right combination of tube lengths and polarity.

About the tubes, I went to a medical supply store and found FEEDING TUBE gauge 8FR (15 in long used for adult) and gauge 5 (35 in long used for infant). The gauge 5 fits perfect in the dirvers port and it fits inside the gauge 8 tube. The dampers fit a little tight in the gauge 8 tube, but if you stretch it out a little, they will fit with a little struggle. Each tube was about 50 cents of a dollar (8 Mexican Pesos).
DSC_2093.JPGDSC_2095.JPGDSC_2095.JPG

I just got the EGGER UV resin last week after a loooooong international shipping time but I haven´t bought the UV nail lamp because I´m not sure what wavelenght is necessary to cure the EGGER UV. Does any of you have information if it has to be a specific wavelenght? or it can be any uv light and the only thing to look for is the curing time?

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• DSC_2096.JPG
    DSC_2096.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back