Home-Made IEMs
Apr 18, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #13,891 of 15,989
Tho right now, in some cases I laser cut my faceplates to the exact shape and dimensions of the shell since I don't trim impressions anymore. I scan them, 3D model them and 3D print them so I have basically the way to perfectly cut or even make an outline to cut the faceplate.

My method:
1. Scan impressions
2. Trim impressions via 3D modeling.
3. Export a dxf file in in the shape of the trimmed impressions.
4. Print impressions
5. Either laser cut or create an outline to cut the faceplate from the dxf file i made.

Apr 18, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #13,893 of 15,989
Thanks, I basically did all of these things. Thought about doing a hybrid and actually tried it with some BAs I harvested from old iems but it didn't quite work so I'll have to get some different drivers. Then I still have the problem that I can only get the bass to be flat all the way to 1k and haven't figured out how to get a 300hz to 1k dip like you said. I also don't want to add another bass driver because the planar takes up so much space and at that point I'd just be covering it up. What annoys me is that there are so many sets out there using the same drivers that all measure very close to each other but I can't get anywhere near that.

Damp the back vent a bit more and it should dip actually. I also just used a BA for the pinna.

Apr 18, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #13,894 of 15,989
Tho right now, in some cases I laser cut my faceplates to the exact shape and dimensions of the shell since I don't trim impressions anymore. I scan them, 3D model them and 3D print them so I have basically the way to perfectly cut or even make an outline to cut the faceplate.

My method:
1. Scan impressions
4. Print impressions
5. Either laser cut or create an outline to cut the faceplate from the dxf file i made.
Wow, this is leagues away from what I'm doing with my dremel. I started with rejected impressions (the good ones were sent off) and did a poor job of cutting/fixing them so have made life difficult from the beginning. Having everything digital sounds like such a luxury

Apr 18, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #13,895 of 15,989
I started assembling faceplates to shells....I have some pics in the thread a ways back...then grinding, polishing, and 1st law coat. I then exacto the faceplate off and reassemble. This way helps me really bevel the faceplate/shell interface for a good look. I did catch an edge once and it ripped everything in half, tearing up my connections. That's why I do it this way now....I'm not as good as matt! Lol
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Maybe I'm heavy handed but I like to run them under water when sanding as I can't get them smooth otherwise. I'm going to try this way but I have realised that the shape of the faceplates isn't great or consistent and there isn't much I can do about that now. Mostly down to the way I cut (and patched up) the original impressions which is way more difficult than I'd thought. Digital is definitely the way to go if you can

Apr 18, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #13,896 of 15,989

My method:
1. Scan impressions
4. Print impressions
on my side I model the 360 fusion faceplates to the shell size, I send this to my 3D printer directly

https://ibb.co/ZBsTsLz

https://ibb.co/r2mvsxq

Apr 18, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #13,898 of 15,989

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220419-093908.jpg
    Screenshot_20220419-093908.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #13,899 of 15,989
Wow, this is leagues away from what I'm doing with my dremel. I started with rejected impressions (the good ones were sent off) and did a poor job of cutting/fixing them so have made life difficult from the beginning. Having everything digital sounds like such a luxury
Oh man. I've been doing the regular stuff like trimming and waxing for years on end. Just started with the new method for a couple of months now.

Apr 19, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #13,900 of 15,989
Oh nice! How did you create your shells?

We somehow have the same process I guess.
I changed my method a little bit I mainly use meshmixer to cut STL files, then I make a hollow in a part of the shell leaving the nozzle full.
Then I pass my file in F360
just to add tubes and connector notch

Attachments

• IMG_20220219_003317.jpg
    IMG_20220219_003317.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #13,901 of 15,989
I changed my method a little bit I mainly use meshmixer to cut STL files, then I make a hollow in a part of the shell leaving the nozzle full.
Then I pass my file in F360
just to add tubes and connector notch
That was actually what I did back then. I slice the canal off, hollow out the shell(which leaves the canal solid) and combine them together. Now I hollow them out again entirely and do everything in F360.

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #13,903 of 15,989

My method:
1. Scan impressions
4. Print impressions
What are you using to scan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back