Home-Made IEMs
Jul 30, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #2,086 of 15,980
Hm, I just realised that it does have a vent. What do I need to do with it? As long it's uncovered within the shell it's okay already?

Also, maybe you can just rearrange the layout a little to fit in all the drivers? HODVTEC is like a DTEC in size, so it's quite square from the front as opposed to the flatter profile of CI.

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #2,087 of 15,980
I think you can just leave it open? Blocking the hole gives a difference sound too :p The DTEC will probably stick out of the shell for me, don't think it will be suitable unfortunately 

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #2,088 of 15,980
  FitEar also uses a similar method. Though I wouldn't recommend it for the cost involving isn't suitable for a DIY project, unless you wanna go all out.

Actually there is no real benefit with using this method unless you have right compensation for it. So for DIY and to compare one measurement to other you can just use a tube instead.

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #2,089 of 15,980
^ That tube is no different than a downgraded 2cc coupler, and you still need to compensate in the end.

Anyway I've never tried this route before. But I think the idea is to have better seal when measuring since everyone's earmoulds are unique. The probe used there is a G.R.A.S 711 so there's no need for compensating later.

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #2,090 of 15,980
The stainless steel chunk with the microphone inside is the 711 that can record the actual frequency response without the need to compensate right :p?

If you can buy things off China I can recommend a very good tool for DIY measurements

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #2,092 of 15,980
I hesitated before since the seller told me it is borderline illegal. But anyways, hopefully DIYers can benefit from this before anything happens.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.9.13.vsgG3j&id=37135316408&_u=ukqv5el5e70

Jul 30, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #2,093 of 15,980
Wait only 499 yuan?! o.O 

What brand is that?

Anyway if it's illegal you might need to keep it to PM.

Jul 30, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #2,094 of 15,980
The guy apparently copied a IEC711 and used a similar microphone that has comparable performance for DIY use. From my ARTA tests with my UERM the performance seems to be quite well. It only requires your computer to have a sound card that is nice and flat.

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2,096 of 15,980
Actually my intent was not about seal, but trying to mimic the actual dimensions of the ear and impedance it presents to the custom IEM.  From my own earmolds, I know I have quite a bit of difference in the diameter of my left and right ear canals.  I thought this might be a better of way of tuning the IEM than using a straight pipe.  It seems that BA drivers are a lot more sensitive for this, but maybe I'm striving for false precision here.  

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #2,097 of 15,980
  Actually my intent was not about seal, but trying to mimic the actual dimensions of the ear and impedance it presents to the custom IEM.  From my own earmolds, I know I have quite a bit of difference in the diameter of my left and right ear canals.  I thought this might be a better of way of tuning the IEM than using a straight pipe.  It seems that BA drivers are a lot more sensitive for this, but maybe I'm striving for false precision here.  

I would say if you have the time, go for it, but have you actually looked at the ear canal beyond the mold? As I understand, whatever you see up to the first bend on the mold will be solid acrylic, so it won't affect the sound at all. Only the parts that you don't actually keep in the mold will become part of the "cavity" before the eardrum. At the very most, you can go up to the 2nd bend depending on how deep the original impressions are?

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #2,099 of 15,980
Dunno what mic it uses actually. But yes, you just plug it in to the mic port, and the output from your regular audio out, with all sound effects turned off. It's not super accurate but its miles better than having no measurement at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back